View Poll Results: Which Is Hasbro's Strongest Trait with Basic SW Figures?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pose

15 4.34%
  • Sculpt

106 30.64%
  • Likeness

68 19.65%
  • Paint

12 3.47%
  • Articulation

25 7.23%
  • Packaging

68 19.65%
  • Accessories

10 2.89%
  • Scale

42 12.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Which Is Hasbro's Strongest Trait with SW Figures?

There are many different facets to the modern Star Wars figures that Hasbro produces which entice collectors and casual fans alike. A lot of work goes into each one of these figures from all sorts of areas, everywhere from packaging to sculpt to accessories is taken into consideration. Some fans are drawn to the line because of the likenesses while others are most impressed by the look of the packaging or the dynamic poses, some are even into the 3" figures because of their small accessories. With which one trait do you think Hasbro consistantly shows their best work?

Re: Which Is Hasbro's Strongest Trait with SW Figures?

This was an easy one, because my primary focus is card variations.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

I chose packaging becuase there are alot of figures that dont look like the characters. Since I am an MOC collector, that is what matters to me. If they nuetrally posed figures, then that would be for me.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I had to say likeness. I mean, if we're talking about what they're producing now as opposed to what was coming out back in the 70's/80's, these figures look more like the characters compared to the impressionist stylings from days of yore.

M.

Likeness. Though I notice that it's neck and neck with "sculpt" and I don't understand what the difference between those two is. But likeness is numero uno on the list. No matter how great the gimmick or packaging or accessories are, if the basic figure doesn't look like what it's supposed to look like, there is no point to it. And Hasbro has been consistent in doing that well.

Packaging. They've been too hit and miss with every other category, although scale is much better than it used to be.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I chose likeness because ultimately that's why I buy the figures. Now I do recognize that most of the major characters still have not gotten a really good head sculpt but since licensing was not one of the options it was the next accurate option.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

Stilla, "Likeness" is about accuracy and recognizability of the look, especially of the face, while "Sculpt" is about the quality of detail whether it's accurate or not.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Stilla, "Likeness" is about accuracy and recognizability of the look, especially of the face, while "Sculpt" is about the quality of detail whether it's accurate or not.

I still don't see the difference. You used the word "accurate" in both explanations. I suppose if you are suggesting that, say, a Han Solo figure didn't look a thing like Harrison but for what it was, it was "sculpted" very well, then I see the point. So you're equating "sculpt" with the artistic and technical prowess of the toy makers and leaving the "likeness" issue out of it entirely. But isn't a top notch "likeness" also a top notch "sculpt" by default? Is it possible to have an A+ likeness but a D- sculpt?

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Is it possible to have an A+ likeness but a D- sculpt?

Not my question to answer, but since it was posted I'll take a shot. I say you CAN have a good likeness, but a crappy sculpt. I can think of one figure that stands out to me personally... the latest Emperor figure (not the holo emp.) has a great face, really showing the detail and anger of the movie character and it looks a ton like him (likeness)... however the sculptors blew it with the hood (sculpt) that would translate into fabric that would be about four inches thick on a 6 foot tall person. Good likeness, bad sculpt.

This is one example, but I can't think of a lot more, so I am guessing a lot of the votes in those two categories are leaning toward the same thoughts as Stilla has.

On the flip side, many figures may have a great sculpt, but they are not movie accurate. Sometimes due to the fact you can't see the whole character on screen (think Tanus and J-Quille). This is the easier side of the argument to see b/c getting faces to look right is more difficult than getting arms, legs and torsos right... you would assume.
    Skeeziks22