Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weekly Review: Luke Skywalker

Well I've decided to start this a day early. Two reasons, first I've had a lot of positive feedback about doing this and second I'm not out camping tonight like I thought I would be. So let's get going. Please forgive any spelling or grammar errors. This is a longer than normal post for me and my english skills decrease exponentially with the size of the post.

The first figure in our weekly discussion is Luke Skywalker , the whiny farm boy turned whiny hero. Luke was one of four figures sent out in the early bird kits in the first half of 1978. Originally he came with a yellow double telescoping lightsaber but was quickly replaced with a single telescoping version. Other variations are hair color, the most common being yellow. But a light and dark brown were also made. Luke was available from 1978 to the end of the line and can be found on most of the major types of card backs.

Trying to write a modern review for a vintage figure is like trying to learn a new language, its hard but can be done. The sculpting isnít as good as a modern figure, but it works. The thing looks close enough to Luke from the movie to be played with. The telescoping lightsaber I think was a novel solution to a difficult problem, but without the added length of the double telescope itís too short and I think ultimately fails. The fact that the saber is yellow rather than blue has never bothered me. For years Iíve thought the Lukeís lightsaber looked white in SW. I donít like the hair color, its too yellow. The light brown looks better in my opinion. I think the neck is a little too small for the head and I wish the left hand could hold an accessory better.

As a kid I never really wanted this figure very badly. There were other versions of Lukes I want more. Not that I would have complained about getting one. So as a result I never had one as a kid. A couple of my friends had the original Luke. But they wouldnít let me play with their Luke for some reason (probably the same reason I wouldnít let play with some of my toys).

This was one of the last figures I got. I picked it up off eBay in late 2000. Its loose with a broken tip (I donít care about the tips) and a yellow hair version. The arms and hips have yellow and a some paint wear on the left hand. Pretty unremarkable. I've had fleeting moments when I've thought about getting a DT version. But with so many fakes out there and this figure being so expensive, they've only been fleeting moments.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Luke Skywalker

Nice review. I don't think I could review an old figure without comparing it to the new ones or letting memories cloud my judgement...

Ah Luke Skywalker. The toy and character I didn't give a crud about until the Jedi era and beyond.

He was quite often one of the first casualties in my 3 3/4 inch war against the Empire, which was typically courtesy of Darth Vader.
    And since that lightsaber was alway the first piece to disappear, imaginary lightsabers were often used. Sometimes he was even holding a new kind of blaster in his hand.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I remember my brother coming hme with this figure. He said had a friend at school who said his dad worked for kenner and he gave him this figure. He was one of the first ones I got, with in the first ten. I had to buy him multiple times because of the wear and tear laid out upon him. I was looking at this figure last night and still have him in pretty decent shape.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I 'obtained' my vintage Luke from a neighbor. I remember he was worn with a rub mark on the chest and he didn't have the saber. I don't recall any memories of playtime with this figure. I also didn't like the fact that he couldn't hold a gun. I think I may have pretendded that the slot in his arm was a gun.

Well, I lost every one of my original single-telescoping lightsabers, so colored toothpicks tended to replace them. That was how I eliminated the yellow vs. blue issue. I have always been frustrated with the non- or poorly-constructed hands on Vintage figs. I found my brown haired Luke about a decade ago in Texas for a reasonable fee, but as a youth I only had the yellow one.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Nice review. I don't think I could review an old figure without comparing it to the new ones or letting memories cloud my judgement...
    Thanks. Its really hard not to let the modern or later vintage figure have an influent. And I know its going to get harder when it comes to figures or toys I had or really wanted as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I remember my brother coming hme with this figure. He said had a friend at school who said his dad worked for kenner and he gave him this figure. He was one of the first ones I got, with in the first ten. I had to buy him multiple times because of the wear and tear laid out upon him. I was looking at this figure last night and still have him in pretty decent shape.
    Did your brother get a DT Luke? And what on earth were you doing to your toys that they were wearing out that fast? I'm not one to speak, some SW figure didn't last the vintage era either and I know I'm younger than many of you.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    Did your brother get a DT Luke?
    Dont remember

And what on earth were you doing to your toys that they were wearing out that fast? I'm not one to speak, some SW figure didn't last the vintage era either and I know I'm younger than many of you.

Just everyday wear and tear, loose limbs, fall apart, break apart. I was 4 when I got my first one, so that says something. Plus, he had a lightsaber so he was fighting everyone.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

And what on earth were you doing to your toys that they were wearing out that fast? I'm not one to speak, some SW figure didn't last the vintage era either and I know I'm younger than many of you.
    Shoot, I went through probably at least 7 or 8 Artoo and Threepios (each). They were my absolute favorites as a kid and they saw plenty of action.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I received this fig in the early bird pack. I still have him, sans lightsaber.

As has been stated, it is difficult to "review" a figure based on our espectations from the modern line. One could spend a whole post on the yellow lightsaber...

That being said, for what it was then it was a solid figure. Had the weaponry and the costume.

I feel he has withstood aging pretty well. I still have all of the figs from that set and they are proudly at attention on a shelf out of the reach of the current 8 year-old SW fan. He, however, vastly prefers this Luke to all others. I cannot tell you why, other than he doesn't get to play with him very often.

My Luke has yellow hair with a ST saber and is in pretty good shape for it's age. I was never too impressed with the built-in lightsabers. The sabers were too short and I didn't understand what the little tips were for. I usually chewed them off. (As I look at it, the saber does have some tooth marks but a portion of the tip is still there). Bespin Luke replaced this version as my personal favorite when it was released. I really liked Luke's Bespin fatigues to his Tatooine togs; and the lightsaber as a separate accessory was fantastic.