Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Decipher Looses Sw License

Saw this piece of news today over at collectstarwars.com. Not affecting me too much cos I don't keep those cards anyway. But I do have a few pieces of those with pretty nice picture / artworks on them and I have no doubt they do the best SW CCG cards the market can offer. Heres the news quoted from CSW site :

"(12/27/01 8:19 PM PST Bananapunk)
    For a few months now, rumor has been circulating that Decipher was not offered a renewal on their Star Wars license by Lucasfilm. With Hasbro's acquisition of Wizards of the Coast, the appeal of streamlining LFL's licensing partnerships certainly came to play. Today, Warren Holland, President and CEO of Decipher, issued a statement to make it official. It's certainly a sad day for CCG fans everywhere! Here's an excerpt from Holland's transcript:

But... I have to be very honest and say that I don't believe this decision is a very wise one on the part of Lucasfilm, and I'm not really telling you anything that I haven't already told them. However, Lucasfilm is the owner of the Star Wars property. And within certain limits, they can do with it as they wish and we all have to accept that. Also, as many of you know, Hasbro is a master toy licensee for Star Wars and George Lucas is a 10% owner of the company. And... It's no secret that Hasbro paid $500 million for the Star War license and it just hasn't performed that well for them. So, I think we had to contend with all of that. "

You can click this link to see more of the news :

http://www.decipher.com/starwars/ann...ent122801.html

Its sad. And I hope Hasbro was removed of its 12" license and Dragon will take over

I read the report over at TFN, and they pointed out that Lucasfilm's move appears to be uniting everything under the Hasbro banner yet again.

I have no immediate opinion on this, because I never collected the cards, but I do know they were quite popular.

How has the CCG market been holding up lately? I'm curious to see how many people here are (were) still involved in the trade . . .

We reported this news earlier today... please check our news section before plugging other sites that just follow up our news...
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

What I meant to say was that I read this story in SirSteve's news section. And a fine news section it is!

Lets see , Hasbro-The Empire Hasbro- The Empire.

Does anyone see any difference?
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

I see a difference, the Galactic Empire was run better! Some folks at Hasbro are very bright, but it seems like on many levels, the management teams just don't seem to be firing on all thrusters.

I especially don't like this monopolizing of Star Wars that Hasbro has worked for, but on the other hand, look how many of their divisions really got burned on Ep 1 merchandise; book publisher DK and vinyl statue producer Applause got really hurt by Ep 1's over-merchandising effects though, I think to the point of hitting bankruptcy, so Hasbro didn't take all the brunt of it. But Hasbro buying Galoob, CAP Toys (candy), and several other licensees, then overproducing and eating it big time couldn't have happened to a greedier company.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I have collected and thoroughly enjoyed the Decipher CCGs. But if their run is coming to an end than so are my CCG collecting days. I just don't like WOTC too much.

I wonder if Decipher lost their license due to a D.U.I. (Didn't Use their Intelligence) while creating background characters too many times. I never like to see any company lose out on marketing SW, but Decipher and WOTC didn't handle things well.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Decipher handled things PERFECTLY......

And were sanctioned by PRE HASBRO Lucasfilm to CREATE names for the background characters........

just look at a PRE WOTC issue of SW Insider (Which I used to like, but have decided to hate with a passion), and you'll see that Lucasfilm was TOTALLY Behind, and Committed to, Decipher's CCG....

but now that Hasbro is their corporate toadie, it's as if the Decipher game NEVER EVEN EXISTED........this appalls, and sickens me.......

what's next?, the sanctioning of the SW comics, books, and other quality items, and subsequent re-introduction under Hasbro's flawed marketing scheme???

It's time to wake up, and DEMAND to have the stuff we've voted as quality given back to us.....

that's right, Star Wars IS NOT George's......it's OURS........we're the ones who decide to spend or not to spend money on it......sure, it was his idea, but the second he decided to share it with us, was when he gave up the exclusivity of it......

tell him, and Hasbro, that we won't take it.......that we want Decipher's game, not WOTCs.......and to do that, is simply to not buy the damn cards.......

if we cripple him again, and make Hasbro take a dive (In favor of whatever remaining licensees still exist), it will send a clear message to those who hold the reins, that the change they made was the wrong one.....maybe we'll get what we want......frankly, I believe that too much is better than not enough.......as evidenced by my elation due to the GLUT of Episode 1 Merchandise......

maybe we just need to send them the right message.....

or maybe I'm just out of my damn mind.......
    "You will shed tears of crimson"-Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)

YOU MADE IT HAPPEN!!! THANKS FOR VOTING CONCEPT STORMIE!!!

Originally posted by Taichi
    Decipher handled things PERFECTLY......

And were sanctioned by PRE HASBRO Lucasfilm to CREATE names for the background characters........

just look at a PRE WOTC issue of SW Insider (Which I used to like, but have decided to hate with a passion), and you'll see that Lucasfilm was TOTALLY Behind, and Committed to, Decipher's CCG....

but now that Hasbro is their corporate toadie, it's as if the Decipher game NEVER EVEN EXISTED........this appalls, and sickens me.......

what's next?, the sanctioning of the SW comics, books, and other quality items, and subsequent re-introduction under Hasbro's flawed marketing scheme???

It's time to wake up, and DEMAND to have the stuff we've voted as quality given back to us.....

that's right, Star Wars IS NOT George's......it's OURS........we're the ones who decide to spend or not to spend money on it......sure, it was his idea, but the second he decided to share it with us, was when he gave up the exclusivity of it......

tell him, and Hasbro, that we won't take it.......that we want Decipher's game, not WOTCs.......and to do that, is simply to not buy the damn cards.......

if we cripple him again, and make Hasbro take a dive (In favor of whatever remaining licensees still exist), it will send a clear message to those who hold the reins, that the change they made was the wrong one.....maybe we'll get what we want......frankly, I believe that too much is better than not enough.......as evidenced by my elation due to the GLUT of Episode 1 Merchandise......

maybe we just need to send them the right message.....

or maybe I'm just out of my damn mind.......
    I'd lean more towards the latter.

If no one bought the new card game, they'd just stop making the card game. But the fact is, there are people out there that either a) like the new stuff and buy it, or b) don't care eitherway.

I used to be a member of the fan club, but cancelled before WOTC took over, and have yet to buy an issue of the INSIDER since they took over. But other people have. I for one don't care. Whether the Fan Club is run really well or really poorly, it doesn't effect me. I only care about the movies and the action figures, and as long as those are fine, I'll spend money on them. But when I don't like them, I just won't spend my money anymore. I'm not going to demand anything, because it is not my place to demand.

BTW, if everyone stopped spending money on Star Wars, Lucas would still be a billionaire, and probably not care.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."