Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Half-ton man drops 321 pounds, and still counting , how do you get THIS fat

Man trying to lose 800 pounds
    Doctors treat man who once weighed half a ton

Patrick Deuel, 42, weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to a Sioux Falls hospital eight weeks ago.

SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota (AP) -- A man who once weighed more than half a ton has lost 321 pounds under the care of a team of doctors and hopes to lose 450 pounds more.

Patrick Deuel, 42, of Valentine, Nebraska, weighed 1,072 pounds when he was admitted to Sioux Falls' Avera McKennan Hospital eight weeks ago. Deuel, who is just under 6 feet tall, is on a 1,200 calorie-a-day diet.

"If we hadn't gotten him here, he'd be dead now," said Fred Harris, Deuel's lead doctor.

The former restaurant manager has been bedridden since last fall. He has battled heart failure, thyroid problems, diabetes, pulmonary hypertension and arthritis, and needed help just to roll over in bed.

"Until recently, I wasn't able to see any light at the end of the tunnel," he said Monday from his hospital bed.

A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

According to the Guinness World Records Web site, the record for heaviest man in the world is 1,397 pounds (629 kilograms), held by Jon Brower Minnoch of Bainbridge, Washington, who died in 1983.

Deuel, who has battled weight problems all his life and blames his condition in part on genetics, said it took months to find a hospital. Hospitals closer to his home balked at admitting him, he said.

"I got scared because I couldn't help him anymore, and I didn't know who would help him," said his wife, Edith.

Harris said Deuel's care could cost millions of dollars, much of which the hospital may have to cover. Officials found a special ambulance, and hospital workers joined two beds to accommodate Deuel.

One of Deuel's goals is to walk out of the hospital. He also wants to go to a Nebraska Cornhuskers football game, and just take a walk with his wife.

"Even though he's faced negativity all these years, he's not a negative person," Edith Deuel said. "He's almost always been able to stay bubbly and make jokes and be happy."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	8887  
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 08-11-2004 at 03:47 PM.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: Half-ton man drops 321 pounds, and still counting , how do you get THIS fat

I can understand being genetically predisposed to being overweight... but to be 800 overweight? Come ON!

I think Krispy Kreme is to blame here
    [font=verdana]Madness take its toll. Please have exact change[/font]
    [font=verdana]Life's short and hard like a bodybuilding elf... - Blood Hound Gang [/font]
    I'm a trendy tote bag!

genetics??? what the crap!!! no, you're hand is to blame, shovelling whatever consumable products you could reach into your mouth!

maybe i'm wrong, and he used a feedbag instead of his hand.

but it is happy news that he may be able simultaneously lose all that weight and send the hospital into bankruptcy because they have to treat him and his twin that he ate.

I love that part about the "League of Human Dignity" getting him to a livestock scale, it just makes me chuckle because it sounds so ironic, I mean, how much dignity could the guy have had being carted over to a local cow scale?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I know. I chuckled to myself about that as well. "Hey, my fat hippo chubster friend, you're so big that we need to weigh you on a livestock scale! Roll on, fatty fat hat!"

and he didn't even break the record... probably the scale, though.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

I seriously wonder what it feels like to have that much weight on your frame. It's got to be one of the most uncomfortable feelings around! I mean I feel freeken uncomfortable when I'm bloated and that's only about 5 extra pounds once a month. I hope he's able to lose the weight he wants!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Remember Walter Hudson? The was around 1400 lbs IIRC. I can not understand getting to be this big. I mean, didnt it bother this person when they were 300,400 lbs? But to get near 1g in lbs. is absurd.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

This guy makes Fat Bastard look skinny!

(and not the Fat Bastard in the scene when his neck resembles something else )

Really though, how could you let yourself go that badly? I don't think it's genetics at all, there's no gene that automatically makes you balloon up to half a freakin' ton!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram