Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible lead for Superman film chosen?

Brandon Routh Cast as Superman - UPDATED!!
    Source: Latino Review October 16, 2004

Latino Review claims that unknown actor Brandon Routh has been cast in the title role of Warner Bros.' Superman, to be directed by Bryan Singer:

The man who Singer has picked to play Clark Kent/Superman is none other than a relatively unknown actor by the name of Brandon Routh (Seen here in the photo to the right dressed in his own Superman outfit on Halloween last year).

Brandon's name has appeared on the web as being a possible contender a few month's ago, but most recently appeared on this Iowa based TV website.

For more on the report, hit the link above. You can check out his stats here and more pictures on Routh's official website.

UPDATE!! - We checked with our own independent sources at WB and they confirmed that Brandon Routh is indeed cast as Superman. Our sources added that they don't know when Lois Lane will be cast. They also threw in tidbits that Superman writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris were recently spotted on the WB lot going through stacks and stacks of Superman comic books, so it appears that they are going back to the source material for inspiration. Our sources also confirmed that General Zod will be involved in some capacity. More to come!

Source
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brandonrouth.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	9362  
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: Possible lead for Superman film chosen?

Pretty cool that they decided to go with an unknown. I'm not familiar with any of this guy's work but someone told me today that he was on "The Young and the Restless" for awhile. Not sure if thats true or not.

Wonder who they'll cast as Zod?
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I wonder if Zod's costume will get changed or if he will still be sporting the iconic blue oyster bar attire?

KNEEL!

www.generalzod.net
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

That dude looks pretty close to Tom Welling.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

He's a little more ethinicky than Tom. This guy is of Latino descent. Interesting go with not going total white bread on the choice!!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    That dude looks pretty close to Tom Welling.
    Makes you wonder why Welling was never considered for the role.

This guy seems (and I belive is) younger than Tom Welling, that is my chief issue here. 25 is a very young age to play Superman IMO, the character seems to always be in his '30s in the comics. Dean Cain seemed like a young Supes too, but by comparison to this guy he seems much older now. I dunno.

BTW, this news was also on IMDB news yesterday.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartnr
    He's a little more ethinicky than Tom. This guy is of Latino descent. Interesting go with not going total white bread on the choice!!
    OK, a latino Tom Welling.

KRYPTONITE!!!..... HAY CARAMBA!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

It's been confirmed.

OK, he looks like he can play the role, however I of course fully back Tom Welling and the rest of the cast of Smallville.

So why are they making this movie now, in light of the success of Smallville?

Granted the professional reason: Smallville does not own the Superman MOVIE rights, though they ought to have bought them considering their fan following.

So what is this movie going to do?

1) show the ship landing and Martha and Johnathon adopting young Clark? (we've seen the very best version of that ever on Smallville - so there's nothing new here).

2) show young Clark discovering his powers in some 10-15 minutes of that dedicated for this purpose in the movie? (We've seen what couldn't possibly be topped on Clark discovering his powers on Smallville).

3) Establishing Lex Luthor and his bond to Clark? That is done so well on Smallville - and only Gene Hackman (who is now too old) or Michael Rosenbaum - who is the best Lex EVER - could possibly pull that off.

4) Redefine Lois Lane again? (Topping Margot Kidder? You have to be kidding!)

5) Do this General Zod spin (without Terrence Stamp obviously - too old for action sequences now) and ignore Lex Luthor because of Smallville's total establishment of the character?

Look - the Superman legend in its official capacity has been redefined as far as I'm concerned.

SEE SMALLVILLE!

After one more year, Smallville will be ready for movies (by summer of 2006 or 2007 if they don't shoot immediately after the show wraps like Star Trek Next Generation did).

At Comic Con, the producers said (the year before this one) that Smallville would run 5 years on television. This is the fourth season (2004-05). The fifth would be 05-06. So the Smallville movie could successfully be pulled off in the actors' hiatus in 2006.

As a last plea, if the writers of the Superman movie actually plan to respect Smallville - and if you have an audience of the No.1 show on TV that's this dedicated, you are making a serious error by disrespecting them - Superman will not block efforts of Smallvilles to be the first to do a Clark vs. Lex Luthor movie.

Doing General Zod and not getting into Lex Luthor in their movie franchise might be the way to go. Doing an older, already established Superman.

Perhaps they could even co-collaborate and use footage from Smallville to establish early stuff as a promotional for DC's / WB's other property?

Then if they make this guy look seriously older than Tom, they can feature both in the same movie, and attribute the difference to age (if there is no obvious race difference for the actors).

Anyway, this is still just aggravating news for a hardcore Smallville fan.

I sure hope this works and doesn't rip off on my favorite tv show!