Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Lightbulb

JOCASTA (Jocasta Nu?): Mother of Oedipus, whom he married to fulfill the oracle that said he'd do so. Anakin certainly loved his mother, so maybe that name stayed around Lucas' head for another charcter. Also, as a Jedi librarian/historian, Jocasta "knew" many things about the archives.
    "That's what Sheev said."

It's in either Dutch or Norweigan, but :

Darth Vader = Dark Father.....

Obvious enough.

Couple of Joseph Campbell details, noticed in his Masks of God: Primitive Mythology book...

FINN MacCOOL (Droopy McCool?): an Irish giant, a folk character. The book mentions him marrying a princess with the head of a pig (it'd kinda look like the Rebo Band member, eh?).

In Hindu mythology, there is a serpent demon that is a monster that lives in a watery pit, or abyss. It's called a naga, and the word demon is spelled the "old" way: daemon. Put them together, and you get the daemon naga. Dianoga, perhaps?

Texas Guinan (Guinan), a famous and infamous popular actress and speakeasy operator of the 1920s who died in the proverbial gutter only a decade later.

Oh wait, this isn't the Trek board!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Angry Wha-?! Huh?

You've ruined this thread now, JT; RUINED! I can't go on...

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    SITH: archaic version of the word 'since.' And the Sith have been around "since" when? It's a stretch, as most of these have been, of course.
    i always kinda thought lucas was typing the word "with" and slipped (as the "s" is right underneath the "w" and is struck by the same finger... in "proper" typing style, anyway) and just liked the look and sound of it... i know i type "sith" a lot by mistake when i want to type "with..."
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

I've heard "SITH" has a much less clean origin, just like the Emperor's original name "Cos Dash-it", Lucas just had a thing for "the s-word". (Sith is a respelling and the Emp's name was "cause the sh..." er, well, you know )
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Arrow (Gotta keep this current!)

Still trying to find legitimate proof of Reek (reak- smell badly), Acklay ('lack' in Pig Latin), and Nexu (more than one Nexu is Nexus [necks-us]). None yet.

JINRIKSHA [also rikshaw] (RIC-920 droid): a small, two-wheeled carriage or cart drawn by a person, usually in Asian countries. This was the droid who took Amidala and Anakin to Mos Espa.

Exclamation Six months? SIX MONTHS?!?

Wow. To quote Stained, "It's been a while."
    SHAKTI (Shaak Ti): Goddess in Indian mythology and religion. Also referred to a Kali, and one of the many names associated with the goddess is "difficult of approach," which in Sanskrit is "durga;" i.e. Durga the Hutt from SW Expanded Universe fame.

I didn't see any other mention of this one, but...

Nute Gunray is a play on Newt Gingrich and Ronald Reagan's names.

Lucas said Wookiee came from a friend of his. They were driving down the road together, and ran over some roadkill or something, and when George asked his friend "What the hell was that?", the friend replied "I think it was a wookiee."

Jawa was borrowed from George's friend Steven's movie JAWS.
    Shop at the SOFA-KING Big Sofa Store

Where the sofas are SOFA-KING big!