Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Jabba's Skiff Guards

Obi-Wan Kenobi -

Obi is a Japanese sash or belt, used to tie a kimono about the waist. (The word 'obi' in this context commonly appears in crossword puzzles, which is where I learned the meaning of it).

It is customary in Japanese social situations to add the honorific suffix -san to a person's name (as in Hanzo-san), which is equivalent to Mr, Mrs, Master, Miss, etc. -Wan may be a derivative of this honorific suffix. However, the word wan has other meanings in the Japanese language, one of which is the word "one" (Wan and one are phonetically similar too). This probably led to the wild speculation that Obi-Wan Kenobi might have been cloned - hence Obi-Wan(One) Kenobi, a first generation clone. This has since been discounted by the prequel trilogy.

Ken has multiple meanings in Japanese - one of which is sword or saber. So 'Kenobi' literally means 'sword belt.' The weapon of a Jedi, the lightsaber, hangs from his belt, never far from reach.

Japanese names are traditionally written family name (surname) first, then given name last, so Obi-Wan Kenobi could be a westernized homage to that Japanese naming convention. Plus the Jedi's name rolls off the tongue in a more lyrical fashion.
    Last edited by Ji'dai; 08-23-2005 at 09:44 AM.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Re: Jabba's Skiff Guards

There is a website http://www.jitterbug.com/origins/index.html that also gives some info on the origin of Star Wars. I was surprised to see that the opening crawl bit was originally used in Flash Gordon

I might get brought up on child neglect charges, as I've left my baby alone for almost a year now!

These aren't really word/place origins, but the story's from 1971, so maybe subsciously George remembered these details:

From the book The Lonely Men by Louis L'Amour

A woman uses the "you're my only hope" line to get a man to find her lost child.

"That was long ago and far away" was a line.

"The desert is not all hot sun and sand; there's the rocks too. Miles of them sometimes, scattered over the desert floor, great heaps of them now and again, or those great broken ridges of dull red or black rock like the broken spines of animals. They shove up through the sand, and the sand is trying hard to bury them again." [sounds a little like first views of Tatooine, perhaps]

Apaches torture a man tying him to a cottonwood tree. Their camp is below a cliff, where the hero watches them and sneaks in to the camp to free his friend. [kind of like Anakin, Shmi, and the Tuskens in AOTC]
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I just figured Lucas was so clever he thought of everything in Star Wars in a vaccum....

Speaking of inspiration, Lucas took major cues from Kurosawa's film, Hidden Fortress....check out this movie and all his samurai films, especially 7 Samurai and Throne of Blood....freaking amazing....

Also, did anyone ever confirm the term "Darth?" I head two versions, one meaning "dark", i.e. 'Dark-Father/Darth Vader;' but this doesn't hold up to 'Dark-Maul-Sidious, etc. The other I heard was "in," as in: 'In-vader,' In-sidious....
    Of course this doesn't work for 'In-maul,' or 'In-tyranus,' which if I remember right, Tyranus is 'King' (Dark-King?)...
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

In 1971's "Shaft", the title character calls up his girlfriend from a payphone, and they end the conversation thusly:

Girlfriend: "Baby, I love you!"

John Shaft: "Yeah, I know."
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

There's also a funny scene with a godawfully bad actress who tells Shaft to close the door himself, but I don't believe it inspired anything in SW.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

"Close it yourself, sh***y!" which becomes a catchphrase for the movie somehow. Maybe that catchphrase inspired Lucas to go back and make the prequels after all those years, but he misunderstood, thinking it was "Close it [the story] yourself, and make it sh**y!"
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but "Jinn" (or "Jinni") is some kind of spirit in the Muslim faith (maybe like a genie?). I thought this was cool, as Qui-Gon Jinn is the Jedi who teaches others to become spirits.

If you have a couple weeks to spare (j/k... it will take you one, two days straight, tops ), look through this thread. It's gots lots of info that several have found, including some on Mr. Jinn (qui is an accepted spelling for chi [as in one's own aura or energy], gon could be like "gone" or not here or dead... which would make him a genie of energy who's dead! ).

I don't recall if anyone had mentioned this one yet:

GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC: after the U.S. Civil War, the living members of the Union army created an organization made up of former soldiers called the GAP. With the Clone Wars about a split in the government (i.e. a civil war), this connection seems apt.