Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Question

HERMETIC ORDER OF THE GOLDEN DAWN (Hermi Odle?): An organization that was founded in 1887 about occult and esoteric (hidden) knowledge. Joseph Campbell has mentioned the group in his works. The group seems to have nothing to do with the SW character, but perhaps the name was known to Lucas.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Question

HAN: Japanese term for a county or region of land, with boundaries. Combining it with "Solo" would make it either "land alone" or "one land." Perhaps like "no man is an island"?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Red face

SITH: archaic version of the word 'since.' And the Sith have been around "since" when? It's a stretch, as most of these have been, of course.

Thumbs up

Some Attack of the Clones names in here (not really Classic Trilogy, but it still fits) -

ANDAMAN (Amanaman?): name of an Indian Ocean island group. Marco Polo was the first European to visit them, and he called it "the land of the headhunters." Perhaps making up the phrase "A man, a man, and a man" sounded funny to Lucasfilm employees?

CAPE WESSEL (Zam Wessell?): city in Australia, in the Northern Territory.

EL CAMINO (Kamino): Chevrolet automobile. This one's pretty obvious, considering Lucas' love of fast, muscle cars.

GENESIS (Geonosis): planet from Star Trek movies that was originally barren and desolate but made new with the Genesis Device. The Clone War "began" on Geonosis, just like the Earth "began" in the book of the Bible "Genesis. Again, probably another easy connection.

Kull was horrible. A local comic shop gave us free tickets to a sneak preview. The fact that it was free couldn't even save that movie.
    "Asteroids do not concern me, Lucas. I want those DVD's, not excuses."

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Some Attack of the Clones names in here (not really Classic Trilogy, but it still fits) -

ANDAMAN (Amanaman?): name of an Indian Ocean island group. Marco Polo was the first European to visit them, and he called it "the land of the headhunters." Perhaps making up the phrase "A man, a man, and a man" sounded funny to Lucasfilm employees?

CAPE WESSEL (Zam Wessell?): city in Australia, in the Northern Territory.

EL CAMINO (Kamino): Chevrolet automobile. This one's pretty obvious, considering Lucas' love of fast, muscle cars.

GENESIS (Geonosis): planet from Star Trek movies that was originally barren and desolate but made new with the Genesis Device. The Clone War "began" on Geonosis, just like the Earth "began" in the book of the Bible "Genesis. Again, probably another easy connection.
    Lott Dodd

Senator Trent Lott and another Senator (forgot his first name) Dodd
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

Lott Dodd

Senator Trent Lott and another Senator (forgot his first name) Dodd
    Good catch D! You are talking about Senator Christopher Dodd from Connecticut. His father also served as a Senator from the state. I wonder if this was a shot at our political system since both are from different political parties?
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner

Good catch D! You are talking about Senator Christopher Dodd from Connecticut. His father also served as a Senator from the state. I wonder if this was a shot at our political system since both are from different political parties?
    I bet it is...I hardly see Lucas being political in nature at all...he's totally got his own universe to run and no one can come close to helping him do it He is truly in his own little world
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Originally posted by JediTricks
    Not Krull, that was the fantasy/sci-fi film that co-starred Liam Neeson and that cool throwing star weapon, Kull the Conqueror was supposed to be the last Conan movie, but Arnie backed out and Sorbo joined the cast after Hercules was almost finished. Kull was another character from the same creator as Conan, so it was in the same theme, but the movie didn't work because of what I believe is bad editing and bad choices on the producers' parts. I thought the movie could have been good if they had played it straight like the Conan movies, but instead they tried to "hip" it to today's youth.

"'Klaatu barada nikto' my metal arse! I'm gonna go destroy some cities!" - Gort's only line, cut from the film.

If I remember correctly, Klaatu is also the name of the alien that brings Gort the robot to Earth, the idea is that if the Earthlings can't be peaceful, they'll be destroyed by Gort so they won't be a threat to the universe. The phrase "Klaatu barada nikto" was the phrase uttered to control Gort.
    Yep now they are going to be making 2 more Conan movies, ARNIE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Cool

MASTIFF (Massiff): A large English hunting dog. It has "a thick-set, heavy body, broad skull, and striaght forelegs."

In H.G. Wells' The First Men in the Moon, the sea under the moon's surface is a blue, milky liquid. Was that early sci-fi novel an influence on the prop men for the Lars homestead?