Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Arrow

BITHYNIA (Bith?): Region of Asia Minor (currently around Turkey) in the Roman Empire, known for its wealth and being able to resist Alexander the Great years earlier. Can't find any link to music or bald, fingernail-less people, though.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    GENESIS (Geonosis): planet from Star Trek movies that was originally barren and desolate but made new with the Genesis Device. The Clone War "began" on Geonosis, just like the Earth "began" in the book of the Bible "Genesis. Again, probably another easy connection.
    To amend this one, an issue of SW Insider had a LFL employee say that the root "geo-" meaning rock/earth was also a part. Obviously, the planet in AOTC was rocky.

I didn't see this one on here, but when I went down the elevator from the second floor I noticed it went 2 1 B -- 2-1B.

Now, does anyone know how they got the name Ephant Mon?
    (I'm kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by gtrain29
    Now, does anyone know how they got the name Ephant Mon?
    (I'm kidding)
    "Ephant Mon" is an anagram of the phrase "A Pen Month." It was a book written in 1952 by Fuller Hoax, about a small, poor homeless boy who finds a baby elephant after the circus leaves his town. The boy has to steal to feed the animal, eventually being caught and charged with theft, and put in jail for a month. When he is released, the elephant is gone, and the boy searches for him. By the end of the story, the boy is accidentally killed by the elephant, which is then shot by policemen. Kind of a sad tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos
    Now, does anyone know the truth about how they got the name Ephant Mon?
    (I'm kidding about this one
    )

Hmm...

I may have found something quite interesting, regarding 1138.

In the book The Masks of God: Occidental Mythology by Joseph Campbell (pause for effect here), he mentions the motif of a number in a famous book that he is well-known for studying. Here's the footnote, after he quotes a Biblical verse: "Romans 11:32. This reference, by the way, is the secret sense of the number 1132 that occurs and recurs in all kinds of transformations throughout James Joyce's Finnegans Wake." Perhaps Lucas just changed the last digit to pay tribute to it.

"Ephant Mon" is an anagram of the phrase "A Pen Month." It was a book written in 1952 by Fuller Hoax, about a small, poor homeless boy who finds a baby elephant after the circus leaves his town. The boy has to steal to feed the animal, eventually being caught and charged with theft, and put in jail for a month. When he is released, the elephant is gone, and the boy searches for him. By the end of the story, the boy is accidentally killed by the elephant, which is then shot by policemen. Kind of a sad tale.
    Interesting. I just always assumed it was a slightly altered Elephant Man since he looks like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar
    Interesting. I just always assumed it was a slightly altered Elephant Man since he looks like one.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I'm kidding about this one )

NEMEDIANS (NEIMODIANS?) In Celtic/Roman history, according to The Masks of God: Occidental Mythology, there was a place called Nemed, where the people (called Nemedians) were defeated and had to pay a yearly tribute. Sorta like when the Trade Federation lost in the Battle of Naboo.

CHIMATI NO KAMI (KAMINO?): This was the Japanese god of crossroads and footpaths, as well as the positive force of life and fertility. Kamino certainly is a place where life begins, as clones, and a type of crossroads in the Star Wars saga.

An amendment to JINN (Qui-Gon Jinn): In Islamic mythology, there's a jinni (or genie) named Iblis. He was kind of a fallen angel, who broke a rule and rebelled against the established beliefs. It is sort of like Qui-Gon.

WILLS (Whills?): This is not a religious post, but it the history might explain some Force or Jedi aspects. There was a debate in the 7th century about the form of a certain religious figure. Some felt the figure was made of energy that made him powerful and non-human. A group believed the term "will" was more appropriate than "energy," and two written documents were composed, on the doctrine of the wills (one was one "will," with the other two "wills" ). This led to a great debate in this religion. Could this be a precursor to the Journal of the Whills from the SW novel, and could it shed light on the Dark Side of the Force idea?

BTW, both of these are from Joseph Campbell's Occidental Mythology book.

Red face Can't believe I missed this one!

HOTH/HOD/HODER/HODR (Hoth): He goes by different names, but this blind Norse god of winter and darkness was tricked into killing his brother, Balder, by the trickster god, Loki. Well, being snowy, I'd say the planet Hoth had an appropriate name. And Leia (sort of in charge of the Rebellion, gets Luke to go out on patrol, almost killing him) is Luke's brother. (Okay, that last part's a strrrrrrrrreeeeeeeetttttch)

p.s. By my count, I own 27 of the 60 posts in this thread. Can we rename it "Bel-Cam Has Too Much Time on His Hands"?
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 11-04-2003 at 07:28 PM.