View Poll Results: Did Obi-Wan Lie to Luke about Anakin/Vader?

Voters
407. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, Obi-Wan was not lying.

288 70.76%
  • Yes, Obi-Wan was lying.

119 29.24%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Was Obi-Wan Lying to Luke about Anakin/Vader?

In the classic trilogy, Obi-Wan Kenobi told young Luke Skywalker that the boy's father was a pupil of Kenobi's and was betrayed and murdered by another pupil named Darth Vader. Later in the trilogy, Jedi Master Yoda while teaching Luke the ways of the Force made references to that same point, yet as we later learn in that same film Darth Vader actually is Anakin Skywalker, Luke's father.

In the final film, Luke confronts Obi-Wan's spirit on this issue and Kenobi tells Luke in a now-infamous quote is that what he told him Vader destroying Anakin was true... "from a certain point of view".

This has been a long-debated issue among Star Wars fans, was Obi-Wan lying in A New Hope when he told Luke that Anakin was killed by Vader, or was old Ben not lying and simply being cryptic? Putting aside any justification issue about possibly protecting Luke from a horrible and devastating truth, vote now and share YOUR certain point of view!

Re: Did Obi-Wan Lie to Luke about Anakin/Vader?

I never thought that Ben was lying at all to Luke. I saw it as being the biggest lesson you could ever have in viewing things from both sides as Jedi are supposed to do. I don't think it was meant for Luke to figure out on his own but was more to teach him to think more about situations.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Obi-Wan was indeed technically lieing to Luke at the time. Hence how uncomforatble he is when he's discussing what happened. But the lie is more from twisting the truth to protect Luke, than outright lieing to his face. Obi-Wan needed Luke who was considered the 'New Hope', and knew that there was no way that Luke Whinestalker was going to follow him had he told him the blunt truth at the time. Luke needed to grow up some, and prepare for the truth before it could safely be revealed to him. I rather doubt that Luke would have chosen to follow the same man who failed to properly train his father, which allowed him to be corrupted by the dark side.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I pretty much agree with JJB there, that Ben was technically lying, but that it was a necessary lie at the time. I think it is entirely possible for someone to have a life changing moment (it may happen VERY RARELY though). I do disagree with JJB about Obi failing to properly train Ani. I again think that that is Obi's own unique point of view, and shows the depth of how he cared for Ani, placing blame upon himself even though as Leia says to Luke in ANH "He has to choose his own path".
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

No he wasnt. If you omit things, its not lying, its misleading. There lies the difference.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Re: Was Obi-Wan Lying to Luke about Anakin/Vader?

Why this was ever a question boggles the mind. Old Ben wasn't "technically" lying or anything else underhanded. He told Luke the truth as he saw it: that the good man who was Anakin was killed by a bad man named Darth Vader. Now Ben did leave out that those two personalities happened to inhabit the same body, but as far as he (Ben) was concerned, it didn't matter. Anakin was dead and wasn't coming back. Proof of this? He adamently maintains this belief throughout the trilogy, even when he goes into greater detail with Luke in ROTJ. Even when Luke continued to believe that "there is still good in him," Ben resisted insisting that no, Anakin was dead forever.

So an emphatic no. Ben never lied to Luke and there is no proof nor reason to suspect that he did.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    No he wasnt. If you omit things, its not lying, its misleading. There lies the difference.
    Omiting a fact and saying that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker a pretty big differences. But then whether it's a lie or not is based upon our own "points of view."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

He told him the truth from that point of view, but like STilla said, he left out the fact that his Dad was a bi-polar mess.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    He told him the truth from that point of view, but like STilla said, he left out the fact that his Dad was a bi-polar mess.
    Heck, I was even ignoring the Expanded Universe episodes that George is calling the Prequel trilogy. But geesh, if we include what happened in there, then yeah, Ben lied through his teeth. Not only did he not find Anakin, decide to train him, and fail, but Anakin never was a good man. Squeeky clean kid, but never a good man.

It's best not to go there for the sake of the poll question.

Obi-Wan never claims to find Anakin. He says "When I first knew him...". He also never once said he decided to train Anakin. He says "I took it upon myself...", as if it was some sort of quest or burden. So everything Obi-Wan says is pretty much double talk to avoid telling the full truth. And wether or not he's a good man is also open to interpretation. Every man has faults, but until he fell to the Dark Side he could have been considered a 'Good Man', at least by comparison.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks