Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deluxe Amanaman

Deluxe Amanaman

I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not, I've been off for a couple of days, but I just got the new Amanaman figure, and is it me, or does the figure seem shorter than its supposed to be?

Other than the height, its an incredible figure, but I thought he was taller.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Nope, CollectStarWars.com compared pictures from the movie of Amanaman standing next to normal height charecters in Jabba's palace. He's a proper heigth in his POTJ incarnation. The original POTF figure was to large, thats all.

Hope that information helps ya. Either way it's a great figure. Wish I could find one in stores. I wish I could find the Luke: Bacta Chamber around here.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 01-02-2002 at 11:21 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I thought it was rebelscum who did the comparison shots? They had both of the incarnations side by side and also a comparison with an Imperial officer and a chewie mechanic. The new amanaman is correst scale. he is only as tall as a human and in the film he is as tall as the gamorrean guard he stands next to as Leia and Han are discovered by Jabba and his cronies.

I'm curios though, one of the pics at rebelscum had the staff Amanaman comes with looking really droopy and soft. Is it like that? I hate it when accessories are all rubbery. These new POTJ weapons are all soft plastic and bendy as hell. They get warped out of shape as soon as you look at them. Just curious about this staff that's all.

Yep, my bad.
    It was Rebelscum, I got my websites mixed up. Either way, yes the new POTJ Amanaman is in the correct scale.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Yep, Jargo, Amanaman's staff is droopy rubbery plastic. So are his arms and feet and hands.... I got mine and the hand weighs the arm down so much that his forearm looks broken. Plus you would think that a figure with such big feet would stand easier, but the super soft rubbery plastic warps too easily and he falls over a lot.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Angry

so, Barada, what you're saying is...

Now that they have the detailing and sculpting done accurately, we get crappier materials. Well, isn't that just lovely??? Thanks so much for your consideration Habrso!

This makes me want to run out and get this one so fast!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Here to clear things up

Hello!

I used to work on Star Wars guys at Hasbro, and I hate reading threads like this where people complain about stuff they don't understand.

I just wanted to clarify something about "rubbery" accessories. Hasbro isn't doing this to tick you guys off, it is done for one reason: safety. Our safety group at hasbro requires us to do one of these two things when designing accessories:

1 - make them rounded enough that they are no longer a legal "sharp point"

or

2 - make them out of a material known as "soft durometer" PVC so they bend. contrary to what you guys have been saying, PVC is actually more expensive than rigid materials. The good thing about it is that it allows you to mould "undercuts", or finer detail becasue the soft-material flexes out of the mould.

Just clarifying. The staff was made soft to pass out rigid saftey requirements.

after all, these are toys, folks.

yours truly --æ

john
    Last edited by jedi master sal; 01-02-2002 at 11:24 AM.

thanks for the above post...as for my Amanaman, well, I have no problem with his staff at all. It is not made of the super soft plastic alot of the people here are complaining about. Compare Amanaman's staff to the new force pike that comes with Deluxe Leia...now that's rubbery plastic!

John,
    If you'd read around a bit more you'd have seen that I've posted several times on the subject of toy safety standards and the reasoning behind the softer figures. Kids and eyes and pointy objects aside, it still sucks when this is touted as a collector focused year, that the standards applied to kids toys be applied to what are technically collector items.

I don't think there are many here who would condemn the sculptors outright. The sculptors do a terrific job as seen by the hardcopy pictures that came from the conventions. It's the materials chosen to make the figures out of and the factory production standards that are mostly called into question. Is there such a thing as quality control at Hasbro? Do the company see the actual toys that are lining the shelves? Are they aware at Hasbro HQ of the poor quality many people are seeing in those plastic blisters on cards?
    Horrible horrible things are happening to fantastic sculpts. Leia with sail barge cannon, Amamanan, Imperial officer and Rebel fleet trooper - The prototypes and hardcopies are so great to look at but the final product stinks.
    I urge Hasbro to look at the way these things are coming out of the factories and make some changes if they want to keep us as consumers.

Either that or stop showing us so many pictures of the hardcopies and getting our hopes up. While Amanaman is a fantastic sculpt and is beautifully painted and detailed; there is still the issue of the gooey accessories and body parts. Is Hasbro the only company that adheres to these safety standards? It sure seems like it. I could point out several toys from mostly 12" collector's lines that don't seem to suffer from these problems. If Star Wars is supposed to be a collector's line then why do the "collector unfriendly" rules apply to them?

I any case I'm sure these rules could be adhered to while at the same time creating a toy that satisfies both collectors and inattentive parents. It would just take a little bit of creative thinking on Hasbro's part.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis