Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Jabba's Skiff Guards

I've been reading Dante's The Divine Comedy, which includes three parts: The Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso. I have to wonder if Lucas read these and was influenced by them. I'll need to wait until after ROTS comes out to make final determinations, but the plots and some small details are kind of similar at times.
    "That's what Sheev said."

[sing along in your best Weird Al Yankovic voice: "A long, long, time ago..." ]

An obvious one...

GRIEVOUS: causing sorrow or pain

Forgive me if this has come up before at some point:

Myrkr: The densely-forested world where Luke Skywalker must evade capture by a bad guy who is soon to become a good guy.

Mirkwood: The dense forest where Bilbo Baggins must evade capture by elves, who are (sorta, at the time) bad guys but will soon become good guys.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    *In an Isaac Asimov book (Second Foundation, I think), he occasionally uses the word ''wizard'' as an exclamation, similar to Anakin and Kitster in TPM. (9/6/00)
    +My Grandma says that ''wizard!'' was an expression from the '40s. (9/7/00)
    The band of school boys in William Golding's Lord of the Flies also use "wizard" as an exclamation.

DR. TREADWELL (Treadwell droid?): While sitting in line for ROTS, I was reading Skywalking, the unauthorized/authorized (it says it's unauthorized, but with Lucas' permission ) biography of George Lucas. Many of you may have known he was in a very bad car accident when he was in high school. Well, the doctor who treated him was Dr. Treadwell, the name of a multi-armed droid in SW.

COMMANDO CODY (Commander Cody?): There was a 1950s-era movie serial called Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe, and the head of the clone army who reported to the Jedi and Chancellor in Revenge of the Sith is named Commander Cody. Also, there was a band from the sixties or seventies called Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, who named their band after a film of that title, apparently. One of the band members died in a car crash, and of course, Lucas survived one himself, but that's just coincidence, I think.

I was waiting on this one, but with all the numerous Bush/Palpatine parallels Lucas draws in ROTS, it's gotta be done:

Felucia: Fallujah???
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Darth Plagueis - powerful Sith Lord whose mastery of the Dark Side enabled him to manipulate the midichlorians to create life and defeat death. Darth Sidious (Palpatine) may have been his pupil.

Plague - from the Greek word meaning misfortune. An affliction, calamity; deadly epidemic disease. Also to vex or torment. Source - Webster's New World Dictionary
    Last edited by Ji'dai; 05-23-2005 at 03:38 PM.

LUMINARIA? UNDULATE? (Luminara Unduli): a luminaria is a small light in honor of someone or something, like those paper bags on sidewalks with candles in them, or what the Relay For Life for the American Cancer Society uses to honor cancer survivors and victims. The word undulate means "to cause to move in a smooth wavelike motion," or "to give a wavelike appearance or form to." I suppose a smooth-moving Jedi of the light side of the Force would be appropriate.

I'm still stumped on "Mustafar." I know that "far, far away" could be related, as it's a far-off isolated world, but I seem to recall hearing the name similarly elsewhere (and not just Mufasa, voiced by DV speaker James Earl Jones). Will inform you what I discover.

Quote Originally Posted by moi
    I'm still stumped on "Mustafar." I know that "far, far away" could be related, as it's a far-off isolated world, but I seem to recall hearing the name similarly elsewhere (and not just Mufasa, voiced by DV speaker James Earl Jones). Will inform you what I discover.
    Well, here's a stretch, as several of my sleuthings have been.

There is a "primitive artist" who goes by the name of Fakir Musafar. It's based on a 12th century Persian philosopher of the same name who believed that "You can learn about God through your body." Anyway, the current Fakir Musafar is a photographer and tatoo artist who shows people with piercings, markings, and such. Maybe the look of a person with things attached to them was to be a foreshadowing of the cyborg prosthetics Anakin gets to become Vader. I don't know.

BTW, this info came from a few websites I scanned and skimmed over.