Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
    A few more that I've found:

Motti - I believe it's Norwegian for a pocket of troops
    Ashoka - Means "without sorrow" in sanskrit. There was an Indian Emperor named "Ashoka the Great"
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

It obviously has nothing to do with the matte/production painter's name, but I noticed on a map today that there's a Macquarie Island near Australia.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

While reading the second John Carter of Mars book, The Gods of Mars, I've noticed several details:

BANTH: a large, lion-like beast that roams around and attacks (it actually sounds more like a nexu than an elephant-type bantha animal)

JEDDAK: a title of a tribe leader or warrior (Jedi?)

THORIAN: another title or office, a high level ruler or elder (don't know how this'd fit a hammerhead creature)

There's a scene where the slaves are brought into an amphitheater to battle animals, but they break free, steal some swords, and fight their way to freedom, even after the guards come after them
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

More to add, now that I finished reading G of M...

They mention "repulsive rays" as the technology that allows ships to lift and fly (I prefer "repulsor," as it sounds less gross and unwanted ).

PADWAR: military or tribal rank, but not the top level (very similar to padawan).

This may have mentioned before, but Endor is the name of a biblical village.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

And there was a witch there. I don't believe her name was Charal, though, and I know Wilfred Brimley didn't defeat her with oatmeally goodness.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    And there was a witch there. I don't believe her name was Charal, though, and I know Wilfred Brimley didn't defeat her with oatmeally goodness.
    One time ALF called Mrs. Ockmonek the Witch of Endor.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

A nice little book called simply Star Wars by Will Brooker has had a few gems.

21-87: Princess Leia's cell block number was from a film of the same name by Arthur Lipsett. The book also breaks down specific scenes and the films Lucas "borrowed" for said scenes' set-up.

If you treat the apostrophe as a comma in an anagram, Utris M'toc can be re-arranged to form a title, a la I, Claudius, of a less-than-polite body part. I'm not sure if this is total coincidence, or if someone was playing a dirty joke on fandom.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

"Barada" is also the name of a beer company in Damascus, Syria:
    http://www.baradabeer.com.sy/english/glance.htm

In ROTJ, the character of Barada was played by Dickey Beer.

I just thought that was too amazing of a coincidence to not pass on.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis