Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Clerks II: The Passion of the Clerks!!

Great news for fans of Kevin Smith, it seems the long wanted sequel to Clerks may actually happen. And that it might not be the animated feature that was originally considered to be on the drawing board known as Clerks II: Hardly Clerkin'. Sounds good, but he definatly loves controversy doesn't he. I wonder how long before people are screaming about the planned name.
    We've talked about it, we've hypothesized over it, we've even emailed writer/director Kevin Smith drunk in the middle of the night, begging him to re-visit Dante and Randal from Red Bank's own Quick Stop convenience store and today comes word that Smith is indeed working on a sequel to his break-out hit, CLERKS, tentatively entitled THE PASSION OF THE CLERKS (uuuhmm, you might want to change that trendy title though) I'm about as happy as a little girl to hear that Smith will be going back to his roots with this film, which would pick up 10 years after the first one ended (thank God he didn't keep that original ending, eh?) and would apparently start filming as early as January 2005, with Miramax distributing. Here's what Smith himself had to say about it:

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex. It's: What happened to these dudes?"

Both Brian O'Halloran (Dante) and Jeff Anderson (Randal) have already signed on for the sequel, with Smith's alter-ego of Silent Bob and his stoner buddy Jay, returning as well. It will be interesting to see how Smith plays Jason Mewes' real-life drug problems into the story-line. For anyone who thinks this is Smith's way of making even more moolah, he insists that not to be true, estimating the new film's budget to be somewhere between $250,000 and $5M (the original reportedly only cost him $27,000, part of which he raised by selling his comic book collection) This film would now be at the top of his "to do" list, as he continues to write the screenplay for THE GREEN HORNET, a film which he will likely not direct anymore.

I'm not a big fan of "sequels to classics" myself (but when sequels to movies like GOODFELLAS are also being discussed, I guess that's the age we're living in), but have faith in Kevin Smith and his love and connection to these characters, so we'll see how this one goes.

This major announcement is timed perfectly with the 10-year anniversary DVD release of CLERKS, which will be coming out alongside his last film JERSEY GIRL, on September 7th. The CLERKS DVD is actually a 3-disc packed extravaganza, and apparently "inspired" Smith to re-visit his beloved characters once again. Phew...big news indeed.
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Re: Clerks II: The Passion of the Clerks!!

I guess when you get pummelled on the ropes you go back to your bread and butter. I think it would be a cool sequel.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Let's just hope that he films it in black and white just like Clerks. I think that gave the film a certain appeal to some people. I can't wait to see it!
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Finally, the news has broken! Kevin's been hinting at a "small project" for quite a while now.
    I love the idea, but I'm hesitant. (I just don't want to get too hyped.)
    He's got some pretty big expectaions to fill with this one - Phantom Menace style expectaions (on the "indie" film scale).

And yes, it better be in black and white. It was too weird seeing live action Dante and Randal in color in J&SBSB.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I'm sure it will probably be good. i haven't been dissappointed in any of his movies so far. I think Smith had to wait on this one because Jason Mewes was in prison for a while.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    I guess when you get pummelled on the ropes you go back to your bread and butter. I think it would be a cool sequel.
    Not sure what your talking about, but this sounds awesome.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Quote Originally Posted by SithDroid
    I think Smith had to wait on this one because Jason Mewes was in prison for a while.
    Jay was never in prison, but he did have some very serious drug problems for a while. Kevin said if he can get clean and stay that way that he'd consider bringing back Jay and Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    I assume he was talking about bombing of Jersey Girl.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    I assume he was talking about bombing of Jersey Girl.
    Well I really don't think that had anything to do with Kevin Smith. That was all Ben & Jen stuff that screwed up that movie.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

as i recall, smith said he was retiring the characters of jay and silent bob after "jay and silent bob strike back", but apparently jersey girl wasn't the mainstream hit he expected, so he's doing a sequal instead of something original.

I never saw Jersey Girl, but I heard it really sucked. I also heard he was trying to broaden his appeal with that movie.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car