Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Overblown and overrated!

Man, this forum is dead.

So I'll start some controversy with a sampling of my list of overblown and overrated twits:

1) John Mayer: Okay, he's not really big enough to be "overrated," I suppose, but the guy's supposed to be a singer-songwriter, yet can't string together a coherent sentence that doesn't sound like it came from a 6th grader's diary? He should be shot for using the word "bubblegum" in a song. And he claims to be a guitar player with Hendrix as his idol, but is disgustingly incompetent. (I've never picked up an axe but imagine I'd be better on my first try.) Is this what the singer-songwriter label has come to? Ick.

2) Marilyn Manson: Thankfully well on his way into obscurity, but did he ever suck. He tried to be controversial by doing what Ozzy and Judas Priest did decades earlier, and they were not only better at controversy, but they actually had musical talent to go with it. My favorite quote about him is from Alice Cooper (I'm paraphrasing): "He wears makeup, uses a woman's name, and tries to shock people with his act. How incredibly original!"

3) Jeff Buckley: Here's where I'll start drawing flack, I'm willing to bet. He's supposedly a great songwriter. But you know what? I can't agree or disagree because I can't understand a damn word he said! Not only incomprehensible, but he sounds like a whiny little girl who skinned her knee. A half-decent cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is all he has to his credit, and Leonard did it a billion times better (even with his total lack of a singing voice). But Pete Yorn apparently idolizes Buckley and was inspired by him, so he was good for something.

4) Warren Zevon: Seriously. A one-hit wonder for "Werewolves of London." That's it. The recent tribute seems odd: Dylan, Springsteen, etc covering songs by someone who was by far their inferior in the songwriting department. Even if you like him, I think you'll have to agree with me on "overblown" for one reason: last year, he got the only "memorial tribute performance" on the Grammies. Last year. The same year both Johnny and June Carter Cash passed on. You put anyone higher than Johnny Cash, and they're automatically overblown. Johnny Cash is, well, Johnny Cash.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: Overblown and overrated!

Bands I think are way overrated:
    Radiohead
    The White Stripes
    The Strokes, The Vine, The Hives (basically any band that begins with The)
    A Perfect Circle
    Tool (The new stuff anyway)
    Linkin Park
    There isn't much new or exciting in any of them, IMO.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Bands I think are way overrated:
    Radiohead
    I sense a Guyute post comin' on.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

The one that got me was Korn. Unless you were one of those many, many fortunate fans that claimed to have been a fan before they got big.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I'll jump in on this one.

Here my list of cruddy bands/artist getting WAY too much credit for hack work.

Top of my list - Nirvana
    Pearl Jam
    Ace of Base
    Roxette
    Creed
    Lincon Park
    POD

Man I could go on and on with today "artists" and most of the garbage that was pushed out in the 90's. I know you'll have your flash in the pan groups, but the music biz today is just pumping out carbon copies of identical bands with a differnt name on them.

I thk 80% of music is way over-rated today. It all sounds the same. No originality in it.

JBF, your olfactory senses did not decieve you, he will post. .
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    I sense a Guyute post comin' on.
    Betray you, your senses do not.

now, first off, i can completly understand why some folks wouldn't like Radiohead as they're not for everybody: with their atmospheric brilliance, roaring guitars, their alienated, yet beautiful lyrics and to top it off: the angelic voice of one Thom Yorke. If you need to wonder why Radiohead is hailed as brilliant and puts out masterpieces, sit down and listen to the chaotic glory that is "OK Computer" and follow it up "The Bends" and i promise you'll be a fan. Or, i like to think that i can promise you'll be a fan.

However, i do agree with most of the other replies here. I loathe John Mayer with every fiber of my being. His voice just annoys the ever lasting bajesus out of me and his songs are so damned lame. anyway, here is my list of those i hate:
    John Mayer
    Metallica ("Load" and everything afterward)
    The White Stripes (I can stand one song by them, the one from "Napoleon Dynamite")
    Nirvana (as my old guitar teacher said, "Cobain was better with a shotgun than he was with a guitar")
    Ween
    any rap at all

that should do it.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    Metallica ("Load" and everything afterward)
    I sense a JBF post comin' on! Wait, that's me.

I can understand why anyone would not like Load and afterwards. Personally, I think Load is greatness in audio form, but that's just me. I can take Metallica not playing Master of Puppets 2 and sliding into some blues and country sounding rock. Some people want them just playing metal, I can accept their musical greatness transcending genres.

I will now await your verbal bullets to shred through me! Bring it! Seriously, don't though. When I start talking Metallica, everyone is bored and I become irate. Seriously.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Well, I havent really cared much about Metallica since And Justice for All. To me that was the last good album they ever made.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    Ween
    Ween!

That song "Push The Little Daisy's" was great! But that is the only thing I've heardr from them, and that was about 10 years ago. I didn't know they were rated, nevermind over-rated.

Great av JMG. I'm looking forward to their new album in a week or so.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars