Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I can't believe you haven't seen Army Of Darkness Lowly Bantha Cleaner!

I agree with stillakid, watch Evil Dead 2 first, then Evil Dead, then Army of Darkness!

The Day the Earth Stood Still was the first reference of Klaatu, barada, nikto.

Those were the words Ash also had to recite in Army of Darkness.

Also the names of three Jabba's Skiff guards.

And if I recall, they were used in another movie as well. I can't remember the name of it right now, but if I remember it, I'll post it here. Unless anyone else can think of it?
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Army of Darkness was a pretty good movie. Shop smart, shop S Mart.

Lightbulb

SABER (Sabe'?): not say-burr, but saw-bear. Spanish or Portuguese word meaning "to know." The Handmaidens 'knew' who Amidala really was.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Post More stretches

NABU (Naboo?): Babylonian god of writing and wisdom. The city of Borsippa was where the cult was centered. The city is now in ruins, and was built by King Nebuchadnezzar. A ziggurat there(stepped temple) is believed to be a smaller version of the "Tower of Babel."
    Other details I've found are this: Now only a large square swamp is located at the site of Nebuchadnezzar's great ziggurat in Babylon. Because Nabu was the god of knowledge and wisdom, the ancient city of Borsippa was looked on as an ancient seat of learning. It is believed that a large library of clay tablets inscribed in cuneiform was once located there. So far the Austrian archaeologists working at the site have not discovered this library, but they have come across a few clay tablets.

Here are some possibilities for the fallen Jedi Master from TPM -

QI (Qui?): Chinese belief of the soul or total being, an unexplainable manifestation that controls the body. Also spelled "chi."

JINN: in Middle Eastern legend, a demonic being or nature spirit with the power to appear and disappear, as well as to assume human form. Could Qui-Gon be a "genie," merely an energy being (midichlorian?) to bring balance to the Force?

Could Qui-GON Jinn's middle name simply be that he's no longer here, i.e. gone? I don't know...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

In the original "The Day....." from the 50's "klaatubaradanikto" had to be uttered in order to stop the robot...forgot his name...WHAT WAS HIS NAME????????????
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

"Gort, klaatu barada nikto!"

Gort was the planet-killing robot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Smile

This first one's been known for a long time, but maybe not everyone knows that!

QUEEQUEG (Weequay?): Character in the novel Moby Dick, who is a Polynesian sailor/harpooner on the ship Pequod.

And more stretches:

PANDA (Ponda Baba?): In Brazilian folklore, a sea goddess. Walrusman was an Aqualish, a water alien, after all.
    BABA: A Mesopotamian goddess of health and healing.
    OR...
    BABA: Another name for the evil god, Seth, in Egyptian mythology. It means "father," or "parent." And in the stories, Seth (or Set) loses his hand in a fight. Ponda Baba's a bad guy who loses a limb. Hmm...
    OR...
    BABA YAGA (or JAGA): An evil, female witch associated with the life and death cycle, in Slavic and Russian myth. She's the destroyer of life.

These last ones are REEEEEEEEALLY stretchin' it!

heh, how you get so big reading words of this kind....

Ponda - ponder = wonder.

Baba - Dada = baby speak for Daddy

Ponda baba = 'who's your daddy?!!!!' sorry but someone had to say it..... maybe not then eh...?

I'll get me coat.........

Arrow

More details to add onto my my last post about Queequeg. He also has a heavily suntanned face and has a scalp-knot hair style. Just like the Jabba guard!

Exclamation

In the H.G. Wells book The War of the Worlds, his description of the Martians sounds a lot like the probots in Empire. They land in cylindar-shaped pods that create craters that they slowly rise out of. The are 100 feet tall (okay, not quite the same), have octopus-type arms and walk on tripod legs. Their Heat-Ray is close to the laser cannon on a probe droid. And all this was written in the 1890s!