Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    SON OF THE SUN: as related by Thor Heyerdahl, the writer who made the raft and saile dit from Peru to soem Polynesian islands in the late 1940s, Kon-Tiki was the name of either a Peruvian or Polynesian creator/god. His name translates as "son of the sun," meaning being a descendant of the sun itself. With Lucas coming up with that "Son of the Suns" aspect to the Journal of the Whills idea he had, perhaps that was its origin.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Nice find, but the question is, which is more obscure of a reference, the source material or the usage in the movie?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Nice find, but the question is, which is more obscure of a reference, the source material or the usage in the movie?
    The fool who follows him? [rubs Wookiee's head] Isn't this whole thread obscurity to the max anyway?

That's my point, I think the ref you found is less obscure than the SW part.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Came across one today that I haven't heard before:
    C-3PO gets his name from the map grid reference of George Lucas' local Post Office
    Anyone know if this is true?

Wiki also mentions it:
    The name C-3PO comes from Lucas' hometown map. The post office was located in grid C-3.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post

Wiki also mentions it:
    I don't know if it can be verified, except by Lucas himself, because it depends on the map used. Yes, maps use letter-number X-Y axis grids, but was it a Modesto map? A central CA one? One from a post office zip code map? It sounds cool, but I find it dubious.

Note: Wikipedia is Latin for "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go," therefore that's where the Indy line came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    The list you saw this on also listed 3PO as only the 45th best robot in film history (behind frickin' battle droids, for God's sake!) so I wouldn't put too much stock in their research methods.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    The list you saw this on also listed 3PO as only the 45th best robot in film history (behind frickin' battle droids, for God's sake!) so I wouldn't put too much stock in their research methods.
    True, and they spelled it C3-P0.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

You ever notice we have the origin for R2's name all the time and never for 3PO? I don't buy this Post Office thing right now, it sounds very much like an internet rumor/hoax. There's no mention of it in Rinzler's Making of Star Wars, and he added a new twist on R2's name pointing out it was in early drafts because the reference was from when Lucas was making American Graffiti. Any source (beyond Wiki) would be really cool though.

WAMPA: Apparently, in the Indian wars of the pre-USA years of the 17th century, there was a tribe called the Wampanoag (in fact, they were the Native Americans who met the Pilgrims in the famous Thanksgiving of '21 gathering). Another tribe was the Pequot, which became the name of the ship in Melville's Moby Dick (the Pequod), which had a character named Queeqeg, which could be the genesis of Weequay, a member of a skiff (small craft) of Jabba.

Oh yeah!