Page 69 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
    I'm still short about 5 figures from my vintage collection (not counting variants like plastic-caped Jawa): Imperial Dignitary, EV-9D9, Romba, Yak Face, & Imperial Gunner. This is thanks mostly to my parents deciding "Star Wars isn't popular anymore - you can't buy them anymore" after the final group had been out for a few months. I had seen every one of them (aside from Yak) in KB, and amazingly managed to finagle a purchase of Amanaman, whom I thought looked really cool, and was extremely lucky to find my Holy Grail of the vintage figs, Han in Carbonite, at TRU a few months earlier.

About 9 years ago, I spent about $250 to get Stormtrooper Luke and Blue Snaggletooth at a comic shop, and found new lightsabers to replace the ones I'd lost for Bespin and Jedi Luke. I actually did find a loose Yak Face at a different comic shop back in the late 90's, but being in college, $350 for a figure simply wasn't happening.

Considering the prices for these vintage figs, even loose, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never obtain these "final 5," because at this point, while I wish I could say that I had the whole vintage set (a claim I was able to make about 4 times in the 80's until that last group came out), it just isn't worth it anymore. (Besides which, since ebay went to paypal only, and the few comic shops left aren't swimming in overpriced vintage SW merchandise like they were 12-15 years ago, my options to buy them are practically nil anyway)
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl VayDar View Post
    The guy I bought the Snowtrooper from had a pretty sharp Biker Scout for about $30, but I had already spent my "fun money" so I passed for now...
    Unfortunately, the problem with vintage is that, if you pass something up, there is no guarantee that you will ever see it again later on. Sometimes it's better just to jump on a good deal when you have the opportunity. I'm pretty sure that there are other crisp, white Biker Scout's out there, but you may be in for months of frustrated searching just to find one again.

Quote Originally Posted by tagmac View Post
    I'm still short about 5 figures from my vintage collection (not counting variants like plastic-caped Jawa): Imperial Dignitary, EV-9D9, Romba, Yak Face, & Imperial Gunner. This is thanks mostly to my parents deciding "Star Wars isn't popular anymore - you can't buy them anymore" after the final group had been out for a few months. I had seen every one of them (aside from Yak) in KB, and amazingly managed to finagle a purchase of Amanaman, whom I thought looked really cool, and was extremely lucky to find my Holy Grail of the vintage figs, Han in Carbonite, at TRU a few months earlier.

About 9 years ago, I spent about $250 to get Stormtrooper Luke and Blue Snaggletooth at a comic shop, and found new lightsabers to replace the ones I'd lost for Bespin and Jedi Luke. I actually did find a loose Yak Face at a different comic shop back in the late 90's, but being in college, $350 for a figure simply wasn't happening.

Considering the prices for these vintage figs, even loose, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never obtain these "final 5," because at this point, while I wish I could say that I had the whole vintage set (a claim I was able to make about 4 times in the 80's until that last group came out), it just isn't worth it anymore. (Besides which, since ebay went to paypal only, and the few comic shops left aren't swimming in overpriced vintage SW merchandise like they were 12-15 years ago, my options to buy them are practically nil anyway)
    I got a really great deal on a vintage Yak Face, Han Carbonite and EV-9D9 from a guy on Rebelscum. There is actually no reason that you can't get ahold of a loose Yak Face for $90 these days.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I would think you'd be able to get Romba pretty cheap. He's a background character and an Ewok. Unless something has changed Ewoks aren't really that popular. And by pretty cheap I mean pretty cheap for POTF.

As for the others, the Imperial Gunner would be the next cheapest I'd guess. EV-9D9 and the Imperial Dignitary can be hard to find in good condition and which demeans a premium. And Yak Face, it's all about perceived rarity. But every now and then a good deal may come a long, so it pays to keep your eyes open.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Hey tagmac, I just want you to know that Romba and the Imperial Dignitary are very possible to find. A couple of years ago, I decided to really focus in on Ewoks (also droids but that's another post). I decided that I would pursue some of the vintage Ewok merchandise that I had always wanted, including the two POTF Ewoks, the Ewok accessories (hang glider, catapult, etc.), and stuff from the Ewoks cartoon. I managed to pick up Romba, the cartoon Logray, and the hang glider at very satisfactory prices on ebay. Now, the Romba I got was without his cowl or spear, and Logray did not have his staff. I'm still looking for those. (It seems like you can always find the coins.) Last year, I also snagged the Imperial Dignitary. It was a little more expensive, but it definitely didn't break the bank. So I would just say, keep your eyes open because these figures are still out there!

Now... off to ebay to look for Warok! hehe
    "Is that the Six Million Dollar Man's boss?"

Anyways, my Jabba the Hutt playset arrived and it looks great. I think this is a nicer set than the one I had before, or maybe it just seems that way since this one has no broken parts that have been hastily glued back together before shipment.

Just ordered new TIE Pilot and AT-AT Driver figures.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Coming down to the wire

I just got a good deal on the 3 legged R2D2 droid factory figure and now only have 11 figures to go to complete my collection. Of course they are all POTF figures but that is the way I planned it.

I have spent the last 3 years tracking down the figures and will feel kind of sad when it is all done. But really REALLY relieved. I did get a Yak Face at a really good price but the ones I am worried about now are the Blue Snaggle Tooth, Luke Stormtrooper, Amanaman, and R2 pop up saber. The rest seem to be reasonable but those 4 seem to stay kind of pricey.

Is anyone else thinking that the release of the new vintage line in this fall might raise up the prices on original figures out there???
    "Not again, Obi Wan is going to kill me."

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Marble View Post
    Is anyone else thinking that the release of the new vintage line in this fall might raise up the prices on original figures out there???
    I'd be more likely to say the opposite, as people can get the similar figs "newer" and cheaper. But it might raise the interest in buying the oldies (and therefore mainly scalpers' prices) a little.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Blue Snaggletooth

I finally got a blue snaggletooth to add to my collection. This one and Yak Face mark 2 figures I thought I would never get because of the insane prices they command. It is really strange to only have 11 figures to go, never thought I would be crazy enough to try and make it through the vintage collection.
    "Not again, Obi Wan is going to kill me."

Ordered a MOC Sand Skimmer the other day. I've never actually owned any of the POTF body rigs before, so this should be kind of cool. Especially since all the artwork shows Barada riding the "vehicle" so it will be a nice way to fill out my Barada focus collection.

Although it was actually a consolation purchase since I lost out on an auction for a loose Tatooine Skiff earlier that day. It was probably the cheapest that I've ever seen one of those Skiff toys go for ($177) but still out of my price range right at this moment.

I'm currently keeping my eyes peeled for a MOC Tri-Logo Barada.

Well, I've been slowly plugging away at my vintage collection again. These giant gaps in releases from Hasbro always do this to me.

Recently received:
    POTF Sand Skimmer
    Tri-Logo MOC Barada (with clipper catalog on the back)
    ROTJ MOC Gamorrean Guard (it's hard to find these without yellowed bubbles, but I got a decent one)

Aside from two loose AT-ST Drivers, I don't have too much else on the way, in terms of vintage figures that is.