Page 48 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    Maybe the Hasbro re-releases have A-Wing prices depressed.
    Having been in the game a long time, I can state with certainty that whenever Hasbro re-released a vintage vehicle in the modern line, the value of that vintage vehicle dropped easily in half. I once paid $100 for a loose Y-wing in 1998. $40-50 today. Likewise, the b-wing and A-wing similarly crashed. The Droids A-wing used to go for $600 boxed, easy.

These days, only MIMB items seem to really fetch a premium.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I agree with you Jon. Prices on anything not MOC, MIB, MOMC, MIMP has dropped significantly. The only thing that dropped that was never released again has been the Ewok Village. I have seen some selling for 20-30 bucks, when 4 years ago they were 80-100
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000 View Post
    Having been in the game a long time, I can state with certainty that whenever Hasbro re-released a vintage vehicle in the modern line, the value of that vintage vehicle dropped easily in half. I once paid $100 for a loose Y-wing in 1998. $40-50 today. Likewise, the b-wing and A-wing similarly crashed. The Droids A-wing used to go for $600 boxed, easy.

These days, only MIMB items seem to really fetch a premium.
    I can also say that with 100% certainty. I brought my vintage Y-Wing right after Hasbro released their's around 2000. I watched the price drop more than half. I got a loose Y-Wing complete, with box and instructions for like $50. But if you weight too long the price goes back up. I saw thing with both the skiff and A-Wing. The first Hasbro A-Wing came out around '97 and the vintage price dropped. I bought my vintage A-Wing around '99-'00 and had to pay around $170 to get one.

What I'm wondering is if there is market saturation with the A-Wing. People who want just a loose one will buy which is the cheaper, normally the modern, freeing up the vintage loose ones. Also there maybe a glut of low end A-Wings on the market right now. If the high end ones start selling again you might see the prices jump again.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I would drill holes above each figure in the lid, particularly above white figures and figures with labels. Those cases are made out of relatively cheap plastics that emit gases over time and will contribute to a terrarium effect without a vent. That's what I do for my modern stormtroopers in those cases, anyway. It's good you are staying away from ziplock bags, they are the worst.

I have my vintage figures stored in the old school Vintage cases. I have seen figures that have been stored in those things for years that still look wonderful. I think the most difficult figures to keep nice are astrodroids. Those white stickers are just a nightmare to keep nice. I don't have a popup saber R2 yet, but I'm thinking of opening a beater and slabbing it.
    I hadn't thought of that, thanks. I had some of these fishing tackle boxes for over ten years and the plastic on them is getting pretty foggy. I guess they're cheap enough that I could just keep replacing them every few years.

The old Kenner cases would have been my first choice, but there are several problems with those. The vinyl box cases are designed for the original 21 action figures and aren't going to fit figures like Amanaman and Han Carbonite without some significant modifications. Plus, I haven't had much luck finding good condition ones for a reasonable price.

I like the Darth Vader and C-3PO cases, but those would also require some modifications for the larger figures. I've only used the 'flat' sides of those cases in the past, though. I just never liked having my figures rocking back and forth on the reverse facial features of Vader and Threepio. Plus if you have both sides full of figures, closing the case becomes this delicate balancing act that I've never been able to master.

I've actually been thinking about padding the insides of these cases to keep plastic from banging against plastic when they get moved around. I know that foam rubber is out of the question, so I'm thinking about lining the compartments with felt from a craft store.

But if I'm going to get that fancy, then I should start thinking of a custom-made wooden display case, with some kind of UV-protected acrylic window to view all the figures. Similar to how sports fans display autographed baseballs, gloves, jerseys, whatever. But I don't want the figures sealed away forever, so I would at least need to be able to open it up and pull the figures out whenever I want. Even if I only open it up once every few years, the option still needs to be there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    It's the Brits! It's those tea junkies that came up that that idiotic term. Palitoy released Paploo and Lumat at the same time as the POTF figures. So in the UK Paploo and Lumat are as rare as the POTF figures. Some idiot came up with the term and some more idiots thought it was a good term. Thanks the web the term leaked off that island and infected rest of the world. The "last 17" has about as much meaning as the "last 5", "last 15" or "last 47". The correct term should be POTF. That's the logo and how the rest are defined. Let's use some common sense.
    I always referred to them as "the Power of the Force figures" up until about 2001 or 2002, when I started talking to a lot of other collectors on the internet. But then that term can cause confusion because of the 1995-99 POTF line. POTF2 is a distinction the collectors have created to separate the line from the original 1985 POTF figures, but if you look on ebay you'll see plenty of people who don't know the difference.

Unfortunately, using the term "1985 POTF figures" would also include the 22 vintage figures that were rereleased on the POTF card. So, as crappy a term as "last 15" or "last 17" are, they are quickest way to describe exactly what group of figures you are talking about (like the term "12-backs").

I finally purchased a Radio-Controlled Jawa Sandcrawler this week, bringing me within 3 vehicles of completing my vintage collection. (Except for the accursed micro collection!)It took me ages to find one still working with all the parts, battery cover, ladder etc. Is any one else within ten or so items of achieving their dream collection? I guess once completed I'll find other avenues to start on, Droids series and more.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    The vinyl box cases are designed for the original 21 action figures and aren't going to fit figures like Amanaman and Han Carbonite without some significant modifications.

I've actually been thinking about padding the insides of these cases to keep plastic from banging against plastic when they get moved around. I know that foam rubber is out of the question, so I'm thinking about lining the compartments with felt from a craft store.
    Yeah, Carb Han is a problem. I keep him in the unsealed original card plastics. For the really delicate figures (wait until you get Blue snags- look at the boots wrong and silver will come off!) I just wrap 'em in a plain kleenex or toilet tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by omnithx View Post
    Is any one else within ten or so items of achieving their dream collection? I guess once completed I'll find other avenues to start on, Droids series and more.
    I have 6 figures to go to complete my loose vintage set, which is about as far as I can go with the amount of space I have. Congrats on the Sandy. Is the sticker on the remote nice?
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I like the Darth Vader and C-3PO cases, but those would also require some modifications for the larger figures. I've only used the 'flat' sides of those cases in the past, though. I just never liked having my figures rocking back and forth on the reverse facial features of Vader and Threepio. Plus if you have both sides full of figures, closing the case becomes this delicate balancing act that I've never been able to master.
    The 3PO case is one of your better beats. It has two large spaces that I'm very sure Amanaman will fit in without modifications. That other option for Amanaman is the Laser Rifle case. I know Amanaman fit in one of those spaces because that where I've got my. Han fit anywhere, but I think your screwed in terms of the Carbon block. I put that in my AT-AT a long with Max Rebo's organ.

Unfortunately, using the term "1985 POTF figures" would also include the 22 vintage figures that were rereleased on the POTF card. So, as crappy a term as "last 15" or "last 17" are, they are quickest way to describe exactly what group of figures you are talking about (like the term "12-backs").
    That's why the term # back is used. Anybody that think a 92 back Yoda or 92 back Vader is a POTF figure is also idiot. I've never heard somebody refer to Hoth Luke, Bespin Leia or the TIE Fighter pilot as ROTJ figures, there ESB figures. If somebody says POTF I what exactly what they mean. They mean the 15 figures that were first released on the POTF cards.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by omnithx View Post
    Is any one else within ten or so items of achieving their dream collection? I guess once completed I'll find other avenues to start on, Droids series and more.
    I guess I am, my dream collection from my childhood would have been the 15 POTF figures, and I have all of those now (well technically I've purchased them all, but am still waiting on four of them in the mail).

Anyways, that does bring up the question of "what next?" I had thought about getting all 37 vintage figures that were available on the POTF cards, but I'm only within 3 action figures of accomplishing that goal (Yoda, Ben Kenobi and the AT-ST Driver).

Since I don't have the coins for all 15 POTF figures, I might as well work on getting those next. Then I guess maybe the POTF vehicles of which I only have modern rereleases.

I have 6 figures to go to complete my loose vintage set, which is about as far as I can go with the amount of space I have. Congrats on the Sandy. Is the sticker on the remote nice?
    The sticker in intact on both sides of the remote with only minor wear on the ends. Pretty good for 30 years+, the previous owner must've only driven it to church on Sundays.