Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 ... LastLast
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Recently picked up 65 vintage Star Wars figures with 3 Darth Vader collector cases for $100 off craigslist.com. A very good deal. [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones1981 View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Recently picked up 65 vintage Star Wars figures with 3 Darth Vader collector cases for $100 off craigslist.com. A very good deal. [/FONT]
    Nice!

I picked up yet another carded Barada figure, this time with a minor variation in the punch hole (I only care because it's Barada). So my Barada focus collection is coming along nicely:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barada-focus2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	23421  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I like your focus collection, bigbarada! I didn't realize that there was a date stamp variation out there. I've always been a fan of the POTF sand skimmer, too. Bravo!
    "Is that the Six Million Dollar Man's boss?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Law Student View Post
    I like your focus collection, bigbarada! I didn't realize that there was a date stamp variation out there. I've always been a fan of the POTF sand skimmer, too. Bravo!
    Yep, I noticed it in 2008 when I was comparing the Barada that I got out of the 1984 Jabba's Dungeon playset and the Barada that I pulled off of a POTF card. I'm thinking that, since the Sears exclusive playset would have been sold through catalogues in 1984, then maybe the earliest of those sets had the 1984 Baradas. I have no idea why it would have been changed though. I also found variations between the Jabba's Dungeon Amanaman and EV-9D9 and their carded counterparts as well. But those are just paint variations, not different datestamps.

Unfortunately, I had to sell off my entire vintage collection in 2008 when the economy went south (most of the money went to paying my rent). When I finally decided to actively seek out another Barada with the 1984 datestamp, it took me almost a year of checking Ebay and asking sellers to check the datestamps on their figures before I found another one. So, I believe that the 1984 datestamp is most likely the rarer of the two.

I really like the Sand Skimmer as well, it's like Star Wars' answer to the Seguey!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Hey
    I'm a newb here, just decided to get my collection started, hoping to get all the old loose figures to display with some of my lifesize stuff, just bought the vintage cloud car, got a lando with it, also bought lobot, luke in hoth gear, luke in x wing and jedi gear.
    i'll probably end up repainting as a couple of them look like they've been well loved, , haven't paid a lot so far, but i'm sure as i go along it'll get more expensive

Welcome, monstermaker! Ah, the freedom of being a new vintage collector... I recall those days fondly. You'll find some great deals, wonder if you paid too much for some POTF ones, and other fun situations. Good luck. My basic advice is to not act too impulsively; if you think it's a good price, go for it. If not, be patient. Qui-Gon had the right idea.
    "That's what Sheev said."

thanks for the welcome, i've been making and collecting props for years now, and just thought it would be nice to bring some old friends home again, seems its like a minefield out there collecting wise.
    I'll be trying to research on here before i buy anything major

well i've been buying again, just paid for around 13 loose figures of various buyers, since i've been buying through ebay had a few people mail offering me stuff, a slightly yellowing stormtrooper with no weapon loose for 25 quid! seems off to me,

Is there anywhere i can go for advice on prices etc when buying these figures, i know i'm a newb, just wary of getting stung

Your use of "quid" tells me you're in Europe somewhere; am I right? I always use the $5 base amount, meaning if I find a loose figure in good condition (even without an accessory) that I needed, then I went for it guilt-free. So, whatever $5 US is where you live, is what I use as a starting point (because I am also a cheapskate ). If I think it might be rare, I'll move up from $5 (i.e. any POTF figure would likely be no less than $20 loose, and many early ESB or SW are more near $10). Most I ever paid for loose SW figures was about $90 US for Carbonite Han or $70 for Yak Face (interestingly, I've bought few carded vintage ones, and the highest I paid was about $35).

I can't think of a good price site offhand, but I'm sure someone else here can.
    "That's what Sheev said."

thanks for that, yes i'm from Liverpool, england, i had seen the later figures like the last 17 were more expensive, and some of the earlier figures as you say.
    Its been a fun journey so far and i'm only a couple of weeks into it.