Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

When Cute Becomes Dangerous: the Star Wars collector community is afflicted

In 1999 or thereabouts, another corporation made its move to ensnare its helpless consumers with another ploy to exploit their weaknesses. This time, the victims were "us."

And here came the Star Wars Buddies: the first run for little plus Beanie-Baby type Star Wars characters including Chewie, Wicket, Salacious Crumb, a Jawa, R2D2 and C-3PO, Watto, JarJar, the Wampa and whatever else you could possibly make "cute" out of the Star Wars universe. And we were suckers for it! (fess up if you collected the Star Wars buddies - I did. They're cute!)

But in 2002 Hasbro attacked again. Their Playskool Brand released the beginnings of what would later become the Galactic Heroes action figure and accessory line:

An N-1 Fighter, Darth Maul, Obi-Wan Kenobi, a Battle Droid, and Anakin Skywalker

with subsequent sets making not only Darth Maul "cute," but Chewbacca who is irresistable to most Star Wars fans, and a Millennium Falcon for him to fly in - complete with an interior with as many features as the mainline Falcon counterpart!

2003 saw the release of the Clone Wars Animated Figures - cartoon versiosn of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Durge, Asajj Ventress, Count Dooku, Clones - and more on the way! Worse yet, there's more coming and the cartoon show became a must-have on DVD (soon to be released).

Now in 2004 get set for the JediForce Again, Chewbacca is the most dangerous - one look and you'll have to have him! But they make even Darth Vader look cute, plus there's Luke X-wing and R2D2 and C-3PO for $6.99 each. When will it stop?

In the event it doesn't, are handpuppets next? Too late - a JarJar Binks one that burbs and farts was released in 1999 and when you stick a plush chubba in his mouth, he slurps and finally shuts up. Sad thing is, that while I didn't buy this, I think I might wish I had.

The Truth is - it started in 1983 with cute plush Ewoks, Ewok TV movies that are now DVD hits, and a cartoon show that spawned its own line of figures for Ewoks and Droids that we were all suckers for way back when.

So who here collects:

Star Wars Buddies?

Galactic Heroes ships and figures?

Clone Wars Animated Figures?

JediForce figures and vehicles?

Fess up, suckers! I guess I'm one of you!

Re: When Cute Becomes Dangerous: the Star Wars collector community is afflicted

You are damn right! Every ime we get one of those figures, we immediately go to the sotre and buy 'em. I think that we are "seducted" by the dark side of the market. What will come next...a Master Yoda that needs to be feed? Or a "TamaChewie"?
    [SIGNATURE]

None of the above, thanks.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

Star Wars Buddies - I got the complete TPM set through QVC, wish I had gotten around to the OTC ones. Still might, though.

Galactic Heroes ships and figures - No, there's too many, and if I started I'm afriad I couldn't stop.

Clone Wars Animated Figures - Yes, but I think these are cooler than they are cute.

JediForce figures and vehicles - I personally hate the design of the figures, I won't get any.

I bet next we'll get SW Cabbage Patch Dolls.

Dang it! SW Cabbage Patch Dolls I'd buy:

Han
    Luke
    Leia (with buns)
    Chewie
    Yoda
    ..........man - stop with the cute ideas! [Hasbro: DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!]

Seriously though: wouldn't a Gamorrean Cabbage Patch Kid be the bomb of cuteness?

I just know I'd crack and buy it. Hope plush Ewoks don't make a comeback....

Star Wars Buddies?-Just Chewie,he was so cute looking!

Galactic Heroes ships and figures?-I plan just to pick up the Darth Vader and Obi-Wan,just because I'm a fan of both characters.

Clone Wars Animated Figures?-I'm with JabbaJohn,the Animated fgures are pretty cool looking in design then cute.Especially those clones!

JediForce figures and vehicles?-I probably wont,look more deformed than cute.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Now in 2004 get set for the JediForce Again, Chewbacca is the most dangerous - one look and you'll have to have him! But they make even Darth Vader look cute, plus there's Luke X-wing and R2D2 and C-3PO for $6.99 each. When will it stop?
    What are you, kidding?!? Chewie looks awful, big smiling doofus. Only Vader looks significant IMO. The light-up lightsabers are the line's best attribute, though I haven't seen the X-wing in action or seen the Luke Endor w/ speederbike set in person.

Star Wars Buddies? - Yeah, I have all the OT ones and I bought Maul on mega-clearance, he sucked. They were different at a time when we needed something a little more fun.

Galactic Heroes ships and figures? - Unlike the crappy SD line, this line in both forms rules, fun and cute and the original was a bargain.

Clone Wars Animated Figures? - Nope, I bought Asajj on clearance simply because of the character, but it found little love in my collection compared to the "real world" version. The rest of the line lacks articulation and is too expensive for me.

JediForce figures and vehicles? - So far, I haven't been even a little tempted by this line, except possibly by Vader, though I only saw him once. The sculpt on Luke is horrid, Chewie is smiling like a doof, and some of those accessories are embarassing. R2 & 3PO might be ok, but I don't feel any draw at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    One of US?!? You are the worst one of all!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    One of US?!? You are the worst one of all!
    Hahahahahaha!

Sitting next to Tycho at the Hasbro panel thing at Comic-con, when they showed the pictures of Galactic Heroes, I think -- if I'm remembering correctly, Tycho actually gasped. OK, maybe he didn't gasp. (Was it a squeal? Hahaha!) He was excited anyway.

-----

From the lot of them, I've bought only ONE thing. I bought my son the Ewok Star Wars Buddy. (That's it.) There's a chance that I'd buy him other Star Wars Buddies, he's a sucker for plush toys, and I think the idea is funny enough.

Neither of us really care for the Galactic Heroes line. They're kind of cool, but he has tons of regular figures -- he's just too old for the GH line. (Maybe if they'd come out a few years ago, but now it's too late.) I really doubt these are made for kids anyway. They're adult collector "toy crack." Lord knows there's plenty of other impulse buy stuff (**cough, cough, Star Wars Miniatures, cough**) that I've gotten sucked into, so I don't need these.

The JediForce line has generated zero interest from my son, and honestly, I think they're lame. I don't understand why there is two different "little kid" lines going at once now. What are the age groups for all of their lines? Oh wait... it's all aimed at adult collectors isn't it?

The Clone Wars Animated Figures are decent, but I wouldn't lump them in with the rest of the "cute" stuff. They're guilty of being overpriced and boring to play with, but cool to display and luckily they end up on clearance after a while.
    plasticfetish.net

First, if you're talking about "cute," how did you leave out the Palm Talkers? I love those things. They're adorable! I'd get the ones that were only released in Japan if I could find them at a good price.

Star Wars Buddies: I've gotten a few here and there, only the ones that look really cool or that I've found on clearance: Jawa, Wicket, Padme, Qui-Gon, Watto, Maul, Jar Jar, and Chewie. I don't know how they made Yoda look so crappy.

Galactic Heroes ships and figures: Every last one of them, though I've passed on the vehicle re-issues. These things are truly, truly must-haves. I'd get anything they decide to release, even a Jira/Jocasta Nu two-pack.

Clone Wars Animated Figures: Dern tootin'! I'll get the next wave, and I hope there's more for Season 3, and that they pick up a few characters they missed (topless grinnin' Kit, Darth Sidious, and Obi-Wan in Clonetrooper armor at the top of the list).

JediForce figures and vehicles: I finally found Vader just this morning. I'm more ambivalent about this line and will probably collect it the same way that I do 12" figures or Buddies. I've easily passed on that stupid-looking Luke several times, but I'm glad I have the others.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    So who here collects:

Star Wars Buddies?

Galactic Heroes ships and figures?

Clone Wars Animated Figures?

JediForce figures and vehicles?

Star Wars Buddies Got em all, back when they were first released, including TPM line, including Jar Jar

Galactic Heroes ships and figures Yes, I have all of these too. I still haven't opened them yet, including the Falcon with the Stormtrooper. Were they called "Galactic Heroes" when they were still made by PlaySkool? The new line doesn't have the Stormie with it Hans ship, otherwise I'd probably by that Falcon.

Clone Wars Animated FiguresYes, I'm a sucka!

JediForce figures and vehiclesStarted to collect these. So Far just have the eBay exclusive X-Wing that comes with Luke and R2, and bought the Chewbacca, and 3PO with R2 from Target.

Sucker, you bet I am! Making George Lucas richer by the minute!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!