View Poll Results: Which collector-camp are you in?

Voters
578. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loose, open them up!

234 40.48%
  • Carded, keep 'em MOC!

219 37.89%
  • Both, one of each!

125 21.63%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Are you a loose or carded collector?

A simple issue which has been at the center of many a controversial argument in Star Wars collecting: when it comes to Star Wars figures, are you an opener or not? Some loose collectors feel theirs is the only way to collect, since after all, these are still toys; Some carded collectors are of the opinion that these are little mass-produced works of art meant to be appreciated while taking everything from figure to packaging into account, the OTC line seems to be designed to maximize this effect; still others collect one of each, loose and carded. No matter your reasoning, which camp do you belong to? Vote now and then make your case to support your position.

thanks to stillakid for the inspiration

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Are you a loose or carded collector?

Gotta go with carded(for now) I dont have room to set up any displays or anything, so what better way to keep all the pieces and figures intact. I might open them one day, but I never know.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I chose both. I for the most part am a carded/boxed collector. I like how carded figs look on display more so than loose figs IMO. But I also have a good number of loose figs (nothing on Tycho's scale but that man has a sickness ) that I had on display before I stored it all away.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I voted for one of each, but I actually collect a core group of characters on the card and display loose anything else that catches my eye.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

I started out with "both" in 1995 but with all the repacks and prequel figs I didn't want...it got to be overwhelming so now I keep very few carded (and am no longer a completist either which is a big relief) and so I voted for "open 'em!" To me, it's way more fun and that's why I collect star wars...to have fun and play!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic
    I started out with "both" in 1995 but with all the repacks and prequel figs I didn't want...it got to be overwhelming so now I keep very few carded (and am no longer a completist either which is a big relief) and so I voted for "open 'em!" To me, it's way more fun and that's why I collect star wars...to have fun and play!
    I fall in the same boat. At first I was just so shocked and delighted to see Star Wars back, that I wanted to get them all. I also didn't want to open them, because after bemoaning not having any of the originals left in their packages, this was my chance.

What finally changed things is when a nine-year old kid visited my house. To see his delight at all my figures turn to dismay at not being able to play with them, I realised that I had forgotten what it's all about - they're toys! I cracked a bunch of them open right there and just enjoyed watching him play with them.

That said, I do also feel the other side of the debate. After awhile, I get bored with the ones I have displayed, then they go away into the closet in a plastic bag. So when I look at them later, I do think, 'Was it really worth opening them?'.

The answer I've come up with is that trying to be a completist is foolhardy - I just don't have the cash or space. So giving up on that, about five years ago already, it certainly was a relief. Now I only buy the ones that I really like, and if I really like them, then I figure I might as well open them.

I find the regret comes in when you buy figures and keep them sealed for a long time. That really compounds the guilt of opening them. I think if you want to be able to hold the figures, then best do what you did as a kid - rip 'em open right away when you get home and never look back!

In a perfect world, I'd have a whole set to do what I want with and another whole set to hang up on the walls of my palatial mansion's 'Star Wars wing'. Unfortunately, money doesn't grow on trees and I'd rather have room in my flat to live than be surrounded by packaged toys. So I try to open them.

Nonetheless, it is with a pang of regret, but this is the same kind of feeling I have of regretting I don't have a million dollars. Nothing I can do about that, so no use dwelling on it.
    What am I, a Moisture Farmer, an Angry Loner or a Sith Apprentice - I can't keep up!

i get one of nearly all figs released and leave them on the card. only about 1/3 of them will i get a second (or third/fourth, etc) to open. with repacks becoming more and more common it cuts down on the number of openers i need to get.

I voted "both," but I'm certainly not buying "one of each."

For the most part, I'm a loose collector. If the figure is great or it's new, unique and looks cool carded, then I'll buy one to keep carded also. A toy has to earn a place in my carded/boxed collection.
    plasticfetish.net

I'm a loose collector. This is because I like to display/play around with my figures as well as a space issue. The only time I'll leave a figure packaged is if it's worth a significant amount of money or if it looks particularly good on-card (such as the VOTC).
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=red][I]Knightfall: Star Wars Stockboy Supreme[/I][/COLOR][/FONT]
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff][URL="http://www.xanga.com/red_megaranger"][/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

I'm one of these crazies that buys two: one to keep, one to open. Extras are bought on sale or on clearance.