Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thanksgiving aka Second Best Holiday Ever!

As a runner-up to Halloween as the greatest holiday ever, Thanksgiving holds a special place in my stomach-...er, heart.

In a world where Halloween does not exist, Thanksgiving reigns supreme! I am serious when I speak of my passion for Thanksgiving. I already admitted this in one of our unofficial SSG AIM chats with a few other of our forum members. They witnessed first hand how far my love for this holiday goes.

I'm not kidding when I talk about how much Thanksgiving means to me during this point in my life. Due to my post-high school education, I'm not living at home full time and ever since I started this college thing in 2002 my love for Thanksgiving has only increased. Maybe it's seeing the family again and getting together for celebration. Or maybe it's the food.

I do love the food, though. I am sitting here typing this right now eating a terrible frozen burrito and my mouth is salivating over eating a juicy turkey and pies. I think I will stop now talking about this because I cannot take any more of this thinking about the feast of feasts.

And after I stuff my gut full of food and wash it all down with some of that Pepsi Holiday Spice (never had any, but I hope to get some to try for Thanksgiving), I will fall down onto my floor and watch movies while trying to alleviate the pressure of all that delicious food churning in my stomach. Nice image, eh?

Anyone else get this worked up for Thanksgiving? Or is it just another day where you sit down on the couch, eat a Banquet salisbury steak tv dinner, and watch lame parades and Lions/Cowboys football games.

Discuss! Make my Thanksgiving extra special by leaving a reply telling me how dumb I am for fantasizing over turkey and pumpkin pie or about how you feel the same way about Thanksgiving.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Re: Thanksgiving aka Second Best Holiday Ever!

Me love Thanksgiving too, not as much as you JBF.

I enjoy all kinds of food that day. Its like one of the 3 days a year you get to glut like a wild boar and no one cares. Then sit back and watch Dallas get there butt whipped while unbuttoning the button and kicking back. I get to go shopping for all the food in a few days. I will send you pics of the Turkey JBF.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm down with the idea of posting pics of the turkey, KH.

If you got 'em, post 'em.

And shopping for the food! How could I forget that part?! It's like the Christmas Eve of Thanksgiving.

Going to the store, picking out the best turkey, oh god...Thanksgiving rules!

As much as I like Halloween the most, I no longer participate except by carving jack-o-lanterns and occasionally giving out candy - I am the proverbial "man of no fun". As for Thanksgiving, it's gone through a whole pendulum thing, sometimes it's very nice, sometimes it's very frustrating - I have a LOT of memories of Thanksgiving though, so I guess that makes it special to me in some way (though to be fair, some of those memories involve family arguments or creepy guests or throwing up from bad stuffing). Thanksgiving lately has been a little more frustrating than usual because my sister skipped it last year and probably will again this year (although the time before, she showed up with her daughter and it was a fantastic Thanksgiving even though it was steaks and not turkey ), and my grandparents have been putting their plans on hold the past few years so they can go to my cousin's if he should so deem them worthy (my cousin usually has his 2 kids and his girlfriend's 2 kids for the holiday, and my grandma is a big fan of kids, they have 4 to our 1 ). In terms of family holiday togetherness, it seems like we have better experiences on Xmas, but the pressure of opening presents and getting my niece back to her dad's and my grandparents on their way to my cousin's becomes more stressful.

So under the right criteria, I guess Thanksgiving could be called the "best" holiday in my family, even if half my family is vegetarian and thus we generally don't do the turkey thing (not that I like turkey much anyway though ).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    . Then sit back and watch Dallas get there butt whipped
    Don't forget about Detroit.

This will not be a very good Thanksgiving for me. I won't be able to go home on leave and this will be the first Thanksgiving that I've ever missed.

Funny Thanksgiving story though my oldest brother ate so much food at the table once that he literally passed out and fell asleep at the table. You had to see it to believe it.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Slick - Where are you posted?

Turkey Day is my favorite holiday also. You have a great dinner that night, usually with your family, and at some point over that weekend, from Wed night to Sun night, you make time to see (or at least speak to) your friends.

Most busness' have become so profit driven that they've diluted down the meaning of most holidays to 'buying' and 'getting', it's nice to know that the worst they've been able to do so far to Thanksgiving is put tons of football on, and start the official X-mas shopping season the next day.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

I'm at the Naval Air Station in Oceana, Virginia about 20 minutes away from Norfolk.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I'm with JBFF on this one as i'm at school now and dinner has been one of these possible choices over the last 3 months:
    1. Peanuter butter & Jelly
    2. Bologna & Mayo sammich
    3. Pasta Roni
    4. Mac & Cheese
    5. Pizza (ordered or left over)
    6. Corndogs

I don't know if JBFF is on a meal plan, but i'm not. Thankfully, the folks i work with at the Dining Hall are kind enough to let me eat before my shift, so i have some new things in my diet from time to time. I think it's just the fact that you spend all day preparing the food, letting the sweet scent of Turkey fill the house and then you just devour it to bits. Frankly, I love the fact that you can just eat, hang with the family, watch TV and not really be concerened with anything else.

The only bad Turkey days i can remember were when we had to go to my Aunt & Uncles for it and that woman can't cook to save her life. I remember stopping at a McDonalds on the way home from Columbus getting dinner for my brother and myself. Last year was kinda iffy cos the night before we had gone out drinking (i was the DD) and i had to work at 6 the next morning so i could make dinner w/the family. well, i ended up getting drenched with rain running to the car, got home at 3:30 am and i was back on the road by 5:30 am, still somewhat out of it. After i got home at like 2:30 pm after working, i ate dinner, and took a 4 hour nap. Turned out i had bronchitis! joy! I don't think i'll be making that mistake this time around though. Just gimme some turkey w/ gravy, stuffing, tators and Deviled eggs and leave me be for an hour or two.

P.S.- I'm glad you didn't get too descriptive about your love of Turkey like you did on our last Chat, JBFF. You and LM were freakin' the rest of us out.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Guyute; 11-16-2004 at 11:48 PM.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    I don't know if JBFF is on a meal plan, but i'm not.
    I am on one. Terrible things, too. I do not know what it is, but college food and my digestive system never get along. When I am at home, I am fine in that area. Maybe it is college stress? Eating at college always messes with me. I will spare any graphic details, but hope to share them in a future AIM chat with the regular SSG chatters.

Just gimme some turkey w/ gravy, stuffing, tators and Deviled eggs and leave me be for an hour or two.
    Now you're talking! The deviled egg holds special place in our family. It used to be my favorite part of any Thanksgiving dinner, but now I look forward to turkey and dressing. Especially that homemade dressing. Used to never like it much, now I gorge myself on it. Hey, I wonder why I do not expect to live past 50, now we know.

P.S.- I'm glad you didn't get too descriptive about your love of Turkey like you did on our last Chat, JBFF. You and LM were freakin' the rest of us out.
    For that I am not sorry. Regret nothing! I exaggerated my love for the holiday, though, but I feel the depth of my love was expressed in a way that you all understood. Even though some (or was it all?) of you were a bit confused (disgusted?) by the descriptions.

Holiday Spice Pepsi is very disgusting. Let me know what you think, JBF.

I love turkey but I don't plan on having any on Thanksgiving. My employer gives out free birds to us and I think I'll just cook it up this Sunday while watching football.

I'll be glad to have off next Thursday and Friday and I really love Thursday football because I'm an NFL junkie.

I'm not in a very thankful mood this year so I'm pretty much skipping it, save for the football games.

Sorry to not share in the enthusiasm.