Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Opening Figures

Opening Figures

So, a few weeks ago I got this urge to open a few of my Lord of the Rings figures. After opening a few of them, it made me want to open some of my Star Wars figures. I've been mostly a carded collector opening mostly duplicates, and most of those are army building types.

So, I decided to start with some Episode I carded figures. I figured that would be a good place to start. With the Commtech chips and different sizes in the bubbles, those figures don't stack nicely in the boxes I stored them in. Plus, most of them aren't worth anything anyway. Thus I opened about half of them one weekend.

So, over the next couple weeks I opened a few more, mostly some duplicate Saga and OTC figures. I really like the OTC line and the figures look nice in that packaging, so I decided I would even get all of the reissued figures so that I would have the entire line carded. This also led me to get duplicates of the new figures (except for the Scanning Trooper which I have yet to find).

So that brings me to this weekend. I spent most of Saturday opening more figures. I have now opened a fair number of POTF2 and POTJ figures, and a few Saga figures as well. I'd probably open more but I'm running out of places to display them.

So that raises the following questions. Have I taken my first step into a larger world, or have I started down a dark path that will forever dominate my destiny. And why does every paragraph in this post begin with "So"?

Re: Opening Figures

Quote Originally Posted by posty333
    So that raises the following questions. Have I taken my first step into a larger world, or have I started down a dark path that will forever dominate my destiny. And why does every paragraph in this post begin with "So"?
    So do whatever makes you happy. I would say you've taken your first step into a larger world. Kidhuman will say you have started down a dark path that will forever dominate your destiny (and cause you to rot in hell, no doubt).

So why shouldn't every paragraph start with "so"?
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Fett
    So do whatever makes you happy. I would say you've taken your first step into a larger world. Kidhuman will say you have started down a dark path that will forever dominate your destiny (and cause you to rot in hell, no doubt).

I guess it comes from my time in the early to mid 90's listening to CBC Radio's "Brave New Waves" program hosted by Brent Bambury. He'd usually open the show with some short anecdote that usually began, "So..." or "So I was...". I think it kind of gives an impression I'm just resuming an ongoing conversation, and of course, since what I say is so important, you've just been waiting for me to resume.

So are there any figures you have new appreciation/repulsion for now that you changed how you collect?
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

I Would Say A Little Of Both, I Know I Like To See What They All Can Do. How To Stand Them Or What Ever. Of Course Now I Have A Dozen Vaders Now But Its All Good. But It Will Dominate You From Now On.
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STORMTROOPERS

I'm just reminded of a Sheryl Crow song, "If It Makes You Happy"

"If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad."
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I personally like opening more than keeping them carded. Yeah, they look cool carded, but I keep the cards anyway, and it's not like I can't go online and look at carded pictures of figures. It's more fun to open them and mess around with them and make dioramas than it is to look at them sitting on a wall. Also it saves a crapload of space since the bubbles are a waste.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Why're you opening them for, they're not edible.

I think you started down the dark path when you bought your first figure. That's how I look at it. I usually buy two of each though; one to open, one to keep carded. I consider the carded figures to be spares, kind of like having an in-stock replacement should something happen to the loose figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
    I personally like opening more than keeping them carded. Yeah, they look cool carded, but I keep the cards anyway, and it's not like I can't go online and look at carded pictures of figures. It's more fun to open them and mess around with them and make dioramas than it is to look at them sitting on a wall. Also it saves a crapload of space since the bubbles are a waste.
    Problem is, I've been keeping the bubbles as well, so I'm not really saving any space yet. I saved a little bit of space by separating the bubbles and storing them differently. I did throw away the bubbles for the LOTR figures I opened. Those early figures had larger packaging and took up a lot more space.

Quote Originally Posted by dindae
    So are there any figures you have new appreciation/repulsion for now that you changed how you collect?
    I'm really liking the articulation on some of these new figures. I was also suprised to see some earlier figures have a bit more than the standard. I think it was the Flashback Vader had some wrist and elbow articulation.

The figures I get disappointed in are ones that don't stand well or hold their guns/accessories well. Even worse is when the pegholes don't seem to be big enough. Battle droids are bad in this respect, and right now I am trying to get Bespin Leia to stay on her stand. Another figure I have a problem with is Mas Amedda. I think I have a defective one as he appears to have a leg length discrepancy. I started a thread about him in the POTJ area. Also, while the VOTC R2 is nice, I wish they would have made his middle leg like R3-A2 from the Hoth set.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Fett

What the heck dude?????

JUst because I collect carded, doesnt mean I think he is going to rot in hell.

Just so you know, I do plan on liberating my figures one day soon. I want to set up scenes with my figures. I just dont have the room to do it with at the present. When I get my house, and have enough room, then and only then will I open my figures. I dont want to lose any accessories, so better to keep them carded then to lose them. So, there you have it. I dont care if you open them, collect carded, pack em away, or keep them in your cupboard, it is all up to the individual.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten