Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Jabba's Skiff Guards

While a friend was over the other night at my house he noticed my Jabba's Skiff Guards Cinema Scene on display. He read the names Klatuu, Barada, and Nikto and said that these were from the Army of Darkness starring Kevin Sorbo. I think he said they were the magic words he uttered. I unfortunately have not had the privilege of seeing this movie (*cough, cough*). Can anyone shed some light on this reference?
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

"Klaatu Barada Nikto" originated from the 1950's movie The Day The Earth Stood Still , they were used by the Creature Shop of ROTJ as a sort of tribute to that film. Similarly, these same words were used for the movie Army of Darkness starring Bruce Cambell (Kevin Sorbo??? ) as a powerful magic phrase.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Exclamation

whoops!

I got Army of darkness confused with Kull the Conquerer (I think that was the one)
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Having never seen Kull the Conquerer, which I'm told is a good thing, I can't vouch for that movie.

My question is how could ROTJ have taken the names from a movie that didn't come out until eleven years later?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Krull was great fun... for the time!

Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
    whoops!

I got Army of darkness confused with Kull the Conquerer (I think that was the one)
    How can you get those 2 mixed up?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Thumbs up

The movie that Klaatu Barada Niktu was the Day the Earth Stood Still. I am not sure about all these other things you are mentioning.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I always thought naively that Army of Darkness had taken the names from ROTJ rather than both films giving a nod to the 50's film...but that was back in the day.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Originally posted by Amanamatt
    Krull was great fun... for the time!
    Not Krull, that was the fantasy/sci-fi film that co-starred Liam Neeson and that cool throwing star weapon, Kull the Conqueror was supposed to be the last Conan movie, but Arnie backed out and Sorbo joined the cast after Hercules was almost finished. Kull was another character from the same creator as Conan, so it was in the same theme, but the movie didn't work because of what I believe is bad editing and bad choices on the producers' parts. I thought the movie could have been good if they had played it straight like the Conan movies, but instead they tried to "hip" it to today's youth.

"'Klaatu barada nikto' my metal arse! I'm gonna go destroy some cities!" - Gort's only line, cut from the film.

If I remember correctly, Klaatu is also the name of the alien that brings Gort the robot to Earth, the idea is that if the Earthlings can't be peaceful, they'll be destroyed by Gort so they won't be a threat to the universe. The phrase "Klaatu barada nikto" was the phrase uttered to control Gort.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Patricia Neal"s full line from 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' was:

"Gort, Klaatu barada nikto"

Which translates to: "Gort, stick your finger in the hole and bring Klaatu back to life!