Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wes Anderson's "The Life Aquatic w/ Steve Zissou" (spoilers)

The trailer just went live @apple.com

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchs..._life_aquatic/

I really dont' think Wes Anderson can make a bad flick. This ones seems to be with the same sort of humor that i loved in "Royal Tenenbaums" and "Rushmore." It looks to have a great cast too including newcomers to the Anderson films, Willem Dafoe and Jeff Goldblum!!!

I give much props to Anderson for the work he has done with Bill Murray as well. He showed Bill can do much more than be the typical funny guy with the performances he gave in RT and Rushmore. I think this played a huge factor in Murray and the brilliance he portrayed in "Lost in Translation."

also, this flick will probably have another great soundtrack too.

enjoy the trailer! cheers!
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Guyute; 09-17-2004 at 03:48 PM.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Re: Wes Anderson's "The Aquatic Life w/ Steve Zissou"

I'm dying to see this one, but I'm skipping the trailer. I want to see it cold. "Rushmore" is on my top five list of favorite movies of all time. It's one of those movies I spend a great deal of time talking people into watching. "The Royal Tanenbaum's," while not as great as "Rushmore" IMO, still delivered the goods.

not to be confused with Paul W.S. Anderson
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I saw the trailer before Sky Captain and it looks pretty funny. Definitely has that unique style we've come to expect from Wes Anderson. I think Bottle Rocket is my favorite of his films but Rushmore was great too.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

well, i got back from this flick a few hours ago and i must say that I now have a new favorite Wes Anderson film and it is: "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou." This flick was FANTASTIC on all levels. With the bigger budget, Anderson adds much more to the set pieces and has a fair amount of stop motion animation for the fish and various creatures which we encounter in the film. All of the acting was top notch and Willem Dafoe was flippin' hysterical as Klaus. He had some of the best lines in the flick. However, this flick has far more violence than most of Wes's films. It's nothing over the top, but when you see it, you'll know that its more than what we're used to in his flicks. It also had a killer soundtrack featuring A LOT of David Bowie and used one of my favorite Sigur Ros songs, "Staraflur" at the films finale.

Frankly, i don't get why this flick has been getting medicore reviews as it's probably my favorite film of the year and has many different layers that could be chatted about. Get out and see it, dammit!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Re: Wes Anderson's "The Life Aquatic w/ Steve Zissou"

I really liked Bottle Rockets and LOVED Rushmore and RT. Unfortunately, my wife and I both hated the Life Aquatic. I'd be interested to hear other people's points of view.

I just didn't think it was - or even tried to be - as funny as Anderson's other work. I think in this one he took subtle humor to the point where it wasn't humor at all.

Hope other people are enjoying it. I really wanted to enjoy it.

I liked it and found it funny at times. Pretty good story with a nice variety of characters.

(For reference:
    I didn't really like Bottle Rocket, I loved Rushmore, and I thought Tenenbaums was alright.)

The Life Aquatic was pretty cool. However, it felt long at times. Also, I'm not big on the whole "Wes Anderson knows how to do a retro-cool-hip-trendy-soundtrack" buzz that he often gets. Oh yeah, and I'm not big on the guy from Devo doing the score either. The Bowie songs in Portugeuse didn't sit well with me.

Bill Murray was great of course, and I always love Owen Wilson. Willem Dafoe was outstanding !

One complaint that isn't a fault of the movie: WHY do the marketing people have to use the trailer they did ? ? ? The trailer makes it look like it should be a laugh a minute. I got the feeling that there were many people there to see it just for the laughs, when Wes' style of comedy is definitely NOT standard Hollywood fare.
    So, that's not a criticism of the movie for not being funny enough, because I knew what style it would be - I just didn't like the marketing.

See, i'll admit: i never saw "Bottle Rocket", but i really loved "Rushmore" and adored "The Royal Tenenbaums", but "Life Aquatic" is still my favorite movie from Wes (i dont think BR can top it, but we'll soon see). I loved the overall theme of the flick. In Tenenbaums, we have a whole family trying to come to grips with their lives and their lots in life and we get that in LA to a deeper extent, where we have a man who is, sorry to say, "Lost at sea" as he doesn't have the vigor for what he used to do and has become a complete a-hole in the process. Then we get Owen Wilson, who may or may not be his son, who even though he doesn't know there is a huge chance he isn't, it doesn't matter as he feels that he should be there or he wouldn't drop the $$ to help Steve out.

I loved that aspect as well as Steve discovering his place in life, not only family. I think when he finally sees that Jaguar Shark, it almost takes the anger out of him and revigorates the passion he had for work as they all say what a beautiful creature it is and he even says he won't blow it up, even if he had the dynamite. The stunning beauty of the shark makes him love his job again and shows that he can let go of his attitude even when he comes face to face with the creature that ate his best friend as well as led he and his son to find it, which inadvertantly lead to Ned's demise. Plus, he says, "Do you think it remembers me?" and that is just key as it's almost as if Zissou is asking if he himself will be remembered and if so, what for? We have seen that he was once a man who loved his passions in life, but that's not the case anymore. Once he says this and the whole crew embraces him, which i loved, it lets him know that he will be remembered, but he knows that he must go on with exploring the seas. That's probably my favorite scene in the film and the fact that Anderson chose Sigur Ros's "Staraflur" damn near made me poop myself as i'm a gargantua Sigur Ros fan.

As for the cast, Dafoe was HYSTERICAL as Klaus and gave some of the greatest laughs of the film and i for one loved Seu Jorge's versions of Bowie songs. And yeah, sorry, Caesar, i own the soundtrack and am trying to pursue the score. Those are two things i love about Andersons films: the music. Mothersbaugh does such a great job of the score, such as in the track, "let me show you my boat" and he floats around with that light piano thing whose name eludes me (gillipschord?), but he makes it very playful and upbeat, almost renaissance in its tone. It just fits well with the film as its set in vibrant, colorful designs, such as was seen in the Renaissance period.

But to why its getting mixed reviews, i think its because Anderson films are supposed to be quirky and goofy, but while this one is both, its more of a subdued offbeat humor and i don't think many folks liked the Pirate attack and rescue, though I thought it was hysterical.

Anyway, i can't wait for the DVD and god willing, the whole score!

comments are welcome!
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Guyute; 01-03-2005 at 10:45 PM.

I found it hysterical that the pirate was running around with that obviously thick plastic blade.

As of yet I still haven't seen this film but I'm hoping to catch it sometime this week. Good point about the marketing Caesar. In the studios defense though Wes Anderson's films are pretty difficult to classify and any 3-5 min preview would probably have trouble conveying the film's true style. I think if you've seen any of his films going into this you should have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Part of the comedic appeal of Wes' earlier films is how the subject matter, no matter how ridiculous it may be, is treated with the utmost seriousness. I personally find his brand of subdued humor refreshing in comparison to the majority of watered down comedies that favor cliched one-liners and unrealistic physical humor to garner laughs. Despite what criitics are saying I'll still be seeing this, I mean how could I not, Bill Murray is in it for gods sake.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”