Thread: Christmas Rant

Christmas Rant

It all started..

A few years ago, around this time of year, Im driving home from work and see the most awesome lit up ball of color on this guys front doorstep.
    I was amazed at this thing. It was beautiful. It had so many flashing lights, it seemed like a glowing orb in the snow.

That was the only one I had ever seen. No one else had one. This was surely a work of art. One of a kind.

I moved to a new job that next year, so taking that path was no longer an option for me. I did however manage throughout the years to take that path when headed out for the evening - To make sure I got to see this light.

This year, something unexpected happened. I saw another. This time it was close. Up just a few blocks from me. WOW. It again was just brillant. Just as I had seen in the past, it was full of life.

I knew what must be done. I had to ask. I had to seek out the way. I wanted to have one for my very own.

I drove up the block to the house. I parked and walked up to it. I knocked on the door to find the artist, but no one answered. The light was there though. I was close. I touched. I saw its secret.

I rushed home to mark out my plans. It was only a matter of time before I had one. My very own.

I grabbed the needed materials and got to work. It took time. Time I knew I didnt have. Christmas was drawing near, and soon it would not matter.

I started to build, I was nervous, things werent right. The light was too big. It wouldnt work. The materials were all wrong, blurry. I cant see the lights.
    Damn.

I start again. This time,. fresh materials in hand. The right ones. I worked to get this light together quickly. I had experience now and knew what to do.

I had it. It was done. I plugged it in. awesome. OMG. awesome.

I ran to hang it up outside. I wanted it to be seen by everyone. I wanted to show it off tonight!

I hang it on a hook that was already there from the previous owners.. and run the cord to another hook..

The hook gave. The light dropped. It smashed into 50 pieces.

Merry Christmas.

Im okie.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Salsa Shark.. I think were gonna need a bigger boat..[/FONT]

Re: Christmas Rant

If thats true, than it bites dude. I would have been ****ed to know end.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

So what does this light thing look like?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Yep. truth.

I had to shrug it off. My first thought - seriously. was Man, I hope nobody was video taping this. It was a classic for that home video show.

My sister in law actually did see the whole thing happen. She was laughing.

Its actually quite the simple craft. 50 chaser lights and 50 clear plastic tumbler cups. You make a ball out of the cups. the lights are inside the ball poking out through the bottoms of the cups. Its quite cool. especially from a distance. It really does look like a glowing orb of color.

so, thats one more reason Im not too upset over it. Just cups. no biggie. All I lost was time.

Ill redo it. not anytime soon, but maybe when I have some wire to make it sturdy. Ill snap a photo.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Salsa Shark.. I think were gonna need a bigger boat..[/FONT]

Sounds really neat. Any pictures online?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

My parents had one of those when I was younger. It was pretty neat. They probably bought it at a store, but I havent seen one since I was like 6.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

Awesome,sorry to hear about the orb of light.Would have looked pretty interesting hanging from a tree I tried doing that with thin wire one year,worked out okay but it gets way too bendy even with lights attached.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

IIRC right, the one my parents had was a styrofoam ball. It had lights in little cup like things, somewhere between 50 and 100 of them.

I couldnt find any pictures on-line. I couldnt really find too much at all.

A buddy I work with told me he has a neighbor who is trying to sell them for about $40 a shot. Um, yeah. Ill make another one thanks.

It was actually funny as hell - to see how it all panned out. I was a bit bummed, but not too much. way to much going on to get po'd at a bunch of broken cups.

Ill snap some pics when I get a new one built. It wont be anytime soon. but it will indeed happen.

Next time you make one and are ready to hang it, hold it above your head and pretend your Boss Nass and yell "Peace!".
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars