LUKE SKYWALKER: TATOOINE FARMBOY:
Custom Figure and Photo by Roberto Williams
As simplistic-looking as he may be, Kenner’s very first Vintage Luke Skywalker figure is a true classic!! Having said that, I NEEDED a more detailed, modern Luke. POTF II Luke looked more like He-Man what with his “Prince Adam” type head-sculpt and Incredible Hulk build.. Subsequent Lukes were all based on the POTF II Blast Shield Helmet Luke sculpt: This was a decent enough figure, I just never cared for the slightly “stooped shoulders” and the “dumbfounded” facial expression.
I had a lot of fun creating a neutrally-posed, richly-detailed 4 inch-scale action figure of LUKE SKYWALKER in his farmboy outfit from A New Hope! I wanted him to reflect the spirit of that heroic, farmboy who helped to rescue Princess Leia as a prisoner from the Death Star. I also wanted this figure to be LOADED with all of the accessories that would make it the ULTIMATE Tatooine Luke.
Interestingly enough, I always admired the general “look” of the Vintage Kenner 12” Tatooine Luke from 1978. I always felt that if THAT figure could be “shrunk down” to the 4” scale, that it would make a nice figure. Well, when I finished this figure, it struck me that this was EXACTLY what I had created!! Custom Luke is correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs). “I want to learn the ways of The Force and become a Jedi like my father."
1) POTJ 25th Anniversary Luke Skywalker: Swing to Freedom (Head (hollowed out for ball-jointed neck) Grappling hook and rope, com-link)
2) OTC “Vintage-style” Luke Skywalker: (Torso, Arms, Cloth Tunic, belt (chrome belt buckle added)
3) POTF II Luke Skywalker Blast Shield Helmet: (Pelvis, Legs (Surgically shortened and straightened into a neutral pose, helmet)
4) SAGA Anakin Skywalker Tatooine Attack: (Metal lightsaber hilt and blue blade)
5) POTF II Flashback Luke Skywalker: (Floppy farmer’s hat, Rifle, Macro binoculars)
6) SAGA Tie Fighter Pilot: Imperial-Issue Blaster
7) SAGA Death Star Trooper Accessory Set: Stormtrooper belt
8) EP I Tatooine Accessory Set: (Cloth poncho)
9) POTF II Comm Tech Chip Luke Skywalker: (Hand-held T-16 Skyhopper model)
10) "Chrome" plated letter on a magazine cover (Used to create Chrome belt buckle)