Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Re: Jabba's Skiff Guards

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Dead-on.
    (Luke S, that's too funny)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Oh my, I never got the Luke S connection !
    In all seriousness, I do believe I'd heard somewhere that the Luke S-lastname was intentional.

We should all be grateful that Francis Ford Coppola didn't direct it first...

Coming to a galaxy near you... The Star Wars, from the Adventures of Copa Lightkiller. Now, that's an offer I'd have to consider refusing!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I've heard the "Luke S" thing too, but I dunno, the original hero Lucas wrote was Annakin Starkiller, and when the script got to something like the ANH we know and love, the character was drawn by McQuarrie to look like an older George Lucas (with the Luke-type character being a GIRL!).

"Fran Sith Copel-a"
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Man, I can't believe no none has posted this yet. Although, I am not sure the origin of "Starkiller"; the name "Skywalker" comes from Norse mythology. Lucas has admitted this many times in different interviews. The Norse god "Loki" (Luke) was also called by the name "the Skywalker." So, Lucas = Luke S; Loki "Skywalker" also = Luke S; thus Luke Skywalker.

Also, the name "Yoda" comes from a Japanese producer/director that influenced Lucas. The Japanese producer's last name was "Yoda". Any attempt of etymology between "Yoda" of Star Wars and "yodah, yudah, etc..." of the Hebrew Bible is lacking. "Yodah, yuday, etc.." transliterated into English is Judah. I won't go too deep into it, but there is significant evidence that Sephardic Hebrew (not Yiddish, which Jews speak today) was the Hebrew of the Bible; which pronounced the "Y, yod" as a "J".

Anyway, that is the thing I love most about the Star Wars saga is how GL has blended many different beliefs/ideas/stories from various myths, religions and cultures. To me, the Jedi knights are a blend of a secret society (Freemasons/Rosicruscians); religion (Catholicism/Taoism/Kabbalaist); and warrior (samuria/knights of round table).

Of course the Empire is the Nazis and the Rebellion is the Allied Forces. Luke Skywalker is a type of King Arthur; "Old Ben" Kenobi is a type of Merlin; etc. Another comparison/blend that seemed sorta obvious to me; but when I mention it to other people their like "yeah, I see what you're saying; but I never thought of that;" is Han Solo is the Lone Ranger type gunslinger (Lone/Solo) and Chewbacca is Tonto (the "savage" sidekick).

If you take the two trilogies, the basic premise of each are drawn from different mythologies/fairy tales. The OT is basically your "Dark Knight (Vader) kidnaps the Princess (Leia); takes her to his castle (Death Star); the Princess sends a message in a bottle (droids) to Merlin (Obi-Wan) to rescue her. Merlin asks Arthur (Luke Skywalker) to assist him, Arthur is given Excalibur (Lightsaber). Merlin and Arthur get passage across the Sea (space) on a ship of pirates (Han & Chewie) and rescue the princess. Of course later in the trilogy the heros climb the beanstalk to the city in the clouds (Bespin); Arthur gets his training from the "Drunken-Master" (Yoda); etc., etc., etc.

But the PT is really a Shakespearean Romeo and Juliet type tragedy with various other elements thrown in. Romeo (Anakin) is a demigod; Juliet (Padme) is a politician. The heros visit Atlantis (Gungan city); help a planet of Bigfoots (wookies) fight the revolution; all before Romeo and Juliet both die; etc. etc. etc... Also, since the PT is suppose to represent a more romantic/renessaince type era; there are a lot of things borrowed from old Flash Gordan movies, which also depicted a romantic-type future.

Another thing to think about is that not all names in the Star Wars saga came from GL. For example the name Orrinmarkko (sp?) i.e. Pruneface's proper name; came from West End Games and is a variant of Erin Marco, a friend of one of the writers for West End Games. Other names are Ponda Baba (which some of you are trying to find a connection to); Coruscant; Bith; Palpatine; etc. None of which were the creation of GL but came from West End Games or other writers.

Something else is I wonder why GL neve got around to using some of the names that were used in the original draft; for example the name "Deak" which was originally one of Anakin Starkillers children; or "Concord Dawn" one of the planet's names. I was at least hoping for a Clone battle on Concord Dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw
    Another thing to think about is that not all names in the Star Wars saga came from GL. For example the name Orrinmarkko (sp?) i.e. Pruneface's proper name; came from West End Games and is a variant of Erin Marco, a friend of one of the writers for West End Games. Other names are Ponda Baba (which some of you are trying to find a connection to); Coruscant; Bith; Palpatine; etc. None of which were the creation of GL but came from West End Games or other writers.

Something else is I wonder why GL neve got around to using some of the names that were used in the original draft; for example the name "Deak" which was originally one of Anakin Starkillers children; or "Concord Dawn" one of the planet's names. I was at least hoping for a Clone battle on Concord Dawn.
    True. I usually ignore the EU names, unless I find something that still seems to fit. But Palpatine is a Lucas creation, I think.

Deak is one of Luke's friends on Tatooine, I believe. He's (she's?) mentioned in the radio drama and novel, right?

Check the dozens of posts in this rapidly expanding thread for all the "proof" we've found!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

When I saw the Passion of the Christ and that one guy called Judas "Yudah" it reminded me of Yoda.

Sincerely,

Frank Skywalker (Fran from Francis and K from Coppo . . . oh nevermind. )

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    But Palpatine is a Lucas creation, I think.
    Nope.

Palatine n
    1: any of various important officials in ancient Rome
    2: (Middle Ages) the lord of a palatinate who exercised sovereign powers over his lands
    3: the most important of the Seven Hills of Rome; supposedly the location of the first settlement and the site of many imperial palaces.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Nope.

Palatine n
    1: any of various important officials in ancient Rome
    2: (Middle Ages) the lord of a palatinate who exercised sovereign powers over his lands
    3: the most important of the Seven Hills of Rome; supposedly the location of the first settlement and the site of many imperial palaces.
    What I mean is that he came up with the character name, not West End Games or something. Obviously the names have some allusions to other places, names, or people.

BTW, I always thought of "palpable" as a connection to the Emperor's name.

Concerning the name "Palpatine" being a creation of George Lucas; I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977; and it was not until I read that name in a West End Game sourcebook in the mid 1990's that I had ever heard of Emperor "Palpatine." Not saying its not possible; but I doubt it.

I do think you are on to something though with a lot of your etymologies. It would be interesting for Lucas to disclose more info on the names used in the movies.

I think the name Palpatine (referred to as a Senator) is mentioned in one of the OT novelizations, maybe the original Star Wars [ANH]. Palpatine is always referred to as the Emperor in the films though, so the name may been the creation of one of the authors who wrote the novelizations.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)