Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation The new action features... (SPOILERS)

As I had previously stated, the action features don't seem to be impeding on the sculpts, which is a good thing. The AOTC/SAGA figures with action features were riddled with bad sculpts, single pose-blunders and a whole host of "lack of diverse play" issues.

Having a look at the cardbacks this morning, it's nice to see that we don't have anymore buttons.

Obi-Wan Kenobi has a: "Squeeze legs together for slashing attack!" blurb. (similar to the one SAGA Count Dooku)

Mace Windu has a: "Place lightning on shoulder. Squeeze legs together to throw lightning off!" blurb.

Chewbacca has a: "Squeeze legs together - Chewbacca's head and arms move." blurb.

Emperor Palpatine has a: "Pull back lightning and launch! Insert lightning and spin!" blurb. (similar to SAGA deluxe Mace Windu)

and finally...

Artoo-Detoo has a: "Attach arm and press droid down to make arm move" blurb. The arm attaches to Artoo's dome. It doesn't look like the rockets or middle leg are retractable, but at least the rockets aren't as stupid looking as the "flying Artoo" rockets. I'm not exactly sure WHERE Artoo is supposed to store that "attack arm" but either Hasblah or Uncle George took some serious liberties with that one.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: The new action features... (SPOILERS)

As a collector I am pleased that the action features are a little less prominent. They certainly seem to have evolved, and while I might have accidentally sniffed some glue this monring, it would appear that Hasbro listened to some of the complaints from the EPII line...

As a parent I will tell you that at 8 years old the action features are a huge part of which figure makes the cut to the battle. I am continueally amazed at how the Jedi with the ability to slash are consistently on the "front lines" of the playroom floor. Just food for thought.

I'm hearing you. I haven't an issue with e action features as long as they are relevant and done without aesthetically destroying the figure. I think they did a good job with this initial batch of figures.

Hopefully they stay like this. I dont want to see anymore Lolli-pop Mace.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Like most of us here, I would prefer no action features at all. But these figures look light years ahead of the crappy episode II figures. It actually looks like the sculpting is quite well done, and the paint job seems good enough. Plus they look like they actually have some pretty good articulation that won't be hindered by the action feature. And as long as the legs can still move along with being squeezed together, then thats fine by me. Atleast they won't have huge buttons on their backs :P

All and all I think I'll be quite satisfied with my purchases come midnight madness.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartnr
    As I had previously stated, the action features don't seem to be impeding on the sculpts, which is a good thing. The AOTC/SAGA figures with action features were riddled with bad sculpts, single pose-blunders and a whole host of "lack of diverse play" issues.
    Amen... and yes, I'm happy that what we've got coming looks to be the best possible way of doing these "action features." Hasbro had said at Comic-con that we'd see them return to this line, so I'm not shocked or anything -- maybe I'm a little surprised that every figure has some sort of gimmick, but at this point I'm open to the whole idea. It all depends on how they effect the quality of the toy. If the gimmick makes the joints all loose and wobbly, then I'll be a bit miffed.

Some of the features even look fun the whole "squeeze legs together" idea always makes me laugh though.
    Quote Originally Posted by aceguide
    As a parent I will tell you that at 8 years old the action features are a huge part of which figure makes the cut to the battle. I am continueally amazed at how the Jedi with the ability to slash are consistently on the "front lines" of the playroom floor. Just food for thought.
    Well, it all depends on the quality of the figure and how well the "action feature" works, but my 7 year old tends to leave those ones in the tote when he goes to play. Right now he's sitting on the floor here in my studio playing with -- SA Clone, (newer) pilot Luke, OTC (bendy knees are nice) Greedo, an old Snowtrooper, VOTC Stormtrooper, Imp. Officer, Jango (my head comes off) Fett, Throne Room Vader (that I hate, but he likes it 'cause the helmet comes off) and that other Vader with the soft goods and the interrogation droid.

The button-handicapped figures, unless they're really special to him like Vader (he's never met a Vader that he doesn't like) just never do what they're supposed to do -- and they don't stand up well.

-----

At any rate, it'll be fun keeping writing about the new features here when those figures start showing up.
    plasticfetish.net

While I don't like action features, the leg-squeezing variety are much better than the buttons. I doubt all of them will have a feature, I doubt some of the secondary characters would have them (I think Hasbro confirmed that). Here's some other kinds of features I'd like to see:
    *Voices/sounds: Now how cool would a breathing Vader figure be?
    *Light-up: C-3PO's eyes, they've already done R2 three times and the only 3PO with lights is the one with Saga Chewie.
    *Firing missiles: Like the 2002 Clone Trooper. I think the best way to have features is to not have them at all.

Another downside to the figures of 2002 was the sabers. On Bespin Duel Vader, after whacking that pole thing with the flimsy little saber so many times the peg's gone lopsided. A lot of my sabers broke, not all due to features, but Screamin' Saber Throwin' Mace's accessory hasn't stood up so well.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Apparently the Vader (who is decked out with loads of silver paint on his chest and shoulders) also has the "squeeze m'legs" feature as well.

It appears that "leg squeezing" is the preferred method of delivering the action this time around. Oy!
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 11-23-2004 at 07:46 AM.

See, doesn't squeezing Vader's legs just sound... wrong?
    plasticfetish.net

Yeah... heh heh...

Well... the good news is that even though this is in Collection 1 (the gimmick line), Vader has a bent right slashing arm and a ball-jointed left arm, soft goods inner and outer cloak (resembling the VOTC Vader) as well as a ball-jointed head!!!!

The pics are up at GH...

Here's ONE- hoping they won't be too upset that I "stole" it... go there for the rest!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROTSV1b.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	9678  
    Last edited by JEDIpartner; 11-24-2004 at 09:02 AM.