Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Important Warning regarding VOTC Vader

Last night, I opened up my VOTC Vader and was checking out the articulation when I got to the knees. I went to move the left one because I could see it was articulated and the lower leg broke halfway off.

Upon closer examination, I figured out that Hasbro had designed this figure to have a univeral-jointed knee, but unlike most uni-joints, this one was a rotation joint at the top, a hinge joint in the middle, AND a second rotation joint at the bottom. This lower rotation joint plugs into the lower leg at the boot and in the manufacturing process, the factory workers installed the joint and turned the lower leg forwards but because the uni-joint had rotation at the top AND bottom it can rotated freely from the upper AND lower leg so it ended up facing sideways instead of foward, so when I went to bend the knee, I didn't see that the uni-joint was facing sideways and the lower leg's connection to the joint broke with almost no effort.

Examining the other knee found the same thing, the joint was sideways and now that I knew what to look for I could see (just barely) how things were aligned.

Anyway, bottom line: if you plan on opening your VOTC Vader figure, double-check the orientation of the knee joint before trying to move it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Important Warning regarding VOTC Vader

Yeah you have to be careful with some of these figures these days. As I went to pull out R2's middle leg it was kind of stuck and I pulled too hard and it broke right off. This was the RAR2-D2 version.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

This is the only SW figure I've gotten that I have ever broken where the problem didn't stem from a stuck joint, I really hope that's not a sign of things to come.

That's too bad. Which R2 is that? RA? Removable Arm (aka the VOTC one)? The only other moveable-3rd-leg R2-D2s I can think of are Jabba's Barge R2 and Holo Leia R2. None of which would be pleasant to have break off really (and in fact, yours is the only sample I've ever heard of doing that, so I am quite curious).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yep...I broke Dagobah Yodas wrist trying to pose its cane....some joints are good in theory, but in practice are not strong enough to work.

Thanks for the heads up, JT. I guess I'm too careful with mine, if a joint won't release I don't go forcing the issue. I'm pretty much open and display anyhow. The only figure of mine that's ever been broken was my original small head Han from back in the day - my little brother got after him with a socket set and left him headless. Sad, and made even more sad by the horrible looking big headed replacement I wound up with.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    This is the only SW figure I've gotten that I have ever broken where the problem didn't stem from a stuck joint, I really hope that's not a sign of things to come.

That's too bad. Which R2 is that? RA? Removable Arm (aka the VOTC one)? The only other moveable-3rd-leg R2-D2s I can think of are Jabba's Barge R2 and Holo Leia R2. None of which would be pleasant to have break off really (and in fact, yours is the only sample I've ever heard of doing that, so I am quite curious).
    Oh sorry, it was the Bar2-D2 version (Jabba's Barge R2).
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I just read your post after opening my VOTC Vader. I didn't break anything, but thanks for the warning. This figure is very articulate, making the poses almost endless. GH has a greeat shot of him kneeling.

http://www.galactichunter.com/absolu...&box=&shownew=

That's the thing JJ, I didn't force it, I barely excerted any pressure at all, only enough to move a SA Clone's leg or the Cloud Car Pilot's leg, nowhere near enough (I thought) to break it.

Thanks for clearing that up Turbo, I am still quite surprised to hear that one broke, something I'll watch for from now on. Did it break off at the top, somewhere in the middle of the limb, or at the ankle?

Thanks for the warning JT. Of course the way they are imprisoned inside their packaging these days, it's amazing that more figures don't get broken.

The only problems I've had is with McFarlane toys, which often break before you open them. You have to be a member of the bomb squad to get those shoddily made (yet nice looking) toys out of the package without breaking them.

Don't get me wrong, the packaging is limited to a simple coffin blister bubble and plastic tray inside, and the tray itself is almost certainly never going to pose a threat to the figure. It's just how the figure was assembled and left in the package, how the knees were aligned sideways in respect to the upper and lower legs which is the threat here.

I know what you mean about McF though, Hasbro Saga was starting to suffer this too, you'd get these flimsy or brittle limbs twistied or clear-banded into the tray and removing it was a serious risk of damage. Breakage is one of the major issues that drove me away from the McF lines.