Lucas on Writing

From Entertainment Weekly:

GL: ..... You know, I never expect anyone to see a script [of mine], because they're terrible. I'm a terrible writer, you know, but because I'm directing it, I don't have to write it (?), I don't have to show it to a studio, I don't have to sell it to anybody. It doesn't have to be written for somebody else to understand. So I write a minimalist script that has hardly anything in it at all.

So, he knows he's a terrible writer, but that doesn't matter, because he doesn't have to sell his scripts to anybody.

WHAT ABOUT THE AUDIENCE, GEORGE? Don't the people paying to see your movies deserve a screenplay written by somebody who isn't, by their own admission, a TERRIBLE WRITER?

Re: Lucas on Writing

LOL God no, your mis-understanding the meaning. This should clarify that part in the middle that doesn't seem to make sense.

He's not saying he's a bad writer in the creative sense. He's saying hes a bad writer in the thechnical sense. Part of a script writer's job is to make the content understandable to the producers who will be reading the script to approve it, the directer who will have to understand the intent of the scene, ect. Lucas writes about wookies, Spice mines of Kessel, Droids, Moisture vaporaters, Hutts, parces and hydrospanners. A 3rd party with no knowledge of the star wars universe, reading a script would be like "what the helll is all this, it makes no sense!" Actually they were like that, he had to shop atround ANH, paramount didn't understand one word of it.

He's saying he doesn't HAVE to write it so that other people can understand, becuase he doesn't neeed to show it to a producer, or another director. He is the only one who needs to understand what an aluvial dampener is, so he doesn't need to explian what it is in the script. He can just write the dialoge, supervise the prop department making one, then direct the scene. In that sense, YES George is a terrible writer, because part of the writers job is to make the script understandable to anyone who might read it, whether they know the material or not.
    Last edited by Darth Rend; 09-18-2004 at 12:27 PM.
    Anakin: "...we decided come to rescue you..."
    Obi-Wan, looking up at the chains: "Good job."

Lucas is a very good writer, but his scripts are a big mess, if somebody wants to read them he needs to ask Lucas how to do it.
    [SIGNATURE]

When he said he is a bad writer, he meant his penmanship is poor.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rend
    LOL God no, your mis-understanding the meaning. This should clarify that part in the middle that doesn't seem to make sense.

He's not saying he's a bad writer in the creative sense. He's saying hes a bad writer in the thechnical sense. Part of a script writer's job is to make the content understandable to the producers who will be reading the script to approve it, the directer who will have to understand the intent of the scene, ect. Lucas writes about wookies, Spice mines of Kessel, Droids, Moisture vaporaters, Hutts, parces and hydrospanners. A 3rd party with no knowledge of the star wars universe, reading a script would be like "what the helll is all this, it makes no sense!" Actually they were like that, he had to shop atround ANH, paramount didn't understand one word of it.

He's saying he doesn't HAVE to write it so that other people can understand, becuase he doesn't neeed to show it to a producer, or another director. He is the only one who needs to understand what an aluvial dampener is, so he doesn't need to explian what it is in the script. He can just write the dialoge, supervise the prop department making one, then direct the scene. In that sense, YES George is a terrible writer, because part of the writers job is to make the script understandable to anyone who might read it, whether they know the material or not.
    LOL God no, you're mis-understanding the meaning. Lucas has admitted in the past that he hates to write. History has shown this to be true. In fact, the only feature scripts that he has written entirely on his own were THX-1138 and The Phantom Menace. Presumably he got Jonathan Hales to help him with AOTC. I haven't heard yet about ROTS.

So, no, Rend, as I've seen with you previously, you've mis-read something yet again and taken the meaning out of context. Sorry to break it to you. Really.

Lucas says he's a bad writer and has previously said he's a bad director... says a lot for ANH's editors and producer, eh? Seriously though, it says a lot about the entire cast and crew, when you watch Empire of Dreams and you see how many people, including Lucas, were saying what was being put together was coming out junk until fires got lit and editing got finished, it's pretty amazing what a bad writer/director can do with the right people (and unfortunate when it's the wrong people).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.