Star Tours, New Tours?

Looks like Disneyland is finally going to update Star Tours! I just fond this article on miceage.com. I hope they do away with the film reel and do it all digital. It would be awesome if they could several different adventures all digital, that way it would be easier to since up the experience to each time you ride. Anyway I hope the imagineers get to all out with this project if it ever gets green lit.

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al092104a.htm
    Last edited by Jawa Pinocchio; 09-21-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Re: Star Tours, New Tours?

If it's true, I'll be first in line. But a friend of mine who is privvy to a lot of Disney inside info has told me (and reported on other sites) that the current thought on Star Tours is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Meaning that as long as it continues to be a crowd-pleaser with the older footage and effects, it wouldn't be cost effective to update. Not like Space Mountain, which they had to close down because the track wasn't strong enough to support the increased weight of their new sound systems.

Of course, I heard that about a year or two ago, and with Eisner finally on his way out (and there was much rejoicing, yay, yay), anything's possible.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That would be cool, as would the Nemo ride in place of the old submarine piece of smelly (literally!) junk.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

When I saw the posters of "Visit Scenic [whatever]" after leaving the ride, I was all, cool! (Yes, I was, in fact, "all" cool. ) I always wanted to buy the Hoth one. You'd think a money machine like Disney would've done this earlier.

p.s. As to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comment, I believe that Disney has felt lately that "if it ain't right, don't fix it" either.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

This rumor has been around in one form or another for a decade, it has never ever proven to be true yet. Around the Ep 1 era, Disney and LFL actually had plans to update the ride but their scheduling never meshed up (what with LFL and ILM being busy with the prequels) and so Disney felt it was best to just leave it be. Personally, I think the current film is the best ride, and I really hope they keep it forever, but there are 2 sides of the room with 2 simulators in each, one side could be the classic side and the other could be the update. But they should try to avoid tampering with the queue, one of the best lines ever.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Trust me when I say my source is quite reliable and I'm not trying to flaunt that, but unless something has changed since the last time we discussed ST a year back, it ain't gonna happen.

BCJ, I totally agree with you about Disney's current philosophy. My favorite example: "Hey, Pixar wants more money, and Dreamworks is clobbering our traditional animation. So let's ditch 'em both and get the second-stringers from TV to make movies! We'll spend less on lower quality movies, and we'll create competition who can use 'From the folks who brought you Finding Nemo' and 'From the creators of Lilo & Stitch' against us in ads! We can't lose!!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

With Lucas and co. updating many of it's projects recently (whether the fans want it or not ) like THX-1138 and the SE original trilogy, why not update Star Tours? I always enjoy visiting the ride whenever I am at MGM Studios, but to inject something new and exciting to the ride would be a great idea.

I especially like JT's idea of keeping one side of the ride classic and the other new. That way you can please both sides. Either way, I am going down to Orlando in a month, particularly to Universal Studios and their Haunted Halloween bash, but I will hope to make a stop to MGM, realizing it is too early for any possible update of the ride.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.