Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why do they keep using chrome on R2-D2 figs?

I can understand using chrome on C-3PO figures, the character is mirror-finish shiny in many of his scenes even when he's dirtied up, but R2's dome has not once in the film had anywhere near a mirror-finish the way a lot of the R2-D2 figures from all the way back to '78 have endured. What is it about putting chrome on this dome? R2's head is brushed aluminum or steel, even at the very end of ANH when R2 is at his absolute cleanest he doesn't have a mirror-finish anywhere. This has bothered me since I got my first R2 figure back in the late '70s, yet nearly every version since then has had the same inaccuracy and the only chrome version that looked acceptable was the Episode I figure with a generous amount of dullcoat applied over it. So what's the deal?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Why do they keep using chrome on R2-D2 figs?

MAkes it more appealing? Perhaps it catches the eye when scoping the figs or just passing by.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Isn't that a similar reasoning to all the steroid-abusing muscle-man figures of the POTF2 line? Yet we don't endure those anymore, but even the $10 "newly-accurate" VOTC R2 will have a chrome dome.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's for the "tuners" so they have a boss droid to show off at the droid races down on Paradise Road.

I don't know, maybe Hasbro thinks it looks better? It's just dumb, they could be saving money and being more accurate at the same time. Which is rarely the case, usually it's the other way around!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Yeah I wondered it myself. Hasbro always says how expensive vac form is but yet they do it often on R2. It would cool if they could do a brush aluminum look to the dome.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I'll never forget when I saw the first R2 without the chromed dome, I couldn't believe how accurate it looked!

When I saw that the chrome was back on the new OTC R2, it just looked like such a step back.. no matter how good the sculpt was.

The New R2 looks pretty awful - for my money, I am way happier with the $5 OTC version being re-released. For whatever reason, I have never been overly concerned with 'correct movie' proportions for the Hasbro fig. I'll say this much, the shiny look makes it looks like a cheap toy.
    Real men buy Willrow

I never realized until now that his dome isn't chrome. Now that I think of the figures they look pretty stupid with a chrome dome. Hah, that rhymed.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

TIE Pilot, I couldn't agree more, when I first saw that Ep 1 R2-D2, rocket jets or not, that figure really felt like a big step in the right direction mainly because of the design of his dome. It's too bad we never got that quality again.