Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Audio Comentaries

Did each person do their own separate recording for the audio comentary?

Nobody seams to interact with each other, also I get the impression they're not even watching the film. It was the same on the Episode II comentary too!! The Episode I DVD is different, they do actually talk to each other on that and talk as though they are actually watching the film as they speak.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Re: Audio Comentaries

Quote Originally Posted by Jek Porky 2002

Nobody seams to interact with each other, also I get the impression they're not even watching the film. It was the same on the Episode II comentary too!! The Episode I DVD is different, they do actually talk to each other on that and talk as though they are actually watching the film as they speak.
    I don't know what they did for this one, but it isn't out of the question for each participant to go into a studio to do their own commentary session. And usually, they are watching the movie while they talk about it, although they can start and stop as they go if they wish. Some people make it up as they go while others go in with a prepared list of what they want to say. There is no one way that these commentaries happen.

They recorded the individuals separately and then picked which comment they wished to use. The person compiling that track said he had a tough time choosing which person had the more interesting commentary for that bit. I thought there was a little too much Ben Burtt in the commentary track since most of his comments were present in "Empire of Dreams". *shrug*
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

It's seems they did have everyone do their own commentary and mixed them up with "highlights" from each participant.

I would have preferred to see them broken down into 2 commentary tracks. 1 for the techical side of the movies (ie. SFX, director, GL) and a 2nd for the actors to give their memories from being apart of this movie.

I'm guessing that the full commentaries from everyone are on file at LucasSound so perhaps we'll get a full taste of them with the Archival Editions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I haven't listened to the full commentary on ESB but from what I have watched I'm really disappointed with the Directors comments (his name escapes me now). Not only are a good portion of them the same thing he said in the documentary but he does nothing more than explain what we're watching, nothing real insightfull that's for sure.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartnr
    They recorded the individuals separately and then picked which comment they wished to use. The person compiling that track said he had a tough time choosing which person had the more interesting commentary for that bit. I thought there was a little too much Ben Burtt in the commentary track since most of his comments were present in "Empire of Dreams". *shrug*
    i agree. ben seems lie a nice guy, but i would of preferred seprate audio tracks. one for lucas. one for the cast and one for the technical geeks like burtt and dennis murren.

maybe on the next release?

I have only listened to the ANH commentary so far. I'm so surprised that most of what lucas says over and over again is about mythological character types. That is so insightful. I had no idea about that until these commentaries.....

As bad as it sound's that ex crack-***** carrie fisher had the best so far. It seems she's the only one watching the movie. The technical guys were alright too I guess, in places.
    Hating aurra sing since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Jek Porky 2002

They do this a lot over at Skywalker Ranch, even the commentary tracks on the Definitive Collection Laserdiscs are like this. I don't like it, I want a group of people on one commentary to be interacting, basing their comments off things they said to each other - I don't want it to be a stupid party where nobody says anything about the film because they're too busy hanging out, or they are just telling us what we're seeing onscreen without any new info - not snippits of interviews spliced together for a faux-commentary track.

And Carrie Fisher never did crack, she was into the more "fashionable" drugs of the time.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosskman
    As bad as it sound's that ex crack-***** carrie fisher had the best so far. It seems she's the only one watching the movie. The technical guys were alright too I guess, in places.
    You really hit one something there Bosskman. Carrie is the only person who seems to be reacting to the movie rather than just spouting some jibberish that has more of a place in the documentary than a play-by-play commentary.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I wish they would do it like the MallRats commentary. Have them all sitting around a table watching the movie and talking about it. On the Mall Rats DVD you can even use the alternate camera angle to see them at the table as they discuss. That would make a cool SW DVD comentary.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

I watched all 3 at this point an it seems like when there is a time where I'd like to hear something from Lucas or an actor/director, Ben Burt comes on and gives some long speech about creating an obscure sound effect. I think he's got some cool things to say about how some sounds were created, but I've heard a bunch of the stories before on other DVD's (E1 or E2) or at conventions. Gimme something new!

I thought Carrie sounded kind of "out there" a couple of times.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars