War of the Worlds

This is a movie Ive been hoping they would remake for along time..

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/waroftheworlds/

Re: War of the Worlds

Yeah, but it's done in modern times. This is a movie that was itching to be remade but done so during the last turn of the century, not this one.

Heck we've been to Mars several times now and have used other earth based technologies to study the planet closely for a for a while now. Now we're to believe that such a planet will launch an attack on us? Please....

If the movie had taken place during the 1910's for example the "modern" technology abound and low knowledge of space and of our neighboring planets would "permit" such an attack as being plausible. That is what made the original movie successful, even at that time there was a huge amount of ignorance of space/planets as we had only begun our exploration so a modern setting then worked.

I hope this is a good movie but the premise is already disappointing. I'm not always a fan of movie remakes but I do enjoy them when they understand the movie genre and actually improve the movie. When you're remaking a movie you aren't altering the story (even if you are altering the dialog) so the director has to improve the mood or scope of the film. WotW is a movie that worked since it dealt with the our lack of knowledge of the space that surrounds us AND our assumption that our newly found atomic power would save us from any/all foes.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    Yeah, but it's done in modern times. This is a movie that was itching to be remade but done so during the last turn of the century, not this one.
    Agreed. It'd be like making a remake of SPACE 1999 right now and calling it SPACE 1999. The fact is that War of the Worlds has already been redone. They called it Independence Day.

A few scenes were shot in Athens NY, only about 30 minutes from where I live and one of my friends actually sneaked onto the set and got a few pics. Looks cool.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I still wanna see a remake hopefuly with giant 3 legged walking machines and anyway maybe there hiding in the Martian Face or maybe even the big funny face besides I was reading that nasa said something has been cleaning the dust off of one of the rovers maybe its them hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    The fact is that War of the Worlds has already been redone. They called it Independence Day.
    Ugh, I'm afraid that this class will be nothing more than an ID Part 2.

I hear with this version of War of the Worlds that the Spielberg has the aliens attacking us with Walkie Talkie's.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I saw the trailer during the Super Bowl and while I'm not much of a Tom Cruise fan, I'll still see it.

Very good points about the mystery of Mars being outdated. But even if this is ID4part2 I think it's still worth a viewing, might be fun.

That shot of the bridge being destroyed was a bit creepy.