Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hasbro's major retail partners appear to be poised to lose big on Star Wars (maybe)

K-mart:

12 or more Cantina Alien 3-packs with Kitik Keed Kak, Evazan, Wuher.

Toys R Us:

Jedi Council and Geonosian War Room 3-packs.
    12" Leia Boussh Disguise set from 2003 (2002?)
    12" Han Solo / AT-ST Driver (from Lando Skiff wave)
    12" Zam Wessel from 2002
    POTJ Zutton figure from 2001

KB Toys:

$1.99 Han Solo Endor Raids etc. from Saga 2002
    $7.99 Cloud Car Pilot waves overpriced that no one wants to buy
    12" Gamorrean Guards sitting
    Playskool original 'Galactic Hero style' Falcon WITH the Stormtrooper figure

Wal-Mart / Target:

Unleashed AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi "voted most unpopular Unleashed by fans"

ALL STORES:

General Jan Dodonna
    Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon
    OTC Millennium Falcon
    Princess Leia Bespin Gown

There are very few products here that I did not like and did not buy. 3-4 perhaps, but some of the stuff I really thought was cool is not moving.

What do you see as the mistakes?

What do you see will be the consequences for future SW waves - especially looking at the Padme / Pablo Jill group and the Cantina Aliens that will come out prior to the sneak preview figures for Episode 3?

Do you think SW sold more because of the DVD release?

What will effect will before-Christmas shopping have on Star Wars that's out or coming out now?

Re: Hasbro's major retail partners appear to be poised to lose big on Star Wars (maybe)

One mistake has to be case assortments. Pack cases even unless there are army builders in the case. Hasbro really has a problem with what will or will not be pegwarmers. The thing is, it doesn't matter how bad a figure is if it is packed 1 per case. It will be stated as rare and everyone will eat them up.

I'm not to sure if the DVD release sold more than normal. I didn't see anymore people than I usually see at the pegs. I think the packaging had a huge part in it. I really thought we would see more product at retail. I assumed stores like Best Buy would have the figures right by the DVD, but nope, Hasbro missed out there. I even thought my local grocery store would have had a floor display like back in the 90's.

I honestly think the packing is driving this line at this time. I mean I rarely see OTC on the pegs. As long as there are a few new figures in the cases and the packaging is appealing, Hasbro should do well.
    Last edited by Turbowars; 10-20-2004 at 10:28 PM.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Re: Hasbro's major retail partners appear to be poised to lose big on Star Wars (maybe)

I've seen all the products that Tycho has mentioned in abundance in the places he mentioned and it's no surprise. Like Turbowars says it's all in the terible case packing. But in the words of the great Fred Sanford, Hasbro is no dummy.

They are milking us just like they did with Episode I stuff. As of this November Hasbro is going to release some incredible stuff: Myo Wave, Yarua Wave, Sandcrawler, two new jedi council packs to complete the set, and they are going to keep making fantastic stuff till March. Myo is in December, and at least two unnannounced waves are coming. they're building the hype now, and then BBAAAAMMMM - Episode III floods the market. During March and April up to their release we will all be bitting our nails because of the great stuff out there, and many will buy up all the garbage sitting on the shelves now. Then we will have to deal with peg warmers for awhile until they finally get ready for the final SW push with the post episode III Star Wars line. Right now we're getting ready for the the final and most exciting lineup to come! Soon they won't be able to depend on the movies to clear out the old stuff. Soon they will have to depend on packaging, quality and case orginization to sustain the SW line. I'm curious to see what happens.

And think your right Turbowars, the packaging is currently keeping the line alive. The OTC line has caused me for the first time since Episode I to collect packaged figures again. I'm such a sucker, but I'm a happy one!
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Case asst is a big part of this. I also heard that both Hasbro and Mattel lost big in 3rd quarter sales. Maybe people are gearing up the holidays or they are not getting enough of a different product out there.

Casew asst's have pretty much sucked. The OTC were decent, but the ones people want are packed short or canceled. The scanning crew guy was canceled in his first wave which means he will be harder to find now. Hasbro really needs to fix this situation.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

My take on these

Cantina Alien 3-packs with Kitik Keed Kak, Evazan, Wuher.

While everyone wanted to see these released so they didn't have to shell out buttloads of cash on ebay to get them. They are not on par with the rest of the line right now so once the completist rush was done they will start to sit. I honestly haven't been to a K-mart in a while so I don't know how bad it is here.

Toys R Us:

12" Zam Wessel from 2002

Any lose on these figures was made long ago so it should impact new figures.

KB Toys:

KB is always overpriced which is why I never shop there. I don't know about the 1.99 hans but they constantly get in crap that nobody else sold and sell it dirt cheap. Playskool falcon was too much for collectors to pick up as a novelty side to their collection and kids small enough to enjoy the figures probably are as excited about Star Wars as much as us big kids are to push most parents to pick up a $50 set.

Wal-Mart / Target:

I wouldn't be suprised if one of them dropped this line. Honestly I think the line would do better with a more limited release.

ALL STORES:

General Jan Dodonna - old guy figure look at valorum and senator palpatine

Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon - see above

OTC Millennium Falcon - I think this will sell better around Christmas but the fact that Hasbro used the same sculpt was a big let down for me.

Princess Leia Bespin Gown - I can only guess that it is because it is a female figure that isn't in any action scenes.

Ultimately I think things are fine. I remember fearing the OTC because I thought that many recarded figures would clog the shelves. But they have been selling very well. Most of the things you mentioned here are exclusive or really really old so I don't forsee this having an effect on the main line. Now I'm sure we will have our usual terrible time finding figures in the early months because of returns and stock counting. But I believe this is toys in general because parents are usually in finacial recovery mode after Christmas.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

My take on these

The blue snagglethooth set better make it out before X-mas with K-Mart having room for the order. Parents are far more likely to buy the set with Obi-Wan Kenobi than all but die-hards who want the vintage collection totally redone and are after the blue snaggletooth.

Toys R Us:

12" Zam Wessel from 2002

The fact that they are sitting there, might discourage TRU from ordering more. We've discussed in the Words from Wal-Mart thread how many retail managers don't notice any difference between Luke and Padme so if Star Wars is in stock, it's in stock. They look at them like bananas, the only difference being that old stocks of bananas would have to be refreshed sooner!

The 3-pack situation is the worst, as Shaak-Ti sitting, as well as the first figure of Adi Gallia available for some new collectors, and the final floor sections etc of the Jedi Council, all will be hard to find, as is free shelf space in light of the room taken up by the Geonosian War Room and earliest Jedi Council scenes.

12" Collectors should definitely have to deal with more conservative ordering for E3 items including General Grevious.

KB Toys:

The 12" Gamorrean was SWEET! Chewbacca is going to be KB's new 12" Exclusive. Hopefully a 12" Chewie done right finally! Again, will KB order enough in light of the fact that they still have 2003's Gamorrean Exclusive hanging around (or was that a 2002 figure?)

If Playskool (Galactic Heroes) ships flew off the shelves, maybe those of us who are fans of big ships for the little figures could get an AT-AT, Republic Gunship, or Slave-One finally. We don't even have a TIE Fighter!

Wal-Mart / Target:

Quote Originally Posted by Dindae
    I wouldn't be suprised if one of them dropped this line. Honestly I think the line would do better with a more limited release.
    I tend to agree with you. They are more a specialty item. However, I saw some adult GI Joe collectors at Target the other day, and they were looking at Obi-Wan of all things saying "That's cool. I don't do Star Wars, but maybe I'll buy one of those." I think they did because Obi-Wan Unleashed is gone from this Target finally.

ALL STORES:

General Jan Dodonna - old guy figure look at valorum and senator palpatine

Galactic Heroes Millennium Falcon - see above

OTC Millennium Falcon - I think this will sell better around Christmas but the fact that Hasbro used the same sculpt was a big let down for me.

Princess Leia Bespin Gown - I can only guess that it is because it is a female figure that isn't in any action scenes.

[QUOTE=Dindae]
    Ultimately I think things are fine. I remember fearing the OTC because I thought that many recarded figures would clog the shelves. But they have been selling very well. [QUOTE]

Yes, I noticed that the packaging change has spurred a lot of consumption of figures. RS just did a report on "How many Han's?" as Solo - CommTech / Cantina originally - will be recarded again on another OTC 'scene-back' and released just prior to Episode 3 in one of the last 2 assortments Jaff was referring to (the other being E3 figures in the sneak preview wave). I guess Hasbro finally learned how to sell Han (put a picture of the Falcon behind him, and his ship makes him famous!) I'm a Han Solo fan so I can't say I'm sincerely rolling my eyes, but I didn't buy any of these Hans myself. Heck, with the OTC and VOTC there might be up to 100 figures now that I never bought or never had interest in buying (if you are counting carded repackagings).

Anyway, next opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Toys R Us:

12" Zam Wessel from 2002
    Speaking of the 12 inch figs, Suncoast suddenly has a lot of the Jawa wave - and they're still sitting! Amazing - the Ewok wave was the only set a lot of people wanted, and it never hit stores in enough quantities to satisfy the demand.

Re: Hasbro's major retail partners appear to be poised to lose big on Star Wars (mayb

Quote Originally Posted by tagmac
    Speaking of the 12 inch figs, Suncoast suddenly has a lot of the Jawa wave - and they're still sitting! Amazing - the Ewok wave was the only set a lot of people wanted, and it never hit stores in enough quantities to satisfy the demand.

I only wanted the Biker Scout and never found him.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Re: Hasbro's major retail partners appear to be poised to lose big on Star Wars (mayb

If you think back to other non-movie years, it was just as bad. In 2001, there were hardly any figures at all, except for the nine million X-wing Lukes that were discounted right away. And I don't really think that K-Mart's Cantina Set abundance is a bad thing. I mean, we complain if there aren't enough, we complain if there are too many! Geez. And for TRU and KB, those stores are sort of going downhill anyway, it's their own fault they haven't gotten rid of that old stuff. My TRU still has a lot of Royal Guards from 2002, they should discount them and then maybe I'll get some more. But it's only October, Christmas is still 2 months away, I think it will pick up again before then.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    My take on these

The blue snagglethooth set better make it out before X-mas with K-Mart having room for the order. Parents are far more likely to buy the set with Obi-Wan Kenobi than all but die-hards who want the vintage collection totally redone and are after the blue snaggletooth.
    If it makes you feel any better I saw alot of this 3-pack at a K-Mart here in Virginia Beach and it doesn't look all that bad IMO.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!