Luke and the X-Wing.

Was it is? Was it always on loan from the Alliance? He just galavanted all over the Galaxy in it, doing what he pleased. Did he use a Jedi Mind trick to get it? Did he pay cash? DId he steal it?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Re: Luke and the X-Wing.

As a commander in the Rebel alliance, it was as much "his" as anybody's, but they didn't know he was going to run off with it in ESB, and by ROTJ I think they realized how important it was to let him do his own thing since they gave him another one (his was left on Bespin or taken by the Imperials there at that time).

Or maybe there's a registration for an Incom T65 X-wing Fighter in the computers on Coruscant with the name "Bail Organa" on it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It could be like in the military where you have a fighter assigned to you and that's the one that you fly. Obviously you can't take it on pleasure flights and all but we don't have any Luke Skywalker's in the military......unfortunately.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I assumed it was given to him, like when a corporation gives a big employee a car.

Or maybe that was part of his reward for blowing the Death Star.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Jeez I never thought about that. Good point

Also it never occured to me that he leaves his ESB X-wing on Cloud city.

Yeah I would think that the alliance would need all the starfighters on hand that it can get given the amount of TIEs the empire has. Surely it can't afford to be lending them to anyone on a permanent/semi-permanent basis.

Well, how would he go back for it? The city is taken over by the Imperials (even though they may have left at the end of ESB, it remains unclear, Lando calls for an evacuation because of this but we do see Vader and some of his men leaving) and Luke is aboard the Falcon halfway across the galaxy by the end of the film. I wonder if the X-wing in ROTJ has the same Red-5 markings as the ANH ship, I never thought to look. I suspect it does.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Maybe Han refunded his money that he got from selling his speeder since Han got all that loot? Luke did say "We could almost buy our ship for that" and saving Leia could've gotten him a discount.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"