View Poll Results: What do you think of the Episode III Trailer?

Voters
517. You may not vote on this poll
  • I totally loved it.

338 65.38%
  • I liked it.

115 22.24%
  • It was ok.

45 8.70%
  • I didn't like it that much.

6 1.16%
  • Not good, I expected better.

10 1.93%
  • I didn't like it at all.

3 0.58%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Did you like the Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Ben's voiceover just proves further that the Prequels have not followed the continuity of the OT. Unrelated and nonsensical images are placed over Ben's description of what we were told would happen. Clearly they had trouble finding relevant images primarily because there weren't any. What does Anakin flying through the desert have to do with anything Ben was saying? Nada, that's what. I'm being vindicated onscreen by the trailer. I expect more of the same with the movie.
    I didn't find the images to be unrelated to what Ben was saying. When he speaks of the Jedi being the guardians of peace and justice, we see an image of Qui-Gon. We see the beginnings of the Empire with the clone army when he mentions "before the dark times". When he talks about a young Jedi named Darth Vader, we see images of Anakin. The shot of Anakin on the bike is when Ben says Vader hunted down the Jedi. While he wasn't hunting Jedi in that scene, he was on his way to hunt down Tuskens. When Ben says Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force, we see Anakin and his evil eyes. I'll admit I don't know what's up with the eyes, but perhaps we'll find out.

And overall, I didn't get the sense of "story" that a trailer like this should give. I'm not suggesting that it tell the story, but that it hints at some of the dramatic turns that occur. Really, most of what we see are a lot of reaction shots by characters to some kind of unknown events. Hopefully the next trailer will calm down and reveal some of the politics and drama of the story.
    This is just a "teaser trailer". I'm sure the next trailer will reveal a bit more of the story. Still, we get more of a sense of story with this trailer than we did with the first trailer for Episode II, which was basically silent except for a little music and some lightsaber clashes at the end. That trailer was pretty much a bunch of random images.

Interesting idea. So to all the Prequel-lovers out there, is it equally okay to say "enough is enough" when it comes to praise?

The question was posed, "Did you like the Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Trailer?" I answered it as did many others. The question didn't specify that only positive reviews be posted.
    A simple Yes or No and a short reason why would suffice (like the others did), not a massive nit-picky post about the little things that are "nonsensical," when you haven't even seen the movie.
    You seem to use any Episode III related topic to blast it left and right, which I find odd. I don't like Lord of the Rings (at all) and I don't go to every Lord of the Rings related-thread to blast it.

Teaser trailers don't have to tell the story. That's why they're called teasers. IMO, far too many trailers tell far too much of the story.

So far, I don't see any conflict with Ben's ANH dialogue and the prequels. Remember his "certain point of view" explaination from ROTJ? He was trying to protect Luke from the truth and chose to leave out certain aspects.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    A simple Yes or No and a short reason why would suffice (like the others did), not a massive nit-picky post about the little things that are "nonsensical," when you haven't even seen the movie.
    I won't give that comment the respect of a response.

You seem to use any Episode III related topic to blast it left and right, which I find odd. I don't like Lord of the Rings (at all) and I don't go to every Lord of the Rings related-thread to blast it.
    Seem to. I wasn't blasting the movie. I was posting my opinion about the Episode III trailer, which was the question posed. Again, I don't recall there be a stipulation that the comments be positive.

Teaser trailers don't have to tell the story. That's why they're called teasers. IMO, far too many trailers tell far too much of the story.
    True. Again I didn't suggest that it "tell" the story but merely that it expound more upon other aspects. I would agree that a "teaser" trailer is fundamentally meant to be more "emotional" in nature in order to rev an audience up for further trailers down the road. I explained in my initial post why I felt that it failed in that regard (ie, the choice of imagery).

So far, I don't see any conflict with Ben's ANH dialogue and the prequels. Remember his "certain point of view" explaination from ROTJ? He was trying to protect Luke from the truth and chose to leave out certain aspects.
    I don't choose to rely on the "certain point of view" comment by Ben to rationalize away every inconsistency that exists in the saga. His comment was made for a very specific reason regarding a very specific incident at a very specific time. The idea that Ben is a "liar" and colors everything he says behind the "certain point of view" concept hasn't played out in the Prequels nor in any other part of the OT outside of the given situation.

If we are to rely on what Ben said in the OT as you yourself are suggesting, then by your own standards the Prequels are not following the given events nor timeline. Therefore using Ben's VO as a companion to select shots from the Prequels is misleading at best.

If we are to rely on what Ben said in the OT as you yourself are suggesting, then by your own standards the Prequels are not following the given events nor timeline. Therefore using Ben's VO as a companion to select shots from the Prequels is misleading at best.
    What did Ben say in the OT that has been contradicted?

What's with Hayden's eyes?
    He has turned to the darkside.....

No, but seriously, I WAS wondering that myself. The link is pretty funny.
    CRAZY EYES!!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by posty333
    What did Ben say in the OT that has been contradicted?
    There are already numerous threads about this, but really quickly:

Anakin was a good friend.
    We haven't seen any evidence of this at all. In TPM, Ani is a little kid and the interactions between he and Obi Wan are sparse at best. They were definitely not "friends." When we join their relationship in progress in AOTC, it is not a "good friend" relationship. At best it's a strained teacher/student arrangement throughout.

When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him.
    One might assume that Old Ben is referring to the Podracing. However, how would he know? He never saw it. He was stuck on the ship while the newly invented character named Qui Gon went out and found the boy. Obi Wan never had occasion to be "amazed" at how strongly the Force was with Anakin.

I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi.
    Except that he didn't. Qui Gon did, but he of course died before really starting. The only reason Obi Wan did teach Ani is because Qui Gon asked him to. But we see in TPM and AOTC that Obi Wan is not enthusiastic ever about teaching Anakin. He questions Qui Gon about it during TPM and remains ambivalent throughout AOTC even as Yoda spins the discussion to another topic.

I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.
    This implies that Obi Wan found a kid with great potential and Obi Wan's pride gave him the idea that he could teach just as well as his own teacher had. However, as illustrated clearly, none of that scenario is true according to the Prequels thus far. Obi Wan did not find the boy. Obi Wan did not see how great a pilot he was. Obi Wan was never "amazed" at his Force potential. Obi Wan did not choose to teach the boy. Obi Wan did not exhibit any sense of grandeur at being able to teach Anakin.

Also, the following passages were in one of the original drafts for ROTJ, but didn't make it to screen. While non-screen items are not official canon, they do go to show that they were considered as plot or character points by Lucas at one time. The contradictions are obvious.

BEN
    When I first knew him, your father was
    already a great pilot. But I was amazed how
    strongly the Force was with him. I took it
    upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I
    thought that I could instruct him just as
    well as Yoda. I was wrong. My pride has
    had terrible consequences for the galaxy.
    As already discussed, the ROTJ implication is that a younger Obi Wan set out to train Anakin for reasons of pride. However, the Prequels clearly show that Obi Wan was ambivalent in agreeing to teach the boy at Qui Gon's request. His concern continues throughout the Prequels.

Luke looks into the distance, trying to comprehend all this.

BEN (continuing his narrative)
    When your father left, he didn't know your
    mother was pregnant. Your mother and I knew
    he would find out eventually, but we wanted
    to keep you both as safe as possible, for as
    long as possible. So I took you to live with
    my brother Owen on Tatooine... and your mother
    took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator
    Organa, on Alderaan
    While we haven't seen Episode III yet, according to this original scenario, Anakin will have to leave Padme before learning about the pregnancy and never return to her. The Owen familial relationship is already shot per AOTC which inspires a whole new set of questions regarding just how and why Obi Wan would choose to hide baby Luke with people he doesn't know (or know about) on a planet he has only briefly visited (TPM) in a homestead which Anakin is likely to revisit (family, dead mother's grave).

The entire Prequel scenario deviates radically from the storyline that was being established by the original films. All the evidence any reasonable person needs to see it is available to view at home.

I won't give that comment the respect of a response.
    Ummm...you just did.
    DOMINATE!

Anakin was a good friend
    We haven't seen any evidence of this at all. In TPM, Ani is a little kid and the interactions between he and Obi Wan are sparse at best. They were definitely not "friends." When we join their relationship in progress in AOTC, it is not a "good friend" relationship. At best it's a strained teacher/student arrangement throughout.
    No evidence? Did you watch AOTC? Sure there is tension between the two, but you don't defy the word of the Council to save your teacher. And how many people tell their teacher they are like a father to them?

When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him.
    One might assume that Old Ben is referring to the Podracing. However, how would he know? He never saw it. He was stuck on the ship while the newly invented character named Qui Gon went out and found the boy. Obi Wan never had occasion to be "amazed" at how strongly the Force was with Anakin.
    Ben never told Luke that he saw Anakin fly anything. A human child winning a podrace and flying a Naboo starfighter (with no training) is a good indicator of how good a pilot he is and how strong the Force is with him.

I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi.
    Except that he didn't. Qui Gon did, but he of course died before really starting. The only reason Obi Wan did teach Ani is because Qui Gon asked him to. But we see in TPM and AOTC that Obi Wan is not enthusiastic ever about teaching Anakin. He questions Qui Gon about it during TPM and remains ambivalent throughout AOTC even as Yoda spins the discussion to another topic.
    Yeah, he did. He could have told Qui-Gon "No." Plus, he told Yoda he would train Anakin even if the Council denied it. In AOTC, he seems frustrated because Anakin is headstrong and overconfident rather than unenthusiastic.

I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.
    This implies that Obi Wan found a kid with great potential and Obi Wan's pride gave him the idea that he could teach just as well as his own teacher had.
    He never said that he discovered Anakin. You're reading things that aren't there. The only thing he implies is that Yoda was a great teacher.

Also, the following passages were in one of the original drafts for ROTJ, but didn't make it to screen. While non-screen items are not official canon, they do go to show that they were considered as plot or character points by Lucas at one time. The contradictions are obvious.
    The key word there was considered. They would be contradictions IF they had been used, but they weren't, so it doesn't matter. Lucas chose not to include them for a reason.

The entire Prequel scenario deviates radically from the storyline that was being established by the original films. All the evidence any reasonable person needs to see it is available to view at home.
    By evidence, do you mean Hayden Christensen, not Sebastian Shaw is the true spirit Anakin Skywalker, as clearly shown in the ROTJ DVD?
    DOMINATE!

Obi-Wan didn't say the first time he saw Anakin was as a pilot. He just said he was already a good pilot when he first met him. Just because he didn't see Anakin in the podrace or in the Naboo fighter doesn't mean he doesn't know about it.

Before Anakin and Obi-Wan actually met, Obi-Wan analyzed the blood sample and saw the midichlorian count and was certainly amazed by that. Even in disagreeing with Qui-Gon about training him, he felt that the boy was dangerous.

Training Anakin certainly wasn't his idea, so I'll agree that does not quite line up with the OT. However, here a couple things to consider. Qui-Gon told the council he would train Anakin and that Obi-Wan was ready for the trials. Obi-Wan could have spoken out against training Anakin but instead said he was ready for the trials. That could be putting his pride first. Also, if he felt so reluctant to train Anakin, he could have agreed with Yoda rather than stubbornly insist to train him just to fulfill Qui-Gon's promise.

The parts that seem to be most contradicted are the parts that didn't make it to the film. Owen and Obi-Wan's relationship certainly is one thing. However, to say that Obi-Wan doesn't know or even know about them is probably going too far. Obi-Wan knows where Anakin is from and Anakin must have talked about his family at some point. Also, Padme has been there and knows what good people they are, so she may have had some influence.

I'll agree that the prequels didn't do a good enough job of establishing a friendly relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. The scene of them in the elevator at the beginning of AOTC was supposed to show that, but it didn't really have that much of an impact. We do hear Anakin on a couple occasions say Obi-Wan is like a father to him. That doesn't necessarily equate to a good friend type of relationship, but Anakin does seem to have appreciation and respect for Obi-Wan. He's just being pulled in another direction by the time we join the action in AOTC.

A little side-tracked, but..does anybody know if you can save the trailer onto your computer? Usually, I can pull stuff like that out of my temporary internet files, but it wasn't there. I have lousy dial-up, and don't want to wait a half hour just to watch a minute and a half lone trailer.
    "Chad Vader to aisle 5 for vomit cleanup. Chad to aisle 5 for vomit cleanup."