Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best/worst movies of 2004

It's that time of year agian when all the best and worst of the year lists start coming out, so I thought I'd start one for us.

There are a handful I have yet to see (Closer, Ocean's Twelve, Meet The Fockers, Man of Fire, and a few others), so my lists could change.

Your 10 favorite movies of 2004?

Mine:
    10. The Bourne Supremacy - Worthy sequel to The Bourne Identity. Matt Damon further proves he can be an action star.
    9. Anchorman - Will Ferrell elivers yet again. Perhaps funnier in this one than he was in Old School.
    8. Fahrenheight 9/11 - Michael Moore does a great job at showing how inept Bush is (no matter how biased the film is at times).
    7. Collateral - Tom Cruise in on a roll in my book. I was never much of a fan until The Last Samurai and now this. Jaime Foxx was also surprisingly good.
    6. Napolean Dynamite - This may be a bit high on the list, due to it's freshness in my mind, but this feels to be a highly quoteable instant cult classic.
    5. Miracle - Hocket rarely works this well on any screen, big or small. Good to see one of the United State's greatest sports moments immortalized on the big screen.
    4. Spider-man 2 - This one was a shocker for me, since I really don't like the first one. It had a great story, better villian, and better effects. There are few better made superhero/comic book movies.
    3. The Incredibles - Wow. Pixar really outdid themsleves with this one. Not much else to say.
    2. The Punisher - A movie I waited years for. While many people really didn't like it, there was no doubt in my mind that this was the best Punisher movie that could've been made. Great throwback to the 70s/80s Charles Bronson type of action flick highlighted by the perfect casting of Tom Jane as Frank Castle. He embodied everything Frank should be.
    1. Garden State - Easily my favorite of the year. Zach Braff shows an amazing ability as a writer, director, and actor. Natalie Portman really shines in probably her best performance since Leon: The Professional.

Your worst movies of the year?

In no particular order:
    Along Came Polly - Along Came Poopy. Ben Stiller is either really good (Meet The Parents) or really bad (as in this one).
    Club Dread - How did the guys that made Super Troopers make this 90 minute nightmare?
    The Forgotten - I wish I could. Like a really bad episode of the X-Files.
    Saw - I wish I hadn't. Bad story and acting was worse - high school acting bad.
    Van Helsing - This year's Underworld (AKA Biggest disppointment of the year). So much potential and it was boring boring boring.

(Box Office Mojo has a list of the top 150 grossing movies of the year if you are not sure if a certain movie came out this year or not.)
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Re: Best/worst movies of 2004

Best 10:
    1. Spider-Man 2
    2. Hellboy
    3. The Punisher
    4. The Village
    5. Shaun of the Dead
    6. Harry Potter and the Prisnor of Azkaban
    7. Alien Vs. Predator
    8. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    9. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    10. Paparazzi

Worst 10:
    1. Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow
    2. Catwoman
    3. Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events
    4. Team America: World Police
    5. The Forgotten
    6. Godsend
    7. Passion of the Christ
    8. Fahrenheit 9/11
    9. The Grudge
    10. Van Helsing

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 12-23-2004 at 12:19 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I am a little bit behind the curve on 2004's films, so my list will be short.

Best

1. Spider-man 2 - Who would have thought they could top the original, but they did. I am sooo looking forward to the 3rd installment! My only complaint was the fact that just about EVERYONE saw Spidy without his mask.
    2. The Bourne Supremacy - Not quite as good as the original, but a blockbust none the less.
    3. Dawn of the Dead - Not as good as the original, but an excellent and fairly original remake. Ving shines in this film!
    4. Hellboy - SK99 says keep 'em coming, I love Hollywoods acceptance of Comic based films, even if we do end up with a few turkey's like Daredevil.
    5. Fahrenhype 9/11 - This film does and excellent job of exposing the lies MM put forth in his mockumentary. Going so far as to interview Moore's "victims" from Fahrenheit 9/11 and their anger about how they were misrepresented in his film.
    6. Alien vs. Predator - A good take on the whole idea, great work by Lance Hendrickson!

Worst

1. Fahrenheit 9/11 - Moore shows little more than how easily the mindless masses are willing to blindly follow is crafted lies and BS, all to no avail.
    2. The Passion of the Christ - A 2+ hour film about the crucifiction, this thing was a little too long and drawn out for my taste. I failed to connect with the film.
    3. Godsend - Another long and drawn out film that ended, well...you get the idea! WTF?!?!
    4. VanHelsing - The bad film I loved. Yes I admit it, this thing was bad, the effects looked like stock replays from LXG, the story was kinda weak and it had a tendancy to bash you over the head with the awesome power of "Dracula", but in the end, I sorta enjoyed it...as bad as it was.

So there you have it, SK99's best and worst list, for now.
    May the force be with you.

In no particular order:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - This one blew the first two away, and it rocked! Even with all the cuts it still is my favorite HP movie so far.
    Napoleon Dynamite - Sweet! This is the funniest movie I've ever seen!
    Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Both of these were great, but only ths one came out in 2004.
    Spider-Man 2 - This one was awesome, I really enjoyed it.
    Dodgeball - I also thought this was really funny.
    Hellboy - I thought it would be crap but it turned out quite well.
    The Incredibles - Another great for Pixar! I loved it.

I didn't see a whole lot of bad movies this year, but I, Robot is the worst. The story sucked, almost as badly as the book (even though they were completely different!). The acting did too, mostly that lady. The effects were ok but they seemed overused.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Are you counting Hero as a 2004 release, since it was made about a gazillion years ago and only showed up here this year?

Incredibles is the best film of the year by a long shot, and given that there were gems like Spidey 2 and Punisher, that's saying quite a bit.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

My Bebst of 2004: (no particular order)

1. Napolean Dynomite
    2. Spider Man 2
    3. Dawn of the Dead
    4. Garden State
    5. Meet the Fockeres
    6. The Life Aquatic
    7. The Buterfly Effect
    8. Shriek 2
    9.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    10. Anchorman

Worst

1. Forgotten
    2. Saw
    3. Along Came Polly
    4. What the F*$& do We Know?
    5. Fahrenheit 9/11
    6. Van Helsing
    7. Alexander
    8. Christmas with the Kranks
    9. Surviving Christmas
    "What the duce?" -- Stewie

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Incredibles is the best film of the year by a long shot, and given that there were gems like Spidey 2 and Punisher, that's saying quite a bit.
    Damn Chuxie! We're on the same wavelength here. I pick Incredibles as the no-doubt-kick-A movie of the year. The most enjoyable time I've had at the flickers since ROTK.

For worst I'd toss it up between AVP and HP3. Both had great potential but tragically fell short due to crappy writing and directing.

<<dodges tons of rotten eggs>>
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I agree on AVP. It was my 2nd biggest diappointment of the year.
    Just bad all around.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

In no particular order, i enjoyed:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Shrek 2, I Robot, Collateral, Hellboy, Spiderman 2, and the Punisher.

Movies that i felt sucked in no particular order:

AVP and Dawn of the Dead. I try to avoid ones that i think will suck, hence the small amount of poopers i have listed.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

I've only been to the theater 3 times this year. I am protesting product advertisements that run after the listed start times. I have better things to do than show up 30 minutes early to get a decent seat then have to sit through another 15 minutes of BS.

If AvP was one of the best movies released, I suppose I didn't miss much.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car