Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just scored Utris M'toc w/ BG-J38's leg... at Target (?!?)

I made an unplanned stop at a Target this morning on the way to San Diego (a toddler saying she's about to poop her pants has a way of making one do so). Since I was there, I figured I'd check out the toy aisles, and almost carped my own pants when I saw Utris M'toc sitting right on the front of a peg. I expected him to come with the HK-50 part, but, no, he has the BG-J38 right leg.

Any idea what's going on here? I was under the impression this variant would only be in the EU wave, now a TRU exclusive. There were a few remnants of the ESB and ROTS waves (including Willrow--sorry, Tycho, this took me so by surprise I forgot momentarily you wanted more of him), but all of them came with the proper HK-50 and YVH-1 parts.

So, is the wave sneaking out early, and at stores other than TRU? I kind of doubt it, unless someone snatched up all the EU figures and somehow missed Utris. Then again, I've not read any reports of anyone finding Utris mixed in with the ESB or ROTS waves, and it really makes no sense for one figure with one part of an as-yet unreleased droid to be released with an earlier wave.

Adding to the oddness, one of the ROTS wave figures they had was the concept IG-88. He had the proper right leg to YVH-1. However, across the back, where the strip that says "Collect these awesome characters!" is printed, there's a sticker that says "Product not available in all countries" in 17 (!!!) languages. Also, the entire bottom side of the bubble has a large sticker covering the bar code and legalese, with the legalese again in multiple languages and a different UPC that wasn't in the Target system. (The cashier just scanned Utris twice.) Oh, and the Eopie sticker isn't on the front, and there's a sticker on the right side of the bubble with the Hasbro logo, lion head in triangle, CE logo--all the stuff that doesn't fit on the bottom because of the 17 languages thing. It's clearly not been opened or re-packed, though. I didn't notice any other figures with the extra/missing stickers.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow (too exhausted right now to mess with the camera), but I'm not sure which of these finds is weirder. Pretty happy to have Utris and a second concept IG-88, though. Anyone else come across either of these oddities, or know what's going on?
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 03-22-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Eh, what the heck. The camera's not too tough to use. Here are some pics, first of Utris, the front of the IG-88, and a close-up of IG-88's back, showing the sticker as best I can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0212.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	22707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0213.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	22708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0214.jpg 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	22709  
    Tommy, close your eyes.

And the stickers on the side and bottom of IG-88. The only thing I can guess is that this particular figure was intended to go to another country and, for some reason, was mixed in with Target's shipment. Doesn't explain the Utris showing up, though, since he didn't have anything weird with his stickers (just his existence), nor why this particular Target had two such unusual SW figures at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0215.jpg 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	22710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0216.jpg 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	22711  
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 03-22-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Sounds like a mistake to me. No one else has posted anything like this anywhere that I've seen. It seems pretty clear that IG was meant to be in an international shipment but made it into a US bound box by accident. If that's the case, then perhaps it stands to reason that the guy putting the case together in China just grabbed the wrong Bespin Guard to finish off the case?
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I've considered that, and am not going to rule it out. However (and please correct me if I'm wrong here), I don't believe there's a single case assortment that includes Concept IG-88 and either Bespin Guard figure. (Aren't all 2010 concept figures only released once, with the only release of the IG-88 being a wave earlier than any wave including a Bespin Guard?) Which would mean it would have to be two jacked up cases. Not impossible, since I did see evidence both the ESB and ROTS waves had arrived relatively recently, but one random Target getting two such screwy cases at once? The odds of that are about on par with successfully navigating an asteroid field.

I'm not at all prepared to disagree with you entirely (especially with my knowledge of case assortments being fuzzy and possibly wrong altogether), but the chances of two messed up cases going through the entire distribution process and winding up at the same store seems like a very slim chance. Then again, I can't come up with a better explanation than yours.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

You make a good point about them not being in the same case. And it is unlikely that there were two cases that were screwed up but in different ways. Either way, it's all terribly bizarre.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

My first inclination was to say that perhaps somebody returned one or both after getting them online or something, but that wouldn't really make sense. In all likelihood, the Edian figure was accidentally switched with an Utris M'Toc while Hasbro was putting the case together.

You're right about the case assortments - IG-88 only comes one per case with wave 11 (the ROTS wave), and the Cloud City Wing Guard comes one per case with wave 12 (ESB) and wave 12, revision 1 (which removes Willrow, the concept Snowtrooper, and R2-X2, and some of the older figures, subbing in different older figures). Well, then he also comes with the EU wave, of course, but that's supposed to be the Utris variation.

Whatever happened, that's a super-awesome find!

Do we have any idea how Hasbro handles running changes from the production end of things? I sort of figured they made all of the first version, then switched. Is it possible that sometime in the production run of the ESB wave, they ran out of Edian and started using Utris? (Which would mean that there would logically be at least a few more Utrises floating around.) Then again, if that were to happen, I'd think they'd have the HK-50 part, unless the figures are totally packaged and just waiting to be boxed up.

Some insight into Hasbro's procedures might explain this, but I doubt they'll be especially forthcoming.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Do we have any idea how Hasbro handles running changes from the production end of things? I sort of figured they made all of the first version, then switched. Is it possible that sometime in the production run of the ESB wave, they ran out of Edian and started using Utris? (Which would mean that there would logically be at least a few more Utrises floating around.) Then again, if that were to happen, I'd think they'd have the HK-50 part, unless the figures are totally packaged and just waiting to be boxed up.

Some insight into Hasbro's procedures might explain this, but I doubt they'll be especially forthcoming.
    No, that's not how it works, they have unique item numbers despite being on the same card. They need to run different trays and sometimes different accessories.

Great find. I would guess this was mixed in with the very last dribs of a running change case that Target had ordered, it's a "cusp" item. Since it has a unique UPC code, and Target was able to ring it up, that means this was intentional.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    No, that's not how it works, they have unique item numbers despite being on the same card.... Since it has a unique UPC code, and Target was able to ring it up, that means this was intentional.
    I hadn't even checked this, JT. Sure enough, it's a different UPC number. Edian is 653569444756, and Utris is 653569464914. Both have a part number of 6932275100, but that's on the card which, thanks to the droid part info being on a sticker, appears to be identical on both. (I imagine I don't have to tell you the UPC is on the bubble insert.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.