Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Overblown and overrated!

Exhaust Port, sounds like just because you don't like Nirvana you ignore their place in music history. You want to discount them and act like they had no impact on rock music. Well, too bad. They have solidified a place in rock history whether you like them or not. And nothing you can say or do can remove them from their position. If we ask 10 experts or music historians or whatever you want to call them (music magazine editors), I am sure at least 9 out of 10 will tell you that, YES, Nirvana has an important place in music history and Nirvana changed music. If you don't believe me, do your research. And I'll do mine...and we'll see what the "experts" of music believe...not just two guys on a Star Wars forum with different opinions. Ask them if they believe Nirvana has a solid place in rock history. And most people who "really know their stuff" about the history of rock music will agree about their relevant spot in history.
    I might not like Elvis, but I acknowledge his part in rock. I might not like metallica but I acknowledge thier part in metal, same with BS. Just because I don't like them, I shouldn't blow them off as overrated and "suckie".
    Last edited by TheDarthVader; 11-24-2004 at 05:35 PM.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

If everyone's sitting down, I'd like to propose that the Doors are tremendously overrated.

The band is great, don't get me wrong. But that lead singer! Jeesh. Jim Morrison's supposed to be this rock god, and he was a good performer. But as a singer he was only above average, and I'll never understand what sort of crack rock people have to smoke to think he's a great poet.

I like 'em, but you don't get more overrated than that.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The Doors...I can see that and I'll second it. I am the lizard king and what the king says goes! Put them on the royal sucky list.

I'd like to toss phil colins in there, phish, and mr. slim shady in there too. Phish was nothing more than an off shoot of the deadheads who didn't want the ride to end. Phil has to call it a career already. I'll give him invisible touch, but nothing more. Will the lip-sync singer please stand up, please stand up.

I used to like the Ramones back in the early 80's but when I hear them now and listen to them, really listen to them...I have no clue what I seen in them.

Usher and Nelly are on the list too.

Yea DMB was over rated and pushed hard...sort of like a new age filler or cross over for the older grunge fans, some angst with a pop flavor. Keep the doc martins, preppy up the flannel shirt...

I'd also like to put snoop dog on the list. I think the man invents a new language every week, *snizzle bazizzle* God bless you that sounded like one heck of a sneez.

Again...anything from the short lived grunge era...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

The lizard king has spoken...off with meatloafs head.

Please none of the older folks out there kill me but I'm gonna have to say The Beatles are quite overrated. All of there songs sound the same, IMO.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I disagree about the Beatles, but I can see where you're coming from.

If Snoop had called it quits after one album, he wouldn't be overrated. Doggystyle was a great album, but I'll give at least 50% of the credit for that one to Dr Dre. As it is, I don't think "overrated" is quite the right word for Snoop. He's completely and totally washed up and doesn't know it yet. It's actually rather pathetic to watch him nowadays.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    Please none of the older folks out there kill me but I'm gonna have to say The Beatles are quite overrated. All of there songs sound the same, IMO.
    I agree. And while I see how important they were to rock and pop, but all the early stuff all sounds the same.

As for The Doors, mentioned earlier, I think they are either a band you like or don't like. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with most people.
    Myself, I love The Doors. I think a lot of their appeal was Jim and his theatrics, not necessarily his lyrics (which I think were good, not great). Plus, their typically dark and moody music was a welcome change from most of the peace and love crap that was going on at the time.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I like the Doors, but I kind of compare them to Nirvana in some ways. Both were around for a short time, made a big impact, the lead singer dies, and then the band rises to legendary status. One advantage for the Doors is that they didn't sound like any other band at the time, and to this day their sound is still unique. After Nirvana, there were tons of bands that sounded like them. I still like both bands though.

I have the Mother Love Bone CD. I really like the songs "This is Shangrila", "Stardog Champion", "Holly Roller", "Bone China", "Man of Golden Words" (from where we get the lyric "Temple of the Dog"), and "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns". The rest of the album didn't do much for me.

Also this past year, I got Green River - Dry as a Bone/Rehab Doll. I listened once or twice and I didn't get into it much. I know I liked a couple songs at least though. But of course, that band led to Mudhoney and Mother Love Bone, and eventually Pearl Jam.

Ramones - I know a lot of people who hate the current pop punk bands but will hold up the Ramones as being more of a true punk band. However, their music actually had a bit of a pop sound to it as well. But even in the early 80's, some punks seemed to have already grown weary of them. Check out the lyrics to "Rock & Roll Bull[expletive deleted]" by Government Issue - "I used to listen to the Clash but now they suck like all the trash, the Ramones used to be a hit but now they're just a pile of [expletive deleted]". This was a song from 1981. I like the Ramones, though I've not really heard more than a few songs.

I have a song from each Pixies album in my internet station's playlist. My favorite Pixies album is probably Surfer Rosa. Death to the Pixies is a decent compilation with some liner notes by the guy that recorded their first album. He does a good job of explaining the importance of the Pixies.

Quote Originally Posted by mabudon
    ExP- good point about Sabbath's last few albums... I actually saw them on the tour for some POS which escaped from them in the late 90's, they were donwright awful, only Tony Iommi was left from the originals IIRC-
    Well you and I must have been one of the few ticket sales they had. DeHumanizer was one of the Dio era tours they had that I attended. There were a few others but I've blocked them out of my mind. Oh, one was called Dehumanizer or something with Tony Martin as the lead singer. Man, did that suck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarthVader
    Exhaust Port, sounds like just because you don't like Nirvana you ignore their place in music history. You want to discount them and act like they had no impact on rock music.
    I never said that I didn't like Nirvana especially since Nevermind came out during a very exciting time in my life so the music is full of memories, but that's a personal note.

I also never said they didn't have an impact on rock music. This thread is about overrated or overblown acts. Nirvana's place in music history is overrated IMHO. There are plenty of articles out there that claim that Kurt was the second coming of Christ or something, especially after he killed himself. It's almost his legend grew as well as the perceived impact they had on the course of music.

Why was Nirvana so influencial? They weren't the first grunge band. They didn't have the most album sales. They were the first to have a single but that doesn't equate greatness. As posty333 said, and I came to the same conclusion...

Quote Originally Posted by posty333
    I like the Doors, but I kind of compare them to Nirvana in some ways. Both were around for a short time, made a big impact, the lead singer dies, and then the band rises to legendary status.
    That's just about it right there. Look where the Doors are now compared to even a 2 decades ago. I remember the same crap being said about Jim Morrison in the 70's. Now with another 20 years passed I find less people willing to put Jim on the same pedestal now. Time has cleared the issue of emotion and folks are more likely to look at the works alone.

I also agree that even now The Doors haven't had another band recapture their sound. Nirvana was among many other grunge bands to hit the scene. We have also seen the grunge music spawn other bands in the years to follow. <cough>Godsmack<cough>
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

ExP- funny story, MOTORHEAD was opening for them one the tour I saw (and yes, Tony Martin was the "lead singer") and my buddies got lost one the way... they showed up just after "Brown Sabbath" took the stage and were intensely disappointed, to say the least... we even invented a new style of \m/ to throw that night, maybe I'll post a pic, it is easier to show than to explain

And just a not about the doors- Mike Nelso (of MST3K fame) wrote about them in his book nad summed it all up by saying how he couldn't get how kids could get so "into" an act whos vocalist sounds like their father singing in the shower....

I would second the Beatles, too (or is that "third"???)
    And the Stones, too, they haven't really made a listenable song since the early 70's or somehitng like that, and their current performance, from what I've seen, looks like a Vegas show only tickets cost hundreds of dollars

I would also mention Peter Frampton, but he isn't really rated much at all anymore
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

The Rolling Stone 500 Greatest songs of all time.

The Beatles have 6 songs in the top 30. SIX FREAKIN' SONGS!
    Talk about overblown and overrated. No band is that good.
    *sigh*
    I wish Rolling Stone would remove their heads from The Beatles butt...
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!