Page 47 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    But mad props to you on your finds lately!
    Thanks, I think the vintage POTF line is the reason I'm still collecting to this day. Those 13 new figures on the back of the 92-back card were the great "ones that got away" when I was a kid and I became kind of fixated on them.

I do remember seeing Yak Face as a kid on the old Planetary Map, but it was just for a brief moment and I never thought he had actually been made.

I was 13 in 1986, getting ready to start 8th grade when I first saw the POTF figures already on clearance racks. All through high school my brother and I began accumulating the old collections from all of our friends who were outgrowing Star Wars. Even then, I never saw a single one of the POTF figures and their legendary status just kept growing in my mind.

In fact, the first time I ever saw any of the POTF figures in person was in 1996, when I bought a Barada figure. Ten years after first becoming aware of the line.

So right now, I'm operating under the theory that missing out on the last 14 Star Wars figures is the source of my collecting obsession. If that's true, then I hope to see a significant drop in my desire to buy new products in 2008. I believe that a thousand dollars spent on these figures now will save me thousands later on down the road in impulse purchases.

Of course now, for the first time ever, my Star Wars collection is crossing the line into the investment category, since these figures are still commanding high prices on ebay. So, I'm becoming more concerned about storage and lighting and humidity and stuff like that.

I know that sunlight and flourescent bulbs are bad, bad, bad. Which stinks because I spent a bunch of money a year ago on those spiral shaped, energy saver bulbs and I can already see the effect they've had on my newer figures. My favorite 2006 VTSC Biker Scout is already showing some minor color change on his limbs compared to the VTSC Biker Scouts that I've kept stored in a dark closet.

Any advice anyone might have on "non-destructive" lighting, display cases and controlling humidity would be much appreciated.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

BigB:

I know direct sunlight is a no-no, and I would imagine just about any other artificial light would, in time, be a problem, too. I would limit light exposure if possible. Sucks, I know for displays.

Being a fingerprint guy, I know just handling the figures over time can have its issues. Our sweat contains amino acids, fatty acids, and salts which can actually etch onto a surface like blisters on cards or the figures themselves.

I think (high) humidity would be more of an issue for a carded collection than a loose one (IMO). We're lucky to live in a region where humidity is not an issue. If humidity is a problem, maybe investing in a portable de-humidifier would be in order.

Our collection (my son's and mine) are boxed away in the house and out of harm's way. Periodic checking has shown us that we're doing things right.

To keep handling of loose figures to a minimum, yet being able to view them maybe this site would be of help to you for display. It would make sense to me to invest in these since your collection has reached investment levels. Our collection is a carded one for the most part, and a few figures of merit (signed, for example) are in protective cases.

http://www.protechproductsinc.com/starwars.htm

Hope this helps.

TI7
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    BigB:

I know direct sunlight is a no-no, and I would imagine just about any other artificial light would, in time, be a problem, too. I would limit light exposure if possible. Sucks, I know for displays.

Being a fingerprint guy, I know just handling the figures over time can have its issues. Our sweat contains amino acids, fatty acids, and salts which can actually etch onto a surface like blisters on cards or the figures themselves.

I think (high) humidity would be more of an issue for a carded collection than a loose one (IMO). We're lucky to live in a region where humidity is not an issue. If humidity is a problem, maybe investing in a portable de-humidifier would be in order.

Our collection (my son's and mine) are boxed away in the house and out of harm's way. Periodic checking has shown us that we're doing things right.

To keep handling of loose figures to a minimum, yet being able to view them maybe this site would be of help to you for display. It would make sense to me to invest in these since your collection has reached investment levels. Our collection is a carded one for the most part, and a few figures of merit (signed, for example) are in protective cases.

http://www.protechproductsinc.com/starwars.htm

Hope this helps.

TI7
    Thanks for the link! I think the acrylic sports cases might actually be a better fit for what I want.

Unfortunately, the standard cases for the loose vintage figures are usually only designed for the average Star Wars figure. The two figures in the POTF line that would probably never fit in those action figure cases would be Amanaman (the largest figure in the line - as long as you don't count Jabba) and Han Carbonite (the figure with the largest accessory - as long as you don't count Max Rebo... or Jabba).

Since I want a uniform method of storage and display, I don't really want to have to buy one kind of holder for most of the figure and a completely different kind of holder for Amanaman and Han.

I guess those little snap cases for loose modern figures would work, but I think they look tacky, so they're not an option.

Right now my solution is this:

It's a Plano fishing tackle box that I found in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart for under $9. It has enough customizability to store the different sized figures; but jostling the case around too much would probably damage the figures just as badly as no storage whatsoever. It's a great low-cost solution for right now; but I want something more permanent and more visually appealing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planostorage2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	16767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planostorage.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	16768  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Unfortunately, the standard cases for the loose vintage figures are usually only designed for the average Star Wars figure.

Since I want a uniform method of storage and display, I don't really want to have to buy one kind of holder for most of the figure and a completely different kind of holder for Amanaman and Han.

It's a Plano fishing tackle box that I found in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart for under $9. It's a great low-cost solution for right now; but I want something more permanent and more visually appealing.
    Same for me on most of those counts, BB. I have my loose weapons in three of those WM boxes (vintage, post-1995 classic trilogy, & Prequel), while my loose figs are in cardboard boxes, piled on top of each other, or in the vinyl SW/ESB/ROJ, Vader/Threepio/Falcon/POTF2 box carry cases.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Well, I finally found a really nice PU Saber R2 that's actually in the United States, so I bought it for $95. It's very clean with a nice sticker. Sooo, once all these figures show up, I'll have a complete loose collection of the last-15 POTF figures.

(I own Paploo and Lumat, but I don't consider them a part of the POTF line, since they originally showed up on ROTJ cards.)

THANK YOU! I am on a personal crusade to rid the world of the "Last 17" crap. It is indeed the last 15! Whoo-Who!
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    I love it when I win auctions like that. What are real Battle Wagons going for these days? I don't recall them being that much when I last looked at getting one. I guess everything is relative. A Battle Wagon might be cheap relative to an A-Wing, but expensive compared to a X-Wing.

A complete Ewok Battle Wagon can go for more than an A-Wing just due to the many more pieces that can go missing and or break. But looking at completed auctions on Ebay shows that the prices have come way down on both of these. A complete wagon with the box sold for $138 and a complete A-Wing sold for $58. A MISB A-Wing only went for $250! Looks like it is finally time to build my vintage A-Wing fleet.

I got my Ewok Battle Wagon as a boy so I did not have to really pay anything for it. I do need to replace the cage as the joints are breaking. I bought my A-Wing for $100. No stickers and the cockpit hinge is cracked. Also, it had some breaks inside to the landing gear system. Those were repaired with no obvious effects.
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716

Quote Originally Posted by sjd9299 View Post
    THANK YOU! I am on a personal crusade to rid the world of the "Last 17" crap. It is indeed the last 15! Whoo-Who!
    I've never really understood Paploo and Lumat's inclusion in the "last 17." Probably due to the fact that I owned them for over a year before seeing my very first POTF cardback. So, they were never anything special.

Anakin was kind of a different story though, since the 92-back was the first time that that particular figure was included in the regular lineup and not as a special offer.

Yak Face, of course, was a part of the 93 figures who were shown on the Planetary Maps, so he's a part of the group even though he was never available in America.

So, yes, "last 15" is the correct term. Who came up with "last 17" anyway? Was it Steve Sansweet?

A complete Ewok Battle Wagon can go for more than an A-Wing just due to the many more pieces that can go missing and or break. But looking at completed auctions on Ebay shows that the prices have come way down on both of these. A complete wagon with the box sold for $138 and a complete A-Wing sold for $58. A MISB A-Wing only went for $250! Looks like it is finally time to build my vintage A-Wing fleet.

I got my Ewok Battle Wagon as a boy so I did not have to really pay anything for it. I do need to replace the cage as the joints are breaking. I bought my A-Wing for $100. No stickers and the cockpit hinge is cracked. Also, it had some breaks inside to the landing gear system. Those were repaired with no obvious effects.
    I think a lot of vintage vehicles are dropping in price. I was bidding on a vintage B-Wing with the box and my max bid was $20, just because I wasn't really too concerned about getting it and knew I would get outbid. But I didn't get outbid for four days and, even then, it wasn't until just a few minutes before the auction ended. Turns out, this poor guy on Ebay ended up having to part with his vintage B-Wing for $22.50! If I had known, I would have gladly taken it off his hands for $25.

It's a Plano fishing tackle box that I found in the sporting goods section of Wal-Mart for under $9. It has enough customizability to store the different sized figures; but jostling the case around too much would probably damage the figures just as badly as no storage whatsoever. It's a great low-cost solution for right now; but I want something more permanent and more visually appealing.
    I would drill holes above each figure in the lid, particularly above white figures and figures with labels. Those cases are made out of relatively cheap plastics that emit gases over time and will contribute to a terrarium effect without a vent. That's what I do for my modern stormtroopers in those cases, anyway. It's good you are staying away from ziplock bags, they are the worst.

I have my vintage figures stored in the old school Vintage cases. I have seen figures that have been stored in those things for years that still look wonderful. I think the most difficult figures to keep nice are astrodroids. Those white stickers are just a nightmare to keep nice. I don't have a popup saber R2 yet, but I'm thinking of opening a beater and slabbing it.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

A complete Ewok Battle Wagon can go for more than an A-Wing just due to the many more pieces that can go missing and or break. But looking at completed auctions on Ebay shows that the prices have come way down on both of these. A complete wagon with the box sold for $138 and a complete A-Wing sold for $58. A MISB A-Wing only went for $250!
    Really? I would have thought supply demand dynamics would be playing a bigger role. The A-Wing has much higher demand, but about the same supply as the Battle Wagon. It's been a while since I've tracked an A-Wing. The last complete Battle Wagon I tracked went for about $60. That was about 6 months ago. Maybe the Hasbro re-releases have A-Wing prices depressed.

I've never really understood Paploo and Lumat's inclusion in the "last 17." Probably due to the fact that I owned them for over a year before seeing my very first POTF cardback. So, they were never anything special.

Anakin was kind of a different story though, since the 92-back was the first time that that particular figure was included in the regular lineup and not as a special offer.

Yak Face, of course, was a part of the 93 figures who were shown on the Planetary Maps, so he's a part of the group even though he was never available in America.

So, yes, "last 15" is the correct term. Who came up with "last 17" anyway? Was it Steve Sansweet?
    It's the Brits! It's those tea junkies that came up that that idiotic term. Palitoy released Paploo and Lumat at the same time as the POTF figures. So in the UK Paploo and Lumat are as rare as the POTF figures. Some idiot came up with the term and some more idiots thought it was a good term. Thanks the web the term leaked off that island and infected rest of the world. The "last 17" has about as much meaning as the "last 5", "last 15" or "last 47". The correct term should be POTF. That's the logo and how the rest are defined. Let's use some common sense.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane