Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

What does Tycho do with his big collection? Some display pictures.

Many of you ask me what I do with 30 figures of Obi-Wan Kenobi, etc.?

Here's an introduction to my display style. I'll post a little and wait for some comments and then post some more.

I've added labels within the pictures, so they don't really need an introduction.

These first shots were made to finish off the film in a disposable camera I had taken to Disneyland and my girlfriend's birthday.

I decided to start my presentation with Episode One - Scene 1, and take you on a tour of some of my displays in chronological order with the movie.

This first set chronicles the main highlights of the adventure of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPM Jedi Adventure Cases.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	8929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the Jedi's warm welcome.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	8930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duel of the Fates.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	8931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Legacy of the Jedi.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	8932  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Re: What does Tycho do with his big collection? Some display pictures.

Nice pics Tycho. Its hard to tell but do your cabinets have lights in them or is it just the flash of the camera off the mirrors that I'm seeing? I'd also be interested in what room each of your pictures was taken from. You're one of the few people I know of who has their collection spread throughout their entire place.

I really need to buy a camera so I can take some pics of my stuff too.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Very nice display Tycho.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Nice spread so far! I can understand why some people complain about repaints or re-releases of certain characters, but if you display them like this, having multiple versions is an advantage.

Those cabinets look expensive. I made my own wall-mounted display cabinets and have about 400 loose figures (370 Star Wars '95-'02) currently on display. I have shelves devoted to specific scenes too, but usually from the OT, such as Bespin, the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, or Hoth, etc. I just display all prequel figures from their respective films together rather than in scenes. Those figures usually are relegated to the top shelves

Wow thats kinda nifty. I remeber you talking a little about those in front of the old spaghetti factory at CC. Did you just come up with that idea on your own?
    oh yea, more pics plz!
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

FINALLY!!

those are fantastic looking...even w/the figs being from ep1!

Very impressive!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Great idea, Tycho. You're the only person I know of who's doing sequential displays like that.

So, do we get to see the pictures from Disneyland, or your girlfriend's birthday?

Nice pics Tycho. Its hard to tell but do your cabinets have lights in them or is it just the flash of the camera off the mirrors that I'm seeing?
    It's the camera flash. My girlfriend has a digital that I'm going to get to borrow one of these days and then do this thing justice. These pics are hardly as good as I wanted, but thanks for the compliments. To me, I'm more interested in everyone's opinion about the contents and less so about the photography skills I totally lack

I'd also be interested in what room each of your pictures was taken from. You're one of the few people I know of who has their collection spread throughout their entire place.
    These are in the main hallway in my apartment. When I get my house, the "white Trade Federation synthetic look" will likely stay in a hallway. The scenes of this nature are smaller, and don't require a whole room to display them in. What you see is almost it.

In addition to these I'll be doing in the same locale:

The Rebel Briefing Scene as they plan the strike at Endor (on Home One)

The Trade Federation Bridge with (hopefully Capt. Daultry Dofine, Cmdr. Tey How, and some blue pilot droids and TC-14).

and the largest one in a plexiglass wall-hanging or case on a glass shelf....

Anakin in his N-1 fighter, streaking past Security Droids as he fires the topedos for the kill from inside the Trade Federation ship. I have the figures saved and the ship saved for the day when I can afford the space and the money to encase this scene.

I have a "white room" but it is my bedroom (and might remain my master bedroom set up, though that depends on how much space I have for Naboo-Endor in a new home), but the plans for the "white room" are very CLASSIC Star Wars: Hoth (mostly) Cloud City, and my custom Tantive IV. So it's all ESB with 1 thing ANH. That's just my preference.

I can understand why some people complain about repaints or re-releases of certain characters, but if you display them like this, having multiple versions is an advantage.
    Yes. When Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon arrive, they have their hoods up, so Jedi Duel figures with the accessory robes help them to match.

The Naboo figures are then used for the rest of the Trade Federation ship adventure.

When we get to the fight with Darth Maul, I used a lot of the Qui-Gon from the Theed Hanger Playset, because I needed 4 of those sets for my Hanger Dioramas, and I used the Deluxe Maul and Obi-Wan, as I liked their slight pre-posing.

Then I had a Deluxe Qui-Gon in there, just to change things up.

The Jedi Duel figures are aptly displayed.

Then I switch to the Softgoods ones for some different posing.

Finally there's the Obi-Wan vs. Maul 2-pack in there, and Obi-Wan softgoods wearing the Accessory robe for some variety and a stand-out look to show he's different now that Yoda (Flashback) has officially acknowledged his Knighthood.

The actual softgoods figures were made so the Jedi could be used in vehicles and actually sit. Besides the Royal Starship which was necessary to have them in, the Jedi don't USE any vehicles in TPM except for the yet unmade Gungan Submarine. I have softgoods figures of the Jedi for both these ships saved for the scenes I will one day display. I'm adamant they make the Gungan Sub for its uniqueness as well.

And I'll close with saying that when you need something like 30 Obi-Wan Kenobi figures to do all the scenes you're using him in, it's cool to not have to buy all the exact same figure. While I loathe resculpts and only buy them if I need them, I don't over indulge in any particular hero figure because I know they'll be resculpted.

I mean I also need 30 Episode 3 Obi-Wans, but at Midnight Madness, I'll buy no more than 10 because I can get 20 more in different versions one year or another, I'm willing to bet.

Those cabinets look expensive.
    $25 plus tax at Wal-Mart actually. I have several different versions of "Curio Cabinets" that you'll see in my forthcoming pictures. All in all I think I bought 13 or so of these cabinets, differing styles for different rooms. Wal-Mart tends to carry these more often closer to Christmas as gift items for "mom's" but they're stocked in the regular furniture section.

I made my own wall-mounted display cabinets and have about 400 loose figures (370 Star Wars '95-'02) currently on display. I have shelves devoted to specific scenes too, but usually from the OT, such as Bespin, the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, or Hoth, etc.
    Wow! Very cool.

I just display all prequel figures from their respective films together rather than in scenes. Those figures usually are relegated to the top shelves
    Shame on you Wait until you see what you can do with a good variety of prequel characters. This first group was pretty much just Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, but I'd like to hear what you think of Padme's adventures (coming next).

Meanwhile, one of my favorite little sections of the scenes displayed above is that with Nute Gunray, Rune Haako, TC-14, Darth Sidious Holo, and Darth Maul holo. I love the colors and the variety there.

I also like the colored Battledroids with OOM-9 and a couple Security Droids facing the Naboo Jedi - and the fact that a transformed Droid Fighter fits (at a slight angle) in the case in the first "Panel."

You're the only person I know of who's doing sequential displays like that
    Yeah. Lucas has said Star Wars is like a Comic Book, so I like the idea of doing frame panels, so you "read my displays, left to right, just like a comic book." Almost all of my displays are done in this style.

I'm planning a really cool layout for the Jango-Obi-Wan Rain Sequence Fight with 7 stages of their battle, all mapped out. I need a Super-Articulated WET Obi-Wan though (HASBRO!!!). I'm using 3-4 Ultras, but when he's caught up in the tangle cable and being pulled by airborne Fett, and while he's hanging, I can't use the Ultra Obi-Wan and am holding out for a better figure.

Did you just come up with that idea on your own?
    Yup. I wanted to do something original (and I can't keep myself out of the toy stores.)

So, do we get to see the pictures from Disneyland, or your girlfriend's birthday?
    I guess - she's posted pictures of me up on her family 'n friends online photo gallery, so I'm guessing this'll be ok with her. So here's me and my girlfriend from the dinner on the town I took her out on for her birthday.

Stay tuned, because I'm going to edit my pictures of Padme's adventure for posting next. It's another story sequence display.

Name:	birthday2.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	8933  
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

This here is part of my "green room" which is my current living room and will one day have to be the room I can get 4-5 large display cases against the walls into (requiring 24 to 30 feet of wall space around the edges - hopefully on 2 out of the 4 walls only).

This room will serve as:

Naboo
    Endor
    Possibly Yavin IV (as it does currently) and Kashyyyk.

Not pictured, (and almost all not even assembled due to my apartment's space constraints) will be:

The Royal Starship blasts out of Theed to help the Queen escape! (hopefully including a river with the Gungan Sub featured in it).

The Battle of Naboo (Gungan Grand Army versus the Trade Federation on the hills).

The Battle of Theed (Naboo RG and RS forces, engaged with BattleDroids in the streets while cut-aways into a building display 2 Hanger Playsets joined together, and the Generator Room Duel blazing in their own battles).

The Battle of Endor (Ewok villages, Scoutwalkers, Ewoks versus Stormtroopers galore!)

Now my Yavin IV is the size of an endtable, so it may not fit or over-kill the effect of the room, and Kashyyyk looks to be like a rather large ordeal to undertake, so I might have to have 2 separate "green rooms."

This might cause me to split my green rooms into Prequel and Sequel ones (sort of - the E3 scenes can go with Endor).

Anyway, you have a grasp of what my large Naboo scenes will be - and how many figures I collected to hold onto to do that.

Here are my smaller scene sets.

By the way, a similar E2 case for Naboo would feature

Padme meeting Queen Jamilla (both figures not yet made, but go with Anakin Peasant)

Pamde in yellow - nice to display just for the color

Padme in black leather temptation -

Padme in her nightgown - a figure you could use twice, but crucial to the night attack when Zam sicked the kohouns on her with the assassin droid delivery.

And of course, I've saved Anakin Secret Ceremony figures (his droid hand can be hidden if he's faced the right way) for these potential scenes. However, I'd like a SA, neutral expression, Anakin with the Vader-esqe hang to his Jedi robe done, as I didn't buy but 1 SC Anakin for these scenes (he isn't wearing his cloak when Padme wears Yellow). But for the balcony "nightgown" scene, an Anakin Peasant figure will suffice for me. It's getting too obscure to do Anakin in his night shirt. Padme's nightgown is again from a crucial scene earlier in the film - and heck, they make the assasin droid come with the first E2 figure of Obi-Wan for crying out loud - not to mention the Padme figure gives Zam Wessel's figure a purpose.

Well, back to my TPM cases from Naboo. E2's will be a long time in coming due to the lack of figures I require.

Name:	Padme's Adventure.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	8934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Padme's Courage 1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	8935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Padme's Courage 2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	8936  

I always read about your dioramas but I never thought they'd be like this! This must have taken alot of time and patience. I expected to see a million figures crammed into a sandbox and have it be Mos Espa. I'm just curious, do you open all of your figures or do you also have a carded collection on display? If so I'd like to see some pics. I always like to see a good carded/boxed collection displayed all over the place.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!