Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Favorite Simpsons subtle motifs

There are quotes from the Simpsons we all love (see that thread), but there are some actions and other phrases that repeat throughout the series (that's what a motif [moe-teef] is, BTW). Which ones are your faves?

Mine would probably be the fact that so many things burst into flames so easily, especially things that are not actually flamable.

Others:
    - The step, step, step-step-step; door slam; car screeching sound when someone's leaving an uncomfortable situation.
    - Microphone feedback almost every time someone speaks into one.
    - The crow at the power plant.

There must be more!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Re: Favorite Simpsons subtle motifs

Everytime you see Hans Moleman, something bad happens to him. Does that count?

I do love how things burst into flames all the time, no matter what it is.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

My favorite thing that bursted into flames was when the milk tanker ran into the baseball back stop and the back stop caught on fire.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Explosions often befall the tombs and birthplaces of famous authors and artists. I guess the motif would be the wanton destruction of the treasured historical objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    My favorite thing that bursted into flames was when the milk tanker ran into the baseball back stop and the back stop caught on fire.
    The backstop was the best explosion. I loved the way it exploded well after Homer drove through it.

One no one has mentioned yet was "Yoink" whenever anybody snatches something out of anothers hand.

And the Lenny/Carl "relationship" never gets old.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I love the use of Comic Book Guy to poke fun of the show itself. This was especially true in JT's favorite episode ever, "Land of the Jockeys."

"I seem to recall you once had a horse, and great hilarity ensued."

"Mom, I think you're developing a gambling problem."
    "I'm watching you."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Not really a motif, but it was a great subtle joke.
    In the episode where Homer coaches Bart's football team, Rod and Tod wear the numbers 66 and 6.
    I lost it the first time I saw it.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    In the episode where Homer coaches Bart's football team, Rod and Tod wear the numbers 66 and 6.
    I'd never noticed that!

I think when the Y2K bug hit, a milk carton burst into flames.

I also like how just after the opening sequence, the Simpsons family always ends up on the couch. Anybody else notice that?

Subtle? No, it's pronounced "nuke-you-lerr."
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Whenever the POV goes from one room to another or from level to level the animators always put in hidden stuff inside the walls or floors. I think there were treasure chests and a skeleton in the floor between stories of the Simpson home.

Also, doesnt the interior of the Simpsons home change from episode to episode?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten