View Poll Results: In retrospect, how do feel 2001 went for Star Wars Hasbro collecting?

Voters
406. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was one of the best years ever!

55 13.55%
  • 2001 was a vast improvement for product selection and / or distribution.

125 30.79%
  • It was OK, but the products offered really didn't excite me.

40 9.85%
  • It was OK, but distribution continued to be a problem for me.

152 37.44%
  • I was very disappointed with the product mix and / or distribution Hasbro offered.

34 8.37%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Distribution was pretty bad in 2001. For the most part the POTJ line was very good, but there were still a handful of figures I didn't care for, like the EU figs.

The fans choice poll was really good, but I don't think the fans should've had to vote for Amanaman, he should've been made regardless.

Distribution was bad in 2 ways IMO, first, stores really never got in certain waves/items. They'd get in a bunch of 1 wave, but then not get the next 2. Exclusives still suck, and $30 for a vehicle is pretty bad. But I guess everything is raising in prices nowadays. The other problem with distribution was case assortment. There should have been more cases that were predominantly troop builders. Scout, Sand, etc. Trying to make up for it by throwing 1 sandtrooper in the DSE Han wave was pathetic.

Another thing this year that I did like that isn't included on the poll was the general lack of scalpers. I know this isn't the same in every area, but where I live and visited, I saw a lot of comic stores that didn't carry SW stuff anymore, as well as comic stores that sold new POTJ for around $10. Also, at the shows I went to, SW prices defiantely seem to be lower this year than the past couple of years.

The deluxe line was nice, but their choices were poor. Amanaman himself is hardly a deluxe figure, and Shirtless Maul was a very poor resculpt. Bacta Luke was really cool and one of the best figures of the year IMO.

Next year I'd like to see the following:

A relatively small amount of AOTC figures to begin with (12-15 at most, I don't want to be bombarded with 30 figures in 1 month like last time)

More Fan's choice polls! (I personally think we should get about 6 fan's choice figures released next year)

No Exclusives

Better distribution

Less Hans, Lukes, Leias, Mauls, Anakins, etc.

Playsets, good ones, made out of plastic not paper.

More small vehicles and accesories, not just from AOTC either!

Last but not least...

AOTC to actually be a good movie, worth $8!
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

With the exeption of the Shmi wave I think the assortments and the amounts were great. I gave up looking for anything in stores and went online shopping instead. I've never had so much fun shopping before, hopping from site to site on the hunt, trying to find the best bargains and seeing who has what etc. just great. I found and bought everything I wanted and even managed to catch up with all of the stuff I'd missed previously as a bonus.

The figures seemed to be getting better in both detail and correct scale. The sculpting getting extremely precise on some of the figures. But that correct scaling threw out all the older figures somewhat. They now don't quite fit in. If this means hasbro are going to resculpt every figure to a correct scale with detailing like the figures from this year then it both sucks on a"I've payed out for no reason" level and it's great for getting movie accurate figures. But mostly everything seems to be getting so small.....

The exclusives I caved in on and pre-ordered. I only got my B-wing that way and a couple of TIE interceptors. But this is only because the distribution of product by hasbro doesn't seem to reach the UK in the normal sense of the word distribution. Retailers here have had to embrace the grey market and buy in from other countries rather than from Hasbro themselves (or, the official hasbro UK distributor). This pushed the prices up somewhat and it was only bulk buying that saved the day. Even so there are still pegs full of early waves of POTJ stuff that no-one wants. Hasbro could do themselves a favour in 2002 and get the UK distribution issue sorted. The UK does not center around London alone. Most of the people from the UK who visit here seem to be from the North of England and we all say that UK distribution sucks. Right guys?

I'm pleased that Hasbro listened and gave us this 'collector focused' year of figures. I just wish they'd continue to listen and sort out the articulation issues we've been discussing at length lately. With the episode two frenzy looming ever nearer I just hope that they really have learned from what happened with episode one toys and give us stuff we'll want, and not stuff they want us to want. Eeth Koth is a bad omen of things to come I feel though. Still, at least there's the classic vehicles to look forward to if episode two toys stink.

Tycho, I got my B-Wing and Y-Wing by trading the excess TIE Interceptors I picked up.

However, the distribution problem rests squarly on Hasbro's shoulders.

"How do you know for sure SK?" you ask.

Well, my brother-in-law runs a humble on-line business. NO he dosen't SCALP Star Wars figures. He buys direct from Hasbro.

He's the one that told me about their massive minimum order. As well as HOW he gets his orders. He got 1 lousy shipment of the Lando wave and has had a backorder on them ever since.

Unfortunatly for him Hasbro will not guarantee specific waves!!! And they reserve the right to change case assortments. Getting what you want from Hasbro is impossible!

Stores order say 16 cases, they may get them from 3 different waves or they may get the same wave/case assortment.

Back in January my old Wal-Mart got over 20 cases of the Clean Scout Trooper assorment. At the same time TRU was flooded with the Dagobah Vader Wave?

No rhyme or reason.

Thanks Hasbro.
    May the force be with you.

Wolfwood: I agree with a lot of what you are saying. With specific regards to troop builder cases, we saw it happen, but maybe the wrong ones too late: Coruscant Guards were from the prior year and we know they are switching to Crimson (Red) Guards now - so they weren't going to do too well (and it wasn't the best figure in the first place). A lot of the same story goes for the Gungan Soldier - last year's, E1 movie apathy, etc. They had the Biker Scout in the other collection, as with the Sandtrooper. The Mon Calamari wasn't doing that well (and though an army builder - I would guess people stopped at 4 or 5 of them).

Now that the Imperial Officer and Rebel Fleet Trooper have seen release, they could put them with Sandtroopers and Biker Scouts, but Hasbro won't pack cases that "cross collections" I suppose.

Shmi Skywalker and Obi-Wan in Training Gear are 2 figures that could have been Collection 1, so they could pack the Stormies into Collection 2 Army Builder Cases - OR Imps and RFT's could have been more wisely been distributed in Collection 1 to go with Hasbro's theory that C1 cases are higher demanded primary figures, while C2 are more collector based. If that is the case, than army builders should always be placed in C1 assortments. Common sense, right?

As to scalpers and comic book shops backing off Star Wars - I think they also lost money on Star Wars like Hasbro did, especially when they gambled and hoarded what did NOT turn out to be "hot inventory." All of my local scalper shops are gone in my area - except the last chain store type that can also rely on movie memorobilia and actual comic books to keep it in business.
    It's not a sign "the Force grew weaker," but it is a small favor to be thankful for - that secondary market prices have come down.

As far as Episode 2 figures, Month #1 (I assume you mean April), there appears to be 14 figures, with 4 preview figures coming the month before. There were 18 when Episode One came out at Midnight Madness, and I don't recall the next group of figures hitting until June, though it's all a fuzzy blur now (those could have been the Niemoidians or the Jedi Naboo / Maul Tatooine waves). I don't think either came out during the first month of toys for E1. But anyway, the figure line-up for Basic 3 3/4" seems to be about equal as the last time around. I don't think we'll see much of a change in the marketing with Hasbro. Maybe there will be less JarJar Tongue lypops and talking banks around town this time?

Emperor Jargo, you are right in more ways than one, for the reasons you probably said Eeth Koth looks like a bad omen for things to come. I was very disappointed about some choices Hasbro has made for Episode Two. That will become apparent to everyone soon, I'm sure.

Sith-Killer - good trades for the ships you wanted, but I hear you - it is unfortunate and a pain in the butt for you to have to go to all that effort to get stuff that should have been normally shipped to your convenient retailers.

Also SK- thanks for your insight into Hasbro's practices. I knew about their minimum order bit, but it's easy for Walmart and the big guys to fill that requirement. However, Hasbro should take responsibility for seeing to it that when orders are finally filled to their mass purchasers, they are getting items that will sell in a timely manner. They will lose their smaller customers like your brother, as by the time he gets his Lando wave cases, they will be what is pushed on him because no one else wants it. Better tell him to cancel his shipments if he still can. You are right and your brother needs to wait and hope Hasbro does straighten things out on their end.

Still, it doesn't explain why Toys R Us did get Interceptors and Walmart B-wings, and they are floor-to-ceiling in certain areas and not others. That tells me it was the retailers and not necessarily Hasbro that didn't divide their product up correctly. I'm sure there are also circumstances where Hasbro shares some of the blame for this, but ultimatley guys, we have to admit that Target and Toys R Us DO NOT CARE either. Their gross sales do not depend on Star Wars, and their attitudes reflect poorly on their general concern for their customers.

Tycho, I agree it's not ALL Hasbro's fault. Certainly NONE of the Target's or Wal-Mart's around here ordered the Exclusives they were fortunate enough to have been offered.

As for the stores not caring, you are right. Heck, I went to TRU a couple of months ago (when the Palm Talkers hit) and asked one of the stockers if they had the new wave.

"Huh, no they stopped making Star Wars figures about 6 months ago."

My jaw LITERALLY dropped!!! But it gets worse. I told him that Hasbro has been putting out waves of 3-4 figures a month pretty regularly, they never stopped.

Then he says, "Oh, well I collect Star Wars, and this is the only place I get them. I guess I should start checking the other stores."

So I asked the guy, "Don't you look on the internet, haven't you ever seen sirstevesguide.com?"

Then he tells me, "I don't have a computer."

Amazed, dumbfounded and confused I slowly walked away. Just another collector gone bad.

Oh, sure, there are a few collectors and nice guys working at the stores who are willing to help you out. You know...the guy that actually goes in the back and comes out with a fresh case...despite the fact that there are still too many peg warmers clogging the shelves. But these guys are few and far between.
    May the force be with you.

Angry as we are about to enter our third year of no micro machines product

it's hard for me to vote any other way than to say that i am truely disapointed with hasbro completely
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

Sith Killer, you bring up another interesting point: the retail stockers...

Many of us here are fortunate enough to live at a standard where we can afford (or barely get by) with the cash required for collecting. Many of us are doing alright if we have the funds for a computer to get online to check SirSteve's pages out and do other business. But some people here don't have a computer, others actually reading this log on at an internet cafe, or from school or work. Some don't know about deals from AOL and Intell or whoever, to get the latest computer for $300 and others are afraid of the ten-year commitment they might require for their internet provider service. (I'm exaggerating, but I sure didn't want to go that route).

But as you go on, there are people who have not had the benefits of being in school when the computer revolution hit: they are older or they dropped out. They have to work to survive. Some retail stockers fit this description, others are high school or college kids, the children of stock brokers and plastic surgeons. However, if you had to support yourself on the low wages a store like Target or Toys R Us pays - and being you I assume you still love Star Wars - if you could skip a hamburger-happy-meal or whatever one day, you'd have $7.00 or so to pick up a figure. Furthermore, with clearance prices there would be times when the deal would only cost you $2.98. Finally, if you were collecting at full retail price, without internet access, instead of paying 35 (figures) x $7.32 for the whopping minimum of $256.20 we spent (and I didn't even price the deluxe figures correctly - it's just an example) you'd see what maybe 10 of those figures pegwarm in your store over the course of a year? So you'd spend less than $80 on your collection, or skip lunch 16 days out of the whole year to pick up ALL you thought was released. It's not half as involved as most of us that have to check the web, run to other stores that carry Star Wars, comparison shop, and compete with other collectors and the scalpers. So collecting is still possible, simple, and attractive to you (even with no knowledge about 'collecting,' but just with liking Star Wars).

As to their ignorance? They are working - with a lot more on their mind than Star Wars - even if they do collect it. All of you should know better than to believe even toy store managers who are about as uninformed or disinterested in Star Wars as the stockers. Come here to SSG or go to the official site, or Hasbro's site or as a last resort, call customer service at Hasbro. I never have because I never doubted the license. Hasbro might have made its share of mistakes while wielding this license, but they are not going to lose any of their major buyers - especially when big companies offer sales in collusion - meaning that if K-mart wants Hasbro's Tonka Toys for kids, they have to buy Star Wars with the deal anyway - just like they have to spend some ridiculous minimal amount to keep an account with the toy giant.

Meanwhile, I feel we're deep into a tangent talking about retail stockers' per capita income and education - the fact is it greatly varies. A retired CEO could be doing the job just to stay active - and still be ignorant of Star Wars or intelligent purchasing / stocking practices (heck - maybe that's why they're retired). But this conversation sprang out of DISTRIBUTION PROBLEMS and people adding in should still remember to say what country or city they live in, so we can see if it is a retailer or Hasbro to blame for their particular problem (for example if you live in San Diego - distribution has been great - and if you didn't get all your figures - it's because I beat you to the stores personally ; )

But GOOD SHOT JANSEN - and others complaining even beyond product distribution, might want to chime in about product choices and / or quality - or whatever else is troubling you. 2 things are happening - you are upset with the situation, but something is keeping you collecting (or that's why I assume you're here). Tell us about it.

Tycho made a good point about not seeing Jar Jar lypops this time around. The amount of products out there with the E1 logo on it in May '99 was astounding.

Toothpaste
    Candy
    Inflatable chairs
    party favors
    towels
    blankets
    etc. etc. etc.

I think that's what help kill the demand, all the crap out there with the E1 logo on it. It was absurd.

I think your right about the release of the figures too. It was about 14 originally, then the second wave hit in June. Still, 14 figures in one release is a lot.

Although I never collected the Micro Machines, it is sad to see them go from a collector's p.o.v. But on a business p.o.v. I see why Hasbro dumped the line. I still see E1 MM stuff at K-Mart in the way back of the toy section, the barren wasteland that is the discount aisle.

The upcoming Fan Club troop builder pack is nice, but if it is indeed coming out 4th quarter 2002, that may be too late. Its nice to see Hasbro trying to make collectors happy, but then they push it way back towards the end of the year. You just can't win.

I have a feeling, if stores order a substantial quantity of E2 stuff, and it sits on the shelves, the Star Wars line won't be around 4th quarter of 2002.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Originally posted by Tycho
    But GOOD SHOT JANSEN - and others complaining even beyond product distribution, might want to chime in about product choices and / or quality - or whatever else is troubling you. 2 things are happening - you are upset with the situation, but something is keeping you collecting (or that's why I assume you're here). Tell us about it.
    when hasbro took over galoob in 1998, at 1st it didn't seem so bad, new product was being released in conjunction with ep.I release, and more importantly, the galoob buzz board was going to be left intact at galoob's web site. the fine product lines which galoob manufactured for the star wars realm (action fleet micro machines, die-cast, and x-rays), were not the only things that had attracted me to collecting micro machines, it was also the comraderie with other micro machine collectors at the buzz board, galoob's company run bulletin board that was so much fun to post to! alot of the regular posters here at ssg in the micro machines section, had all originally posted over at the buzz board. (by the way, our own jedi tricks was a regular poster for years over at the buzz)

anyway, by december of 99, hasbro announced that it was closing the buzz board down for good (again, all us ex buzz boarders who are now here, are in fact really in the diaspora), and by spring of 2000, it became crystal clear that hasbro was not going to produce any of the previously announced action fleet or micro machines, and that the line was probably not even going to be revived in conjunction with episode II. it wasn't until summer of 2001 where hasbro indicated that they were looking at the micro machines line, and maybe they might revive it (only with regards to the action fleet line though)

what keeps us collecting? the superior design and playability of the line. as i have posted many times in the past, my son, who is now 7, only plays with the micro machines lines (action fleet, die-cast, micro machines, etc), due to their size and ease of transporting for trips and such. any potwhatever toys that he has gotten always remain on the shelves cause he says that they are just too big to play with (he does play with the potf at-at somewhat regularly, mainly cause it's in the proper scale size with the action fleet snowspeeder!).

also, nothing irks my chain more, than seeing these now tough to get mm's being auctioned for ridiculous amount of money on ebay by unscrupulous scalper scum . down in the micro machines section, we pride ourselves on helping all who post there in the quest of obtaining hard to find mm's without having to resort to scalpers

and until hasbro see's the light and starts producing mm's again, this never ending battle against scalpers will unfortunately continue
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

Not happy with the characters selection

Okay...I have to say that everyone I knew that collected Star Wars has stopped except for me. But I'm getting to the point where I kinda don't want to collect myself. I wish for Hasbro to make more droids and alien life forms. Enough with the same characters. I already got like 6 different Lukes! I want to see more Beast Assornaments. More wild life. How about more Pod-Racers??? I'm glad that HAsbro is making more ewoks and the R4 [I think it is]. That's what I want to see more of. Oh...and STOP with the exclusives already!!!! Every time I call TRU or Target...they always say, "I don't know anything about exclusives". Wuz up with that? One last thing...are you guys ever going to do anything with the "Jedi Master Points"? I've collected so many and are about to throw them all away. What are they for?