Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

VOTC Stormtrooper

I spent an hour writing a kick-arse review going into great detail about every aspect of this new fig, but due to the fact that I did not log in prior to writing it, I lost everthing. Instead, I am going to give you a short, but very honest review:

THE VOTC STORMTROOPER ROCKS!

Honestly, this is the figure we all had wished the Commtech one was; if you have the S.A. Clonetrooper figure, this version is capable of all the same poses that one could do, given the 14 points of articulation on this new VOTC version - at this point, I cannot think of how else this figure could have been articulated - he has it all, and btw, that includes both wrists (and not just the one as was hinted at in the offical site preview).

The proportioned helmet rocks, as does the overall sculpt of this figure: from the 'holster' down to the armor, this is a very sharp looking figure!

There is only one negative downside to this very excellent figure, and that is the plastic(s) used. The arms, legs, arms and head are all molded in a pinkish/hue whereas the chest and lower torso are a bright white plastic - while not really noticeable within online pics, this is pretty obvious in person.

Aside from this, the VOTC Stormtrooper figure is the best version we have ever seen in the 3 3/4" scale. Some will trip out given that this fig is $10, and the equally articulated Clontrooper was $5, but come on: this is a S.A. Stormtrooper! To me, that makes it easily worth the extra money.
    Last edited by AmanaMatt; 09-28-2004 at 03:46 AM.
    Real men buy Willrow

Re: VOTC Stormtrooper

Yeah... I just got my hands on one of these yesterday, and though I'm still fiddling around with it (not ready for a full review) I'd say it's probably the best Stormtrooper yet. But yeah, the most expensive also.

How's the torso joint on yours? Mine's kind of wonky, and it's a bit tricky to get him to lock into a pose.

Also, has anyone noticed the tiny letter "L" on the left foot and on the left shoulder? (Not exactly $10 detail quality as far as I'm concerned.)
    plasticfetish.net

Does it have the hip joints like VOTC Luke and SA Clone Trooper?

Quote Originally Posted by anti-hero
    You mean the waist? If so, then yes. I've both of those figures loose, and they're great, so...

I may have simply gotten one that was assembled poorly, but even so, it's not terrible. (Could be better though.) Just curious to know if this is a running problem. I'd be less apt to buy another to open if it is.
    plasticfetish.net

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    How's the torso joint on yours? Mine's kind of wonky, and it's a bit tricky to get him to lock into a pose.

Also, has anyone noticed the tiny letter "L" on the left foot and on the left shoulder? (Not exactly $10 detail quality as far as I'm concerned.)
    The torso on mine is pretty much like my S.A. Clontroopers - the VOTC Stormie I have seems fine as far as the torso joint goes; I would never have noticed the 'L' but it is there - I see it on the foot, but not on the shoulder.

If it wasn't for the funky plastic used, this would have been my fav VOTC.
    Real men buy Willrow

I see what you mean by the different kinds (and colors) of plastic, but side by side, this one and the SA Clone are pretty much the same. Here's the pic I just put in the Database...
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...at=1254&page=1

I'd say they're really similar as far as quality goes, and the articulation is exactly the same for both.

More pics for those that haven't got their hands on the VOTC Stormtrooper yet, here...
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...&page=1&sort=7
    plasticfetish.net

This is one amazing figure. I even like it better than the SA Clone Trooper. Unlike the SA Clone though they actually put peg holes in the feet and even though they're rather shallow I'm just happy I don't need to make my own this time. Its also pretty cool that the blaster fits into the holster but it would've been nice if the reverse side of the holster was enclosed. Oh well its a minor gripe for what is otherwise a fantastic figure, my favorite in the modern line thus far.

I don't have a problem paying $10 for a figure of this caliber especially when its one of the coolest charcters designs in the SW universe and an army builder at that. I just hope I can find more at retail, alot more.

Grade A++
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Awsome pics, plasticfetish.

Interesting how the slightly different shades of the fig do not really show in pics - they do in person, however.

I am sure that this will be the fig Hasbro will release from time to time over the years - it would be hard to improve on this very much...even a few years down the road, but never say never.

As great as this fig is - and it is awsome, it does give me a new appreciation for the $5 S.A. Clonetrooper - sometimes Hasbro just gets a figure 'right.'

I am also concerned about finding more of this guy at retail - ideally, I would like three or so open form my loose set - I also like how the Commtech Stormie does hold his own side-by-side. While the VOTC blows him away with articulation, they do look great together.
    Last edited by AmanaMatt; 09-29-2004 at 04:16 PM.
    Real men buy Willrow

Just picked up OTC Stormtrooper, $15 ouch!
    out of a scale of 1 to 10 i give it an 8, why an 8? Dont get me worng, its a great figure and ive been waiting for Hasbro to up-date this figure for such a long time and i had hopes that they would make it like the SA Clone trooper, they did but...

Originally Posted by anti-hero
    NO, they did not make the hips like the SA Clone and to me that make the posing of this Fig slightly, so slightly limited. This is a disappointment, with a ball joint hip the poses this Fig could make would deserve a 10. Another disappointment is the left hand, the Blaster cant quite fit into his fist and when you do get it in it bends the gun so it looks bad. This problem with the sculping of the hands has been a problem for a long time. And lastly the torso, if Hasbro trimed or shaved a bit inside bottom of the torso where it meets the uper top you would have a bit more play to pose this figure just like in the moives.

OK, so you must feel like i hate this guy, well i dont. This is by far the BEST figure they made. The likeness is dead on, the helmet sculpt is perfect, i had to scrape some extra paint off around the eyes. Now if only Hasbro would make a SA Stormtrooper Trooper builder box set, they would clean up $$. Wouldn't you buy 10 or more of these? And they would save $ on packaging, no color printing for cardback, just stuff them in a box and ship them off.

I hope that you find this at TRU or Target for $10, i had to shuck out the $15 becuz my TRU was out and i had to go to Newbury Comics (a cool music store chain here in MA) and unfortunately they price Action Figures 2 to 5 bucks over SRP.

thanks for read'n this.
    ~K~

Sorry to hear that you had to pay a little extra Ka-Spel, but I guess (and I guess I can't believe I'm saying this) if you had to pay a little more -- this is one's not so bad.

I agree with the what you said about the torso. I've opened two of these now, and though my second one is better, It's not perfect. Being realistic though, these are probably just as poseable as with a real Stormtrooper suit.

Not sure what you mean by the hips not being like the SA Clone though. As far as I can tell (having one of each on the desk right now) they're the same. The clone doesn't have a ball socket hip either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanamatt
    I also like how the Commtech Stormie does hold his own side-by-side. While the VOTC blows him away with articulation, they do look great together.
    Agreed. I've been picking up a few more of the OTC (commtech) troopers, and they've made a nice little group on my desk.
    plasticfetish.net