Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Yes but the difference being that the characters from books by stackpole or whoever are really badly drawn and have names that smack of a lack of imagination. They mostly sound like bad 1950's B movie characters. I've tried and tried to read EU books but every time I have to throw the book away because it's such a badly written pile of tripe. The coincidence factor in all of them is so great that it goes off the coincidence scale. The plots are at best weak and the characters who have some kind of link to the core characters from the movies are far too many in number.
    Even the novellisations of the movies make me cringe. The added parts from TPM about Anakin tending a wounded Tusken - DEAR GOD ON A STICK!!!!! I'm trying desperately to keep my foul mouth from spilling over here I have so much contempt for these 'books' and their 'authors'.
    Names have nothing to do with EU. I'm perfectly happy with walrus man instead of Ponda Baba. To me it's just a way of identifying a character when I talk to you people. It creates a common language and that's the only purpose it serves.
    I couldn't care a fig for Mara Jade/Skywalker or Leia Organa-Solo. I don't want to know about stupid ideas like the Ssi-Rukk or whoever the hell they are. Suncrushers? Ord Mantell? Ryloth?
    What is all this rubbish? it all makes no sense and doesn't fit into place anywhere.
    Characters from comics are fair game because they are technically designs anyway. Villie the mercenary is a great character with enough personality to warrant a figural representation. I just hope to god we never get anything so awful as a Dathomir sith witch. Heavens above, that is the worst idea I've ever seen in any non cannon crud.
    I actually find it offensive that so much EU has been absorbed into the star wars universe already. Head on over to the official star wars site and look through the databank. You're forced to read all the EU entries whether you want to or not. I think that's highly offensive and rude.

There, that's my real opinion with no pussiefooting around. stick that in your smug EU pipe and smoke it!!!! ARRRRRRGH!

AMENDMENT:
    I was going to edit this post and take out most of it. But I decided not to. I'm sorry if any of you take any offense. But we are all entitled to our opinions. I don't want to start a fight and hope this doesn't start anything like that. We are definately split into two camps here. Perhaps the answer would be a second and seperate star wars line - a branching off as it were with a totally different branding. Something in the same scale to appease the EU fans but not tied to the main star wars line so it doesn't interfere with that branding. Just a thought I had after posting.....
    Last edited by Jargo; 12-29-2001 at 03:29 PM.

The reason I don't like EU characters is because I have read several of the novels or tried to. I started on Heir to the Empire but lost interest because of Yawn (sorry, I meant Thrawn). The same with Vector Prime; Mara Jade irritated me so much I just put the novel down and never picked it up again. The anthology books were just exercises in futility with no point to the stories except to fill in movie plotholes with obscure background characters.

The two Han Solo trilogies have been the only ones to keep my interest and I admit that I would like to see figures of some of those character; but NOT at the expense of onscreen characters.

Once Hasbro exhausts ALL the characters from Jabba's Palace and the Cantina, then I would have no problem with an occasional EU character showing up.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Unhappy

Wow, some of you guys have a real hatred for EU, still, I still have my need for a Corran, I mean which would you prefer, Corran Horn or another Darth Maul? If it didn't stop the release of an obscure Cantina/Palace alien, what's the harm? I'm sure someone would buy an EU figure, there are enough EU fans!
    "There is no pain where strength lies"-Darth Maul
    "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!"-Count Dooku

Originally posted by bigbarada
    The reason I don't like EU characters is because I have read several of the novels or tried to. I started on Heir to the Empire but lost interest because of Yawn (sorry, I meant Thrawn). The same with Vector Prime; Mara Jade irritated me so much I just put the novel down and never picked it up again. The anthology books were just exercises in futility with no point to the stories except to fill in movie plotholes with obscure background characters.

The two Han Solo trilogies have been the only ones to keep my interest and I admit that I would like to see figures of some of those character; but NOT at the expense of onscreen characters.

Once Hasbro exhausts ALL the characters from Jabba's Palace and the Cantina, then I would have no problem with an occasional EU character showing up.

I'm with you there...still! And Jargo, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Really, there isn't much point to Hasbro wasting time with the EU characters. I've tried buying some for my 6 year old, but frankly, he doesn't know who they are or what to do with them if they weren't in the movie. On one hand, it seems that Hasbro claims to be doing all of this for the kids...primarily. On the other hand, EU stuff comes out in addition to highly articulated "adult" action figures which appear to be made for collectors. You'd swear that there were two separate Star Wars departments over there in Cincy. In any case, I can't see how anyone could complain much if they spent their time working on the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, and other secondary characters before diving into EU stuff.

Give into your hate and your path to the darkside will be complete.

I see no reason why there can't be a different line for the EU fans.I too do not want the making of any movie characters to stop.BUT,I for one like the EU and would really like some of the figures.I will agree that some of the books get alittle old like this Vong story line.But all in all I enjoy the stories.

If there were a different line for EU fiugures it would open up a new biz for Hasbro to cash in on.Maybe not as big as the others they already have,but a new way of bring in the money. I really doubt it would ever happen because we can't get the figures made that we want now with the lines they have out there now.Oh,we get some here and there. But hey!We can dream can't we?
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

I don't think there is enough of a demand to constitute a new EU line, IMO. (There's hardly enough demand for the current POTJ line, as it is.) For Hasbro to even possibly constitute expanding the line, they need to see/hear a lot of positive input from the collectors. Not only collectors, but retailers as well. Stores out there are still feeling the hurt of the TPM nightmare, and have since stopped ordering POTJ figures. They're not going to go for another line of SW figures for a very long time, if ever.

They're not going to get that type of input and support, there's hardly enough of us to keep the POTJ line around.

If Hasbro drops the ball with AOTC like they did with TPM, you can forget about having a solid SW line after the end of next year.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Smile

I'd say most retailers will get in AOTC figures, there'll be a lot of hype, though not as much as there was for TPM.
    "There is no pain where strength lies"-Darth Maul
    "You must join me, Obi-Wan, and together we will destroy the Sith!"-Count Dooku

I've talked to a lot of people who work at KB's and TRU's and so forth, and while they do expect more AOTC stuff, the stores won't carry as much AOTC stuff as they did TPM stuff. The problem will be if stores get too much and it sits on the shelves, like TPM.

One way of thinking is that SW stuff doesn't sell as much as we produce, or, that its the next "big thing" and we need to order as much as possible to keep up with demand.

Either way, we'll get too much or too little.

I personally don't think there will be that much hype. AOTC stuff might sell a little better than POTJ in the beginning, but then it will level off to a "collectors only" market within a few months. The reason there was so much TPM stuff on the shelves is that for the most part, only collectors bought the stuff, and not kids, like Hasbro was hoping.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

...cuz the movie sucked. Maybe if AOTC is better, kids will respond with more interest in the toys and parents will be willing to fork over cash.

Originally posted by stillakid
    ...cuz the movie sucked.
    I'm with ya there. If anything FOTR has opened my eyes and shown me the right way to start a saga. Ep1 just didn't cut it on so many levels.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis