Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    POTE SNITKIN: AMC had on a classic movie (can it show any other type? ) called Battleship Potemkin, of which I haven't seen all the way through, but as it has impact in filmmaking (according to the brief internet searching I did) and was likely seen by Lucas in his schooling days. With ships involved, as well as smaller skiffs, in the film, it's possible that name (maybe moreso than the Escape From NY character) fit the guard around Jabba's sail barge.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

BIGGS: character name from Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. Spoiler: he gets killed.

Not a direct correllation, but I've got to wonder if it was inspiration....

The Republic currency is "datary." The Roman currency was a "dinar," plural form "dinarii." Did they just substitute the word "data" for "dina," which means money in so many languages it would be easily recognizable?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eFdUSnaQM

Ever notice the Gorn (is that right?) appears to be carrying a lightsaber hilt? Wonder if that influenced the design?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

Ever notice the Gorn (is that right?) appears to be carrying a lightsaber hilt? Wonder if that influenced the design?
    If memory serves, those devices were "universal translators" (like a microphone) so that Kirk and the Gorn could talk to each other. I think it was the influence for Mr. Microphone....

http://www.greentreegazette.com/Reme...d.aspx?art=367
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

The novel The Coming Race by Edward Bulwer-Lytton from the 1850s or so had a few references that could fit for SW...
    - the females of the race are called Gy-ei, but are spelled Jy-ei in a semi-phonetic way (seems close to Jedi)
    - the vril is the electric 'force' that this race uses has telepathic and some telekinetic uses, they use a staff to focus its energy (like a lightsaber would do?), this energy is in all things, and users vary in their ability to use it

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

Worst fight ever!

It's been a while since I've found something, but driving north this weekend, I saw a Lerdo Road (or some type of driving surface: highway, avenue, street, etc.) and remembered the memorable Ewoks TV movies.

LERDO: in Spanish, this word means clumsy, slow, or idiot-like, and when Wicket uses it in the Ewok movies, it’s a term of insult.

Not sure if it's come up yet, but Burroughs' Mars series has two especially dangerous creatures called sith and banth. Given that both of these names showed up in the original Star Wars (with one letter added for "bantha"), I'm thinking that's not just coincidence.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by the 6/17/09 Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    While reading the second John Carter of Mars book, The Gods of Mars, I've noticed several details:

BANTH: a large, lion-like beast that roams around and attacks (it actually sounds more like a nexu than an elephant-type bantha animal)

JEDDAK: a title of a tribe leader or warrior (Jedi?)

THORIAN: another title or office, a high level ruler or elder (don't know how this'd fit a hammerhead creature)

There's a scene where the slaves are brought into an amphitheater to battle animals, but they break free, steal some swords, and fight their way to freedom, even after the guards come after them
    Nope. Nobody mentioned one of 'em before.

WHITSUN [BERU WHITESUN?], or WHITSUNDAY: Old name for Pentecost, a Christian religious feast day related to the Chosen One, born in a virgin birth, Jesus, 50 days after Easter. Aunt Beru Whitesun-Lars watched over the son of the Son of the Mitichlorians.