Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trash Compactor Scene

Just want to knickpick for a moment please. In the trash compactor scene, blasters were no good due to the cell being magnetically sealed. Luke could have user his lightsaber & cut open the door.

Re: Trash Compactor Scene

I think was discussed in another forum somewhere. Others claimed Luke left the lightsaber on the Falcon. I don't think you see it anywhere hanging off his belt or anything while on the Death Star. I don't think he had it in the trash compactor.

Luke didn't know much about the use of a Lightsaber at that stage, he probably didn't know he could use it to cut open the door. Hell, us fans didn't even know he could until we saw Qui-Gon do it in The Phantom Menace .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Yeah, Luke doesn't even have his lightsaber with him while on the Death Star. Obi-Wan must not have gotten to the lesson he states to Anakin about keeping your Lightsaber with you at all times.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

i don't know that Luke every figured out that he could use the lightsaber in that manner. He doesn't use it like that on Bespin either.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax
    i don't know that Luke every figured out that he could use the lightsaber in that manner. He doesn't use it like that on Bespin either.
    What about when he used it to cut open that hatch on the underbelly of the AT-AT.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Even if he DID have it on him it probably would have fried because of the water and anyway, after being attacked by a strange thing that wanted to eat you from underneath, landing on top of all that stormtrooper garbage, and having the walls closing in, while a hysterical girl mocks you for your rescue attempt, I think he probably had other things in mind. Like those damn power converters...

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    What about when he used it to cut open that hatch on the underbelly of the AT-AT.
    He didn't actually cut a hole in the walker. He just hit a switch (or locking mechanism) that caused the hatch to slide open.

Luke's lightsaber won't short out because of water the way Obi-Wan's did in Ep 1 because between Ep 1 and 4, lightsabers got the invention of the flashback seal which prevents such problems. Just a little mention from one of the TPM reference books.

As for the door, I suspect even a lightsaber might have trouble with a magnetic seal like that, but even if Luke had been able to use his saber that way, it would probably have taken far too long to cut the door open before the garbage masher smashed them all flat - look at how long it was taking Qui-Gon to open the door on the Trade Fed battleship's bridge, and that wasn't even magnetically sealed.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    As for the door, I suspect even a lightsaber might have trouble with a magnetic seal like that
    If you go by EU I recall in Shadows of the Empire Luke and his gang ran into a similar door in Xizor's castle and they opted not to shoot it because Luke knew what good that would do so Luke whipped out his saber and cut through the magnetically sealed without a problem. But being that it's EU I myself don't consider it to hold up to the trilogy and it's goings ons.
    Last edited by Slicker; 11-21-2004 at 07:12 PM.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!